A&H

Horrible Little B*stards

My county FA takes a very dim view of referee intimidation as do the local county leagues. If the FA deal with it the police more often than not stay well clear.

As a victim of assault whilst reffing I know first hand how interested the FA were (5 year ban) and disinterested the police were.

The Referee Store
I was verbally abused and threatened by a player on the way back to the station after the game, I reported it and the player was charged. The assumption that once you reach the changing room you no longer have any jurisdiction or responsibilities is, frankly, nonsense. If that was the case then aggrieved players would be waiting in the car park each and every week for referees to emerge from the changing rooms ..!

As a referee you are always "on duty", like some other professions, regardless if you are working at the time or being paid as someone mentioned previously you are always on duty. As a Police Officer, if you see an offence and you aren't on shift you can't just walk on by. As a doctor/nurse/paramedic, if you see an incident that requires medical attention but you are not on shift you cannot ignore it, if you do, like as a Police Officer you will face disciplinary proceedings.

Correct me if I am wrong, but no-one here is a professional referee and many do this as a hobby so the money isn't the reason they get up on a Saturday/Sunday morning to go out and potentially be assaulted, but much like I go about my everyday personal life away from the field I do not walk around looking for a fight either, no person with an ounce of common sense would.

Even the professional referees are on duty 24/7, I've read many a news article where such referees have been reprimanded or had questions regarding their conduct raised for matters not related to the job they are paid to do. This results in disciplinary meetings and suspensions from the game.

If you consider it appropriate to consider lashing out either verbally or physically because someone challenges you then perhaps consideration should be given to whether refereeing is right for you.

Some well respected members of this forum have already confirmed that irrespective where an assault on a referee takes place it will be treated by the relevant County FA.

Yeah I bet that is what the top referees do... That is wholly unprofessional and frowned upon. Mr Freethinker, I really do believe that you think a little too freely (like what I've done there?). After reading your post regarding talking to the players and explaining decisons, you're now saying about engaging with the players to tell them what they did wrong?

The one thing I have learnt from refereeing, which I learnt very early on was to be the bigger man. By "pointing out his numerous errors", you're not being the bigger man, you're just being a d**k!

This sort of player I would just ignore. I would suggest that if he didn't feel my performance was up to his teams expectations, he should take the appropriate action and mark me accordingly, backing it up with a report. Converstation closed. Don't start having a bloody argument with anyone there and then, what is that going to achieve other than more animosity?

Agree with this. I'd also like to add that whilst ever you are sent to the ground for league/cup duties by a competition secretary you are a representative of the league/fa who sent you and so should act accordingly.

You say "You are considered to be a referee representing your county until you have left the ground and even beyond" thereby you are covered by them for what? If a player punches you in the carpark you report him to the FA and they deal with it? Not over here it's a police matter and well within your rights to protect yourself! As for suggesting I said to pick a fight? As stated the opening poster and DB suggested violence as an option I suggested verbal rebuke. However, GraemeS you have come on to lambast me because I dared to have a difference of opinion with you on another thread! Man up ffs Db suggests throwing a cheeky right hook why aren't you criticising him or the opening poster for suggesting he wouldn't last ten seconds? Is that ok, would the county FA consider that to be appropriate behaviour or is that you just want to argue with me? Still looking for popularity..sending you a big hug there, there son it will be ok the players will like you when you explain yourself to them diddums!

You represent your employment, associations and other loyalties (family etc) at all times, whether you choose for that to be the case or not.

Most employers have written in staff contracts that should their conduct outside of work reflect badly on the business they can be disciplined or dismissed. Same with kids at school - schools often deal with things that happen outside school hours if the schools name becomes tarnished through these actions.

Voluntary positions are no different. I know of a local man who had volunteered at a local church organisation who was 'sacked' following a conviction for domestic violence following beating his wife unconscious, and another who was fired from a voluntary position at a hospice for repeatedly breaching a restraining order involving a person who was nothing to do with said hospice.

Organisations don't want bad press regardless, and like it or not, we represent our CFA's or The FA at all times

Agree with this. I'd also like to add that whilst ever you are sent to the ground for league/cup duties by a competition secretary you are a representative of the league/fa who sent you and so should act accordingly.
On MOAS, Observers have the option of reporting misconduct for games involving L3 referees and above. I reported misconduct at a game a few weeks ago at a Supply game. The County FA have processed it and it is expected that charges will be issued. Also reported misconduct at a L3 game last season and club charged.

We're not just there to watch the game.

On MOAS, Observers have the option of reporting misconduct for games involving L3 referees and above. I reported misconduct at a game a few weeks ago at a Supply game. The County FA have processed it and it is expected that charges will be issued. Also reported misconduct at a L3 game last season and club charged.

We're not just there to watch the game.

Was the same misconduct reported by the officials, or was it stand alone from an observer?

Was the same misconduct reported by the officials, or was it stand alone from an observer?
In the first incident the referee was aware of something but couldn't report details. His report said he was aware of "a commotion". In the second incident, the referee and active AR were dealing with something else. He didn't see it.

If a player punches you in the carpark you report him to the FA and they deal with it? Not over here it's a police matter and well within your rights to protect yourself!!
Okay....you know the two can overlap, right?
Somebody punches you on the field, you're going to report it to the police AND the FA, yes? Same if the player punches you in the car park. Or next week at the shops yells out 'hey, you're the ***** that sent me off!' and keys your car. You're going to report it to both.

:wall:

Did my first Sunday pub league game for at least a year today, 8C outside, balmy weather for end of November, two combative sides (with history) and all went well without a hitch. No cards, 2 pens, and all shook hands at the end. A few of the normal moans and groans but I think my former reputation in this league went before me and they were well warned and behaved well.... Took me a few years to get to be Mr B'stard, i'm not now but it worked a treat them still thinking it!! ;)

Interesting debate.

For me, the idea that you no longer have any responsibility after leaving the ground is, quite frankly, nonsense. As a referee, you are a role model and a certain standard of behaviour is expected of you AT ALL TIMES, like it or not. Using myself as an example for a second here. I've been refereeing for ten years in the same area for many of the same teams, people recognise me in the street as a referee; if I behave inappropriately, that reflects badly on the FA.

Okay....you know the two can overlap, right?
Somebody punches you on the field, you're going to report it to the police AND the FA, yes? Same if the player punches you in the car park. Or next week at the shops yells out 'hey, you're the ***** that sent me off!' and keys your car. You're going to report it to both.

No I report it to the PSNI, IFA aren't interested if it happens outside your official capacity as a referee. Brian Hamilton will understand the situation I Norn iron better when not all threats come form individuals but organisations may be involved. For instance, local referee walking his dog threatened by known paramilitary months after he had abandoned a game the team were involved in. Sanctions none why? Because he couldn't be proven that the ref was threatened because he was a referee - real reason thugs rule Norn Iron!

Back