The Ref Stop

Help with this one please

as an addition to this, presumably it was said for all to hear too including players and parents/spectators? It’s just unacceptable he n Ed’s to keep his opinion to himself. There is still too much of this and much worse towards referees, showing a red maybe the only way that this manager will change his behaviour

The Ref Stop
@Ori wouldn't worry about an appeal on OFFINABUS. They are pretty hard to appeal and honestly if the manager has come on to deal with an injury. Walked over and said either you are awful or your decision is awful. Then it comes down to the delivery. Go with your original gut and stick to it.

Most managers in that scenario (almost all) will mention the foul, and ask why it isn't a foul. Then no matter what you say, they'll add something snide to the end.

Secondly and just a tip I'm implementing in my game. The goal has been scored. You are not a medical expert. So STICK WITH THE HAPPY PEOPLE. If a player needs medical assistance, call the medical on (this case the manager). Don't hang around as no one will have anything nice to say to you as someone is down injured and a goal has been conceded.

I got taught this when I tried to explain a blatant penalty decision to someone who gave away a blatant penalty. I ended up sinbinning him. I had a Level 3 AR who's words to me were along the lines of that sin bin is mostly my own fault, as I basically invited it.

Last edited:
Secondly and just a tip I'm implementing in my game. The goal has been scored. You are not a medical expert. So STICK WITH THE HAPPY PEOPLE. If a player needs medical assistance, call the medical on (this case the manager). Don't hang around as no one will have anything nice to say to you as someone is down injured and a goal has been conceded.

I am going to go with this, it is better to stay out of the way I reckon.

I am going to go with this, it is better to stay out of the way I reckon.
Another important reason to stay a decent distance away, is if the manager screams at you from 20/30 yards you are awful, or the decision is awful. It will feel less personal as it is so far away, so removes a little emotion and will be the easiest caution of your life, as if they chooses to shout that, they chooses to receive disciplinary action.

While, they probably expect a cheeky quiet word, they can just deny it (which won't work) or gaslight you into thinking you misheard.

Another important reason to stay a decent distance away, is if the manager screams at you from 20/30 yards you are awful, or the decision is awful. It will feel less personal as it is so far away, so removes a little emotion and will be the easiest caution of your life, as if they chooses to shout that, they chooses to receive disciplinary action.

While, they probably expect a cheeky quiet word, they can just deny it (which won't work) or gaslight you into thinking you misheard.
Sold to the rubbish Scottish referee who has never even thought of something so logical in his short rubbish career!

2* match ban
@Ori wouldn't worry about an appeal on OFFINABUS. They are pretty hard to appeal
I should point out that red cards for team officials are not automatic punishments like players' dismissals are - they are dealt with via misconduct charges, so it's entirely possible that the manager could choose to deny the charge and request a hearing.

Ultimately, as a red has been shown a red needs to be reported. It's up to your County FA what happens from there. You can always phone your RDO or the Discipline Officer and discuss it with them.

Back