A&H

Head injury....going off?

The Referee Store
At a grass roots level, first aiders (if they are really present) are barely more skilled than anyone else present - note that I am aware that some teams may have medically trained staff playing or spectating which is a different scenario. The 3 day 1st aid course (which I have done in the past) gives you minimal knowledge of dealing with minor injuries and what to do for some more dangerous conditions (boils down to get an ambulance and basic life support). While I would listen if they felt a player could not be moved following an injury or something of that nature, if I am told a player can continue but I believed it would be dangerous, the player does not continue to play even if that means game suspended/abandoned. Law 5. That said, no real first aider/physio is going to allow a player to continue if he is so obviously endangered that I felt I had to step in.

I am not even sure if grass roots teams have to have a first aider who has done the 3 days course? Don't they have to do the 1 afternoon first aid for football course, no evaluation at the end? I have done that to. It does not make you a physio.

If you were to allow play to continue and something were to happen to him, think of the grief you'd get for allowing play to continue even though it's the manager's fault. I would strongly recommend a substitution, and if that does not happen I would abandon the match for a serious injury.

Last year at school I took a head injury playing football. I didn't go unconscious at any point like the guy did Oliver's game but after the doctors at the hospital fixed me up I was told that I shouldn't play any sport for about 3-5 days (would've been a week if I had gone unconscious). So letting a player continue just minutes after regaining consciousness seems rather dangerous. I would be looking to get him off of the field of play at least, if not, then I would abandon the game.

If you were to allow play to continue and something were to happen to him, think of the grief you'd get for allowing play to continue even though it's the manager's fault. I would strongly recommend a substitution, and if that does not happen I would abandon the match for a serious injury.

I wouldn't want to be considered responsible by anyone for any further injury to that player.
I think asking for the player to be substituted or stopping the game would be the only options IMO

Not your responsibility.

It's your responsibility to ensure the safety and welfare of all players on the pitch, if a player was out cold and so dazed he couldn't remember how he got to the match or how old he was, and the team refused to substitute him then I would be abandoning all day. I would think that after you telling a team you'd abandon if they didn't make the sub, they'd probably substitute anyway.

Back