A&H

Horrible U13s match

The Referee Store
Doesn't necessarily matter if captains take advice on board or not, talking to the captains emphasises to all that your patience is at an end.

I had an U15s where EVERY decision was met with some sort of dissent from someone, called the captains in (U15s) said I wasn't putting up with it any longer and it stopped, if it hadn't next dissent would have been carded.

Yeah, I'm not going to be using the captains at U/12 level. I'd be very unlikely to use it at any level below U/18, unless it tends to be a particularly high level team or the captain really seems to be acting like a captain.

As for this particular team, 3 players are a major pain in the backside, who just happen to be the manager and his assistant's sons and the so called captain. Non stop moaning about any thing and everything, as for the other 12 players they have in their squad apart from "how long left ref?", they never say a word.

Then just throw cards at them. They'll soon learn. And the dads/coaches will respect you as long as you can explain the decision after!

Have to admit even after 6 years in black, this is probably my biggest weakness. (if you hadn't guessed already :) ). Sunday was a big wake up call for me and made me realise I have been far too soft on certain offences when taking charge of the younger age groups and it came back and bit me.

Have spoken to the manager and the players in question since the game and made it absolutely clear that if that if they continue to behave they way they did on Sunday, they will end up watching a lot of games from the side lines.

I did mostly U13's and 14's all last season.

Gave plenty of yellows for dissent. Not a particularly nice age group, I had allegations of racism, abuse from coaches to deal with.

I remember carding one player for singing a song to make fun of me right behind me at half time whilst waiting for the other team to come back onto the pitch. Of course he was shocked to see the yellow. Another started mimicking something I'd said to him after evry decision.

Fairly sure I was a lot of teams first Yellow Cards :)!

I'm 17 though and I think they don't give as much respect to younger refs.

Sometimes with that u13 to u14 age group you just need to pull them up and show a card. Being lenient will led to them thinking they can get away with their idiotic behavior.

Back