A&H

Handball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about Blackpool but Hartlepool have just came from 3 down to finish the game 3-3... Caps off the greatest escape legue 2 has ever seen !

The Referee Store
yes, Mal, but giving a free kick for deliberate handball, as you have said that you would in this scenario, when, to quote the o/p,

'Ball played over the top, defender (whilst running with his back to the ball, ie toward his own goal) puts his hand up to appeal for offisde.
Ball hits his bloody hand and drops dead on the ground.
The man had no idea where the ball was as he had turned pretty much as soon as it was kicked'

is clearly wrong as per the lotg....but you can't see that that can you....just like the player and the ball in question
The LOTG also tell you to consider the position of the hand, among other things. He has a responsibility to avoid contact between ball and hand, where possible. A free kick here is perfectly within the LOTG - probably far more clearly than other cases we penalise for. I can't see any reason for not giving it!

Maybe the players at the wall should just stick their arms up in the air and turn around before the ball is kicked?

???

Considering arm position and whether it needs to be there IS using your common sense........ isnt it?!

And if I'm coaching a young ref and remind him of the importance of applying common sense to some decisions....... i dont see that as meaningless.

I think some people should consider the fact that 2 or more people can have a different opinion yet both or all be correct.
Because common sense can mean absolutely anything the person listening can think it means. Some would argue penalising any handling that results in a benefit to that player is common sense. It's a vague, catch-all phrase. Common sense sounds obvious when you already know what the person is talking about. If you're not on the same page it doesn't mean a thing.

'Unnatural position' is moving towards defining what the common sense interpretation actually means. Much more beneficial.

The LOTG also tell you to consider the position of the hand, among other things. He has a responsibility to avoid contact between ball and hand, where possible. A free kick here is perfectly within the LOTG - probably far more clearly than other cases we penalise for. I can't see any reason for not giving it!

Maybe the players at the wall should just stick their arms up in the air and turn around before the ball is kicked?

Because common sense can mean absolutely anything the person listening can think it means. Some would argue penalising any handling that results in a benefit to that player is common sense. It's a vague, catch-all phrase. Common sense sounds obvious when you already know what the person is talking about. If you're not on the same page it doesn't mean a thing.

'Unnatural position' is moving towards defining what the common sense interpretation actually means. Much more beneficial.
Love your first paragraph and especially the analogy about players in the wall turning around, hands raised! brilliant.

I think the your point about common sense...... isn't really, well.... using your common sense I do respect your point of view but I think its obvious that I wouldn't just say the words 'use common sense'..... Clearly I would back it up or ensure my junior referee or assessee was n the same page as me.

the term 'unnatural position', in my opinion, can be interpreted differently also. For instance.... this player puts his hand up for an offside shout. Some on this thread believe it to be unnatural position,, while some believe the player was clearly being natural.
Angles and opinions and that's why we can ll think differing things but still all be correct sometimes.

I've come to the conclusion that anyone who thinks that the player appealing for offside in the o/p deliberately tried to handle the ball is a fool.....the fact that they then try to justify their opinion merely confirms it

Last edited:
AHA........take the easy way out !!!!!! last weeks ref !!!! etc :D:D:D touché my friend :D

Eh?....not the easy way out. For example, if the ball goes out for a corner or goal kick and its 50/50 and you have no idea which to give.......... which do you go with?...

I've come to the conclusion that anyone who thinks that the player appealing for offside in the o/p deliberately tried to handle the ball is a fool.....the fact that they then try to justify their opinion merely confirms it

Well done. Thats what this referee page is for.... name calling other referees!... and here was me thinking we could all learn from one another!.

You have a lot to learn my friend. Good luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back