A&H

Hearts V Celtic 1st Goal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Celtic will use the same goal kick routine tonight, as they havs for a season and a half. With or without opponents in the box. It will only fall flat if the reciever of the third pass, 25/30 yards up field, slips.
Its happened for, 18 months without question, as until Sunday, the midfielde has not slipped
Cowie in box, yes, goes to Boyata, yes.
Has any bearing on the play ending up at midfielders feet? No
I get the retake theroy!
I also get, and prefer, the play on one which was on display

The Referee Store
I also get, and prefer, the play on one which was on display
You can "get, and prefer" the play here all you want...

But not that it is (since 2016) a breach of the LotG to have that play pressured and continued as it was here.

It's a very simple thing. Yes, this play out of the back is a good thing, and this Law change is actually intended to encourage that (and it does). It's also there to protect against situations like this where the initial reception and/or pass are pressured "illegally", thus protecting against what happened here.

If you cannot wrap your head around that, go talk with an instructor/tutor who are more knowlegable than you (we all have them, no matter how knowledgable we are ourselves) and discuss it with them, and have them explain to you what constitutes a challenge in this case in the eyes of IFAB.

Reactions: one
Have you watched the clip?
The pass is played to its target, no bother at all. When the pass is played, we are off and running, next part of play please
The move breaks down because the midfielder 30 yards up park, slips.
This slip has nothing to do with Cowie being in box or challenging.

Maybe our only elite referee, who is watching the whole thing, is the one who needs additional support.....

Have you watched the clip?
The pass is played to its target, no bother at all.

Perhaps you should watch the clip again. The pass is played behind its target (not to its target) and ends up wrong footing him. The only reason he slips is because he tries to change his direction back to get to the ball which he wouldn't have got to even if he hadn't slipped. And the only reason the ball was played behind him (not to him) was because it was passed under pressure.
But as I said that is all irrelevant.

Am in the minority of 1. Well, 5 if we take the match officials on duty. Am good with that on this occasion.
I look forward to apx 20 retaken goal kicks at Parkhead tonight

And you're still ignoring the possibility that the referee made a mistake - either in not noticing the player in the PA, or not applying the law correctly in the moment. It happens and it doesn't make it not a mistake just because he's got a certain level conferred on him.

I look forward to apx 20 retaken goal kicks at Parkhead tonight
I can understand that it might take a lot of interventions for some to get the message ;) (if they do at all) but I am sure their opponents tonight will get the message after the first retake or two (provided the referee doesn't make the same mistake).

Not for one second imo is it possible these officials dont. A > see Cowie is in the box or B> see him run to Boyata and C> realise being in the box at a gk might need to be penalised.

Only my opinion. Folk are welcome to theirs

Be interested to see the context of Mr Elleray's response. Any links?

So using the same concept, if the attacker attempts to intercept the ball inside the PA and only manages to deflect it to an opponent outside PA you can play advantage, correct?
Can try and dig it out. But it was regarding a belief you cant play advantage for idfk offences, technical offences such as offside. Think the thread was about double touches.
Anyway the laws for advantage say, not word for word, that the referee applies advantage where an offence is committed and there is a benefit to the opponent. It makes no distinguishing reference between different types of offences or restarts where it cannot be applied.

That said I am in the not playing advantage camp here I was merely reflecting on the only opportunity or possibility of playing on from this scenario.

We all know that if a defender comes into the PA to collect a GK, we're immediately ordering a restart, right? And that's still the case even if he fluffs his touch and has it nicked off him by a defender? It's not like a FK where the ball can be in play as soon as it's kicked even if the opponent is inches away, the ball literally doesn't enter play until it leaves the PA without an opponent in range.
Thats 1 interpretation.

In the very extremely unlikely event that playing advantage is a benefit to the team offended against then i believe advantage can be applied.

Also I meant to add that the ball is in play once it leaves the penalty area, still. Being in the penalty area is an offence against law 16 but I dont think that has any bearing on whether the ball is in play or not. Its just mega unlikely that ypu'd play advantage so play should be stopped and gk retaken.

Last edited:
FFS will somebody close this thread...........you lot would argue in an empty house.......hmmm perhaps you all live on your own, it would explain a lot.........

Have I really just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back