A&H

Head injury....going off?

Cheshire Ref

RefChat Addict
Not sure how this one plays out. One of my last games of last season i am assistant, goalkeeper comes to claim the ball and falls banging his head hard on the ground which is as hard as concrete. The keeper is out cold and when he comes round the physio is asking him some questions to ascertain his state. He did not know where he was or how he had got to the game, how old he was, pretty much anything. He wanted to play on and his physio and manager allowed this and fortunately he was ok. My question is, can you insist on a player being substituted? I am guessing not, but if the player is in real danger what can you do to help?

The Referee Store
Even if you're first aid trained I don't think you can. Unlike Rugby, where the officials can demand a player be taken off if injured, we cannot. In my opinion of course...

You could always keep the player waiting at the touchline after you've restarted play... :D

Obviously won't go down well with the Club though!

Not sure how this one plays out. One of my last games of last season i am assistant, goalkeeper comes to claim the ball and falls banging his head hard on the ground which is as hard as concrete. The keeper is out cold and when he comes round the physio is asking him some questions to ascertain his state. He did not know where he was or how he had got to the game, how old he was, pretty much anything. He wanted to play on and his physio and manager allowed this and fortunately he was ok. My question is, can you insist on a player being substituted? I am guessing not, but if the player is in real danger what can you do to help?
In this scenario as a referee I would make a very strong suggestion to the manager to take him off and get him to hospital ASAP, if they refuse then I would abandon the game and get him to hospital or call an ambulance quickly. If a player can't remember where he is or even how old he is then letting him carry on playing would surely be endangering his safety??

Part of our job is to ensure the safety of the players. I would insist that the player was taken off to receive the necessary treatment, and like HullRef, I would refuse to continue the game until that player was taken off.

Would sending the player off, or at least threatening to, be an option in this situation?

I think sending the player off would get this no where the only option would be to abandon

Why wouldn't it? This is hypothetical of course, and I'm not sure how the FA would respond, but it would get the player of the pitch and allow the game to continue. Like I say though, not sure if that would even be an option.

Part of our job is to ensure the safety of the players. I would insist that the player was taken off to receive the necessary treatment, and like HullRef, I would refuse to continue the game until that player was taken off.

Would sending the player off, or at least threatening to, be an option in this situation?

How are you going to justify sending someone off because they are injured?!

How are you going to justify sending someone off because they are injured?!

That's why I asked if it was even an option. I was trying to think of a way to get the player off the pitch without abandoning the game, but it appears that there isn't one.

Abandon for what? Other than the fact that the ground is "hard as concrete" which means that the match should never have been started in the first place.

Abandon for what? Other than the fact that the ground is "hard as concrete" which means that the match should never have been started in the first place.
I would abandon the match to ensure the keeper's safety which has obviously been disregarded by his physio and manager.

Back