The Ref Stop

Heated match, derogative comments

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
So I'm north of the border...
Recent match of mine.
Blues v yellows.

A lot of calls for non fouls (I do have a slightly higher threshold but not to a point I don't give anything). I say get on with play, they have a little moan but then say well done (on advantage calls etc)..
Anyway. I had a few careless/reckless fouls occur in a short period and start blowing up for even the minor ones (so they complain I didn't give the ones earlier in game but are now). I done so as I wanted to reign in my control. Easy yellow (for yellow team) for shirt pulling when attacker past his marker (not dogso). About 10 minutes later a few more borderline challenges and again I start to reign it in. I've given one against yellows, who are, to be fair, the more "dirtier" than the blues and with that the midfielder turns to start walking away from after not agreeing with my decision and calls me an "English ****". He's already tested patience before but I can't be having him call me that, with the game getting a bit heated and 3-4 opponents and touchline hearing it too, and not send him off. If I allowed it I've lost all control.
He laughs, claps and says I'm a joke. Plenty of expected complaints from team mates. It was, however, a minute to half time.
Captain came up to me at half time to ask what was said. Both captains, I have to give them credit, listened, took on board and accepted whether they agreed what was given. I told him, and that I can't be having that on the pitch either.
I said he may deny it but others heard it too. He went over to his mates and I heard the player confirm he called me it.
He told him he is a stupid idiot and played right in to the refs hands.
Mid way through second half, yellows now leading, I've given a goal that, in my honest opinion, had clearly crossed the line. I've got in to the area, right by the 6 yard box as play was bobbling around the goal line, crouched down to get a "better angle" and in all honesty, saw the ball cross the line. But obviously a few back and forth a trying to clear it they didn't believe it did. I've blown, awarded the goal against yellows, and cue pandemonium again! Captain and another player come rushing to me arguing. I've stepped back and said to go away. To the rest of the oncoming players.
Spoke with the two in front of me, explained I saw it go over the line and I've given it. I'm not changing my decision based on their arguing.
Captain walks away and as he's walking he said "cheating son of a bitch".
I blew whistle again, shouted "captain" and showed red card.
He turned, saw the red, and acted all innocent "I was talking to myself!", he claimed. I then said, "yeah, ok. You called yourself a cheating son of a bitch? Not having that, off you go".

Some may say I could have handed the situation(s) better but it was a tiny pitch, and I mean probably more suitable to mid youth age groups, players were always almost on top of each other and I tried to let it flow. Brought it back when needed but comments I can't really let slide. After the 2nd red, I had one further yellow for the blues and that was that. All calm and collected and even plenty of handshakes after, well, mainly from the blues.

The Ref Stop
Bit of advice, sounds like you got into a reasonably good position for the goal. Could you have continued moving, covering 5-6 yards to be even closer when you hit the whistle?
One thing I always do is keep moving, as I am about to blow/blowing the whistle. By the time anyone looks at you they take the position they find you in - it just helps sell the decision a little more.

Bit of advice, sounds like you got into a reasonably good position for the goal. Could you have continued moving, covering 5-6 yards to be even closer when you hit the whistle?
One thing I always do is keep moving, as I am about to blow/blowing the whistle. By the time anyone looks at you they take the position they find you in - it just helps sell the decision a little more.
I probably could've. But I actually wonder if I moved closer to the line I may have missed other things that may have happened.
For me, working alone, I had to make the judgement of seeing more than being on goal line.

I probably could've. But I actually wonder if I moved closer to the line I may have missed other things that may have happened.
For me, working alone, I had to make the judgement of seeing more than being on goal line.
From what you wrote, I’m not sure you quite got @JamesL point. There is where you are when you see what you are going to call, and what you do after. If, as James suggests, you keep moving to be closer as you whistle, it looks like you were in better position to make the correct call. (I’ve reffed with older, slower, very experienced refs who are masters of this.) it’s part of the selling of the call rather than part of being in position to make the call.

From what you wrote, I’m not sure you quite got @JamesL point. There is where you are when you see what you are going to call, and what you do after. If, as James suggests, you keep moving to be closer as you whistle, it looks like you were in better position to make the correct call. (I’ve reffed with older, slower, very experienced refs who are masters of this.) it’s part of the selling of the call rather than part of being in position to make the call.
Ah, so be where I am to see it, move to sell it?

All reported as it should be.
I will say, after a game I had yesterday where in the 2nd half I just gave up (inside), I was already deciding to hang my whistle up.
Hearing the outcome of whats going on with the sending off from Saturday is just confirming my decision really.

Back