A&H

help please

oh was gonna say i havent been told of any changes this season lol

The Referee Store
arran you get a folder and an interactive dvd, it is pretty good. we would not normally get free kit with the RN but they were just going to throw out the old stuff and so donated it to us :D and it is all in great condition hardly worn and a plus is it is umbro with the RNFA gold badge which we are not really allowed to wear until we have done an inter commands game so winner winner chicken dinner.

Andy and Ryan, how long did it take for your pre-course study pack to arrive? Just so I have a rough idea on when it's nearing :)

Also, glad you had a good time Ryan!

not long for me blackers, i did my course with the Royal Navy FA so they were on it, you can however google the basic referee pre course study pack and down load it print it off many times and fill it in as much as you like, also it is worth google fifa laws of the game 2012/2013 and download that and read through it i would not print this as it is massive, i can't really help you anymore with that sorry google anything you can.

stop the press infact i think there is links under new referees helpful documents.

So I assume I would be able to print a pack out from one of those links and take that to the course as opposed to waiting for one to come through?

So I assume I would be able to print a pack out from one of those links and take that to the course as opposed to waiting for one to come through?
yeah i did and they did not even bother looking at it but that does not mean the same for you, i would certainly get a copy of the laws read it a few times, and as the course goes on it will all come together and start making sense, it is not until you have to apply the laws though until you full appreciate what your about to learn, and it is amazing how much you think you know about football until you have done this course. good luck (you will not need it really just being polite).

and don't forget to come back here, after your course during you first games, i had loads of help from these guys getting over the horrors of my first match, we are all still learning, and from each other too. ;)

yeah i did and they did not even bother looking at it but that does not mean the same for you, i would certainly get a copy of the laws read it a few times, and as the course goes on it will all come together and start making sense, it is not until you have to apply the laws though until you full appreciate what your about to learn, and it is amazing how much you think you know about football until you have done this course. good luck (you will not need it really just being polite).

and don't forget to come back here, after your course during you first games, i had loads of help from these guys getting over the horrors of my first match, we are all still learning, and from each other too. ;)
Will do ;) Though some of the stories I've seen on here are a bit scary - 9 reds in one game?! :eek:

Though some of the stories I've seen on here are a bit scary - 9 reds in one game?! :eek:
sooner it happens the better! sounds horrible but you learn from it and become a better referee from it. maybe its how to prevent it (don't forget we are only human) how to deal with it, how to stop it and then how best to report it.
bit unprofessional but also when your a referee in the early days you get more sympathy if things go wrong or something like this happens and you mess something up i.e the report you send in meaning you get help to make sure it doesn't happen again compared to if you've refereed a few years and again an example send in a poorly written misconduct report.
Although if you can get it right 1st time the better IMHO.

your first card is always the worst, and your first straight red is just as exciting, your RDO should give you a mentor, i have not got one as the Devon County FA say it is up to my parent county, and the only mentor with in my area is very busy at the moment with him promo from 6 to 4. so this place has been a life line, a little chat and an email goes along way to boosting your mental attitude, towards your next game, don't do what i did and beat yourself up i have had 7 games in the middle and i still don't know what i am doing but i am getting there, my biggest problem is consistency with fouls, and i get the odd corner/goal kick wrong sometimes. every game is different and i get nervous just before kick off but 3 to 4 mins in i am settled now. don't worry mate you will be fine just think how howard webb must of felt when he was about to blow the start of the world cup final in 2010, and that was a horrible game for any ref.

your first card is always the worst, and your first straight red is just as exciting, your RDO should give you a mentor, i have not got one as the Devon County FA say it is up to my parent county, and the only mentor with in my area is very busy at the moment with him promo from 6 to 4. so this place has been a life line, a little chat and an email goes along way to boosting your mental attitude, towards your next game, don't do what i did and beat yourself up i have had 7 games in the middle and i still don't know what i am doing but i am getting there, my biggest problem is consistency with fouls, and i get the odd corner/goal kick wrong sometimes. every game is different and i get nervous just before kick off but 3 to 4 mins in i am settled now. don't worry mate you will be fine just think how howard webb must of felt when he was about to blow the start of the world cup final in 2010, and that was a horrible game for any ref.
I don't see myself handing out umpteen red cards very often. I'm only 15 so I would be doing youth football for the first 6 months or so at least ;) When you're reffing youth football are you any more lenient towards them?

depending on the age group and the type of foul. under12 and younger i would be there thinking of teaching them rather than punishing them. over 12 i would still be there thinking teach them but any red card offence would still be a red card offence

I don't see myself handing out umpteen red cards very often. I'm only 15 so I would be doing youth football for the first 6 months or so at least ;) When you're reffing youth football are you any more lenient towards them?
spot on mate, things like foul throws and stupid offenses, teach, where you see refs give a player a word before he gets a caution maybe give him an extra one, both times with the captain present so that he can learn, then caution, i would do this up to u14s anything over and sorry they are young men and will be treated as such.

i have 2 kids aged 3 and 4 and i believe that the punishment should fit the age of the child and them rules should be applied in football too.

also as you will be doing youth games, remember so long as you have the offside rule in force you can claim it as one of your 6 games you will know what i am on about when you start the course. think it is module 5.

depending on the age group and the type of foul. under12 and younger i would be there thinking of teaching them rather than punishing them. over 12 i would still be there thinking teach them but any red card offence would still be a red card offence
Yeah, when I played a few years back, our captain kicked out after being tackled and received a caution (C1 I assume). I think it was U13, but everyone was still surprised he wasn't dismissed for S2.

Also Andy, would the captain be as involved in the controlling of the game as he would in open age?

i would try and get them involved as much as pos it can only help them as a player and a person.

Back