A&H

HATS!!!!!

So the turban can stay, in case it causes offence, but everything else must be removed because that won’t cause offence! What happens if it does?

The Referee Store
That second bullet is the key for me. The law was changed primarily to cater for religious head gear, and shouldn't be used to allow a player to wear a bobble hat because his head is cold, as it would be a push to argue that it has a professional appearance.

At grassroots there are plenty of items of kit that are 'not professional' and I wouldn't expect there to be at U13s!

That's just looking for an excuse to prevent them wearing hats - UNDER 13s don't forget - fine with me.

Have you ever seen a pro player wearing a woolly hat …?!

We've been here before

Not sure that's a valid point when I see 'Pro' goalkeepers and referees in identical kits every week. We've discussed many other examples on here - GKs taking 20 seconds to release the ball, clear,obvious and repeated dissent ignored - I'm not sure telling a 12 year old - 'You don't see hats on MOTD' makes much sense.

Looking at this from a different angle... if it's so cold that a player HAS to wear a hat, should you even be playing. Perhaps they'd be better off sticking to FIFA or PES

Agree in the 'old days' but with the advent of undersoil heating, better pitch management, 'hybrid pitch systems and of course artificial pitches - its now quite usual for the pitch to be OK and the weather not!

I've only come across it at younger age youth football, such as the U13's in the OP. And in my experience, those players that want to wear a hat aren't actually that interested in the football. Nonetheless, I've never had a complaint when asking for it to be removed (and IIRC I've never come across a hat being worn that would meet the guidelines of being either black or the same colour as the shirt - so that could always be the clause to rely on).

You've never come across a black hat??????????

When I did my ref course, they said No to hats as they may drop down and cover the eyes...which could be a danger to the player or an opponent. Although, they said, a turban would be allowed as it could cause offence, if not !
That's a ridiculous argument....'could cover the eyes and become a danger'......ahh, the stuff that some instructors come up with!!

You've never come across a black hat??????????
I have a black beanie (not used in-game), but no - only hats I've ever come across were at the lower end of the youth ages groups, and they tended to be bobble hats - and more often than not in the colours of <insert premier league team name here>, and always worn by a player who really didn't want to be there anyway.

Agree in the 'old days' but with the advent of undersoil heating, better pitch management, 'hybrid pitch systems and of course artificial pitches - its now quite usual for the pitch to be OK and the weather not!
Was talking about kids wearing hats and I'm not sure many of them have undersoil heating at council pitch #47. Any adult who wears a hat to play football in because it's cold needs to find a mirror and take a long hard look at themselves.

Back