A&H

Hearts V Celtic 1st Goal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ball is 10 yards away from Boyata when Cowie gets close to him. If Boyata still has ball at feet, yes, stop, retake.
The ball is long gone by time Cowie gets to him
This is my view and the view I will and would take in a game I am officiating.

The Referee Store
Any other of the LOTG you would recommend we ignore Miley?? Handball, offsides??
Whilst winding up Miley can be fun ... he's actually not now in this case advocating ignoring the Law. Just interpreting the situation (is the attacker challenging for the ball?) differently to everyone else :)

Am wound up? I think not. Am interpretating the situation, rightly or wrongly, the same way as my learned colleagues. If in my side I have the elite referee of my country plus his travelling pal, And on thd other side are two dozen public park refs, most of whom are prob not even active referees, then, am content my side is the correct side to be on
Plus having officiated in this very fixture, that goal kick was never being pulled back

So by that logic we will never ever need a VAR system as the refs on the day were absolutely 100% correct and blameless in not following the fairly explicit LOTG and we can close this forum down for the rest of us old duffers!

This is black and white in my opinion. Is the attacker in the area before the ball is in play, yes. Does he then challenge for the ball, well yes as far as I can see.

People talk about safe refereeing, and it is much, much safer here to have a retake.

All anyone has spoke about for days here is what a great strike by 16 yo

Lets not make it all about us, for least some of the time

I have still this week to hear or see anyone talking outwith this forum about Cowie in the box.

You want to order retake at time Cowie moves to Boyats, fine, the LOTG support you

Am still allowed to interpret it as game on

I spoke to a big Celtic fan today from a company I do business with, he too was unaware of the 1st goal stuff but he didn't really care, he'd been expecting a tonking as the record had become a burden! The players had stopped trying as hard and they got c0cky and just thought they had to turn up. Now the records gone they can concentrate on actually winning games not expecting to win games!!

Last edited:
This is the still image of the exact moment Boyats takes his last touch of the ball

1513726301774.png

I have no idea how anyone with any refereeing experience (or playing experience for that matter) can say he was not not challenged for the ball.

And this is the footage on how Boyats misdirected his pass (by a few yards) under pressure from Cowie.

It should have been the fastest case open and shut you would see on this forum. How on earth it got to three pages of debating is beyond me.

I've argued the impossible over they years, usually in strong tackle type threads but I'll tip my hat to Miley for trying to escape from the hole he was digging!

This is the still image of the exact moment Boyats takes his last touch of the ball

View attachment 1593

I have no idea how anyone with any refereeing experience (or playing experience for that matter) can say he was not not challenged for the ball.

And this is the footage on how Boyats misdirected his pass (by a few yards) under pressure from Cowie.

It should have been the fastest case open and shut you would see on this forum. How on earth it got to three pages of debating is beyond me.

Ok my last post on this. Boyata plays this ball to, Celtic player, top right.
Cowie has clearly been in the box, not really a debate there
Is anyone stopping play if ball goes to Celtic top right, its target?
The only reason this clip exists is because Celtic top right slips.

Attachments

• IMG_5325.JPG
    IMG_5325.JPG
    708.6 KB · Views: 6
This is so clear in law I cant believe its a debate. Just because Joe Bloggs doesnt know the laws and isnt complaining/talking about this incident is not justification for playing on.
What you can do is play advantage if you're interested to see what accrues following the, quite obvious, offence. However no advantage accrues and so really play should have been brought back.
Sometimes being a referee means making unpopular decisions, sometimes decisions that anyone outside of refereeing might not understand. In this case the referee failed to do this and this "elite level" referee has essentially become LWR as when Cowie does this next week and it's penalised everyone would look at this incident and say "well it wasnt a problem last week".

This is so clear in law I cant believe its a debate. Just because Joe Bloggs doesnt know the laws and isnt complaining/talking about this incident is not justification for playing on.
What you can do is play advantage if you're interested to see what accrues following the, quite obvious, offence. However no advantage accrues and so really play should have been brought back.
Sometimes being a referee means making unpopular decisions, sometimes decisions that anyone outside of refereeing might not understand. In this case the referee failed to do this and this "elite level" referee has essentially become LWR as when Cowie does this next week and it's penalised everyone would look at this incident and say "well it wasnt a problem last week".
Interesting point you make there about playing advantage in this situation (finally a point worth debating :) ). Technically I don't think you can play advantage because in fact there is no offence as such. If there was an offence then if you stop play the restart would be a free kick. What happened was a breach of the restart before the ball was in play and that's why its a retake.
It's not worth the risk to wait and see what happens. Just stop the game as soon as the attacker in PA gives chase to the ball and retake.

Last edited:
Ok my last post on this. Boyata plays this ball to, Celtic player, top right.
Cowie has clearly been in the box, not really a debate there
The only reason this clip exists is because Celtic top right slips.
As I said before what happens after Cowie challanges for the ball is irrelevant. The only reason this clip exists is because the referee didn't stop the game at the time of the challenge.

Interesting point you me there about playing advantage in this situation (at last final worth debating :) ). Technically I don't think you can play advantage because in fact there is no offence as such. If there was an offence then if you stop play the restart would be a free kick. What happened was a breach of the restart befor the ball was in play and that's why its a retake.
It's not worth the risk to wait and see what happens. Just stop the game as soon as the attacker in PA gives chase to the ball and retake.
I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time.
I agree no point in advantage but its the only real excuse to keep playing.
I disagree that it isnt an offence. It is listed under offences and sanctions for law 16 therefore advantage is possible.
Its a technical offence and we've done that one on here before, took it to Mr Elleray and he was agreeable that advantage can be played from a technical offence

No, I think most people (as far as I can tell) are saying that you stop it before the defender even plays the ball up the field (as the referee in the Spurs game mentioned earlier did) so the question of where it goes afterwards is totally irrelevant (or doesn't even arise).

And while I agree that there could potentially be a case for applying advantage I think it's a very weak case considering the position of play. It would be almost unheard of to allow the advantage in the situation of a player a couple of yards from the touchline, only eight or nine yards from his own goal line and under pressure from an opponent.

I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time.
I agree no point in advantage but its the only real excuse to keep playing.
I disagree that it isnt an offence. It is listed under offences and sanctions for law 16 therefore advantage is possible.
Its a technical offence and we've done that one on here before, took it to Mr Elleray and he was agreeable that advantage can be played from a technical offence
Be interested to see the context of Mr Elleray's response. Any links?

So using the same concept, if the attacker attempts to intercept the ball inside the PA and only manages to deflect it to an opponent outside PA you can play advantage, correct?

We all know that if a defender comes into the PA to collect a GK, we're immediately ordering a restart, right? And that's still the case even if he fluffs his touch and has it nicked off him by a defender? It's not like a FK where the ball can be in play as soon as it's kicked even if the opponent is inches away, the ball literally doesn't enter play until it leaves the PA without an opponent in range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back