A&H

Heading U7 - 11 rule changes

We were told all FK's are direct so a penalty would have been awarded if i didn't play advantage (it was in the area he headed it).

It was a defender who headed it.

I was also told a header that stops a goal is a red card. That's harsh.
Because all free kicks in mini soccer have been direct until now, the original trial included a direct free kick. That has been changed as per Ross's post above.
No disciplinary action unless same player is penalised for persistently heading.

A&H International
So, as a reminder this is being put in place by the FA for age groups U7 - U9 (non competitive football) , and this is being put in place because of the risk to children. Heading should also not be part of training.

Would you ignore the rules and the FA?
Think you are missing the point. No one is saying they will allow heading at those age groups, rather they might play advantage if doing so would benefit the non-offending team. There's no safety issue, whether you give an advantage or a free kick the player has still headed the ball, the outcome in terms of player safety is exactly the same no matter what decision you make. Giving a free kick doesn't miraculously remove the contact of the offending player having headed the ball.

purely an aside—in the US, deliberate heading can never give rise to discipline—no SPA, not DOGSO, not PI
I'm pretty sure the only discipline they can face here is PI, and even then it has to be extremely persistent for it to get to that point in U7-9s I'd imagine.

purely an aside—in the US, deliberate heading can never give rise to discipline—no SPA, not DOGSO, not PI
See I find this really odd - even more so if it's dictated that you can never play advantage in any circumstance for heading also. Surely that encourages heading of the ball in defensive situations as you know there will be no further penalty?

I don’t think that is right under US protocols. As it wasn’t deliberate, not an offense, and only need to stop play if need to check on a possible injury. I believe the correct US call on the play as written is goal. (I’m more confident in that for AYSO than USSF.)

That said, I don’t believe the UK rule matches what we do in the US.
What Social Lurker describes is the way the no-heading provision has been interpreted here in Maine in the far northeast U.S. - very straightforward: deliberate = IFK no matter what or where, incidental head contact = play on unless an injury is possible, in which case, whistle, check, restart w drop ball per FIFA.

The issue here is that our state associations have far more freedom/flexibility than I believe is the case in Old Blighty. I think all states have adopted no heading U-11 & below, but their implementation guidance to referees often varies.

Another interesting one here is whether states ban slide tackles in the younger age groups. Some do, some don't.

As a Referee Mentor, one of the worst coach/coach altercations I've ever come upon occurred during a U-9 match (!) because one coach (from Maine) thought they were legal while the other coach (from neighboring New Hampshire) thought they were not. Both were right - in their respective states. The 15 year-old referee never thought to clarify, because she had no idea they were different.

We have an answer from IFAB:

Good evening

Thank you for your e mail and question.

The Laws of the Game allow the referee to play the advantage when, by doing so, it benefits the non-offending team, which is clearly the case in the situation you outline.

We hope this clarifies matters for you.

Best wishes

The IFAB

Subject: "No heading"

The English FA have confirmed that this ban will apply in younger age groups in 2024/5.

The question has been asked:

"If a player heads the ball deliberately in their own penalty area and the ball goes into the goal, can the referee allow the advantage and the goal?"

The majority in our referees' group think that makes sense, but one or two aren't sure.

Thanks in advance

Chas

(Referee Tutor and Observer)

I think that was the expected outcome really. I don’t understand the logic behind not playing the advantage in that scenario.

Good evening

The Laws of the Game allow the referee to play the advantage when, by doing so, it benefits the non-offending team, which is clearly the case in the situation you outline.

Best wishes

The IFAB

The English FA have confirmed that this ban will apply in younger age groups in 2024/5.

"If a player heads the ball deliberately in their own penalty area and the ball goes into the goal, can the referee allow the advantage and the goal?"

The majority in our referees' group think that makes sense, but one or two aren't sure.

Thanks in advance

Chas

Thanks for taking the time to ask them 👍🏻

Good evening

Best wishes

The IFAB

Thanks in advance

Chas

Many thanks

Back