A&H

Handball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deusex

RefChat Addict
Ball played over the top, defender (whilst running with his back to the ball, ie toward his own goal) puts his hand up to appeal for offisde.
Ball hits his bloody hand and drops dead on the ground.
The man had no idea where the ball was as he had turned pretty much as soon as it was kciked.
Everybdy stopped expecting a FK
You will not find a referee that gives fouls for handling offences less than me and true to form I didn't this one.
Surely the very definition of accidental handling?
The fact it was 7-0 made it less contentious.

If I have to listen to one more player tell me that a player must be penalised if he gains an advantage from the ball hitting his arm I will hit him with my car.
Whilst this incident could certainly be given either way, the other 7 shouts for handball were ridiculous.
I'd like to thank EPL refs for penalising players pretty much every time it hits their hand. Nice, safe, incorrect refereeing.

The Referee Store
For this one I'd probably give a FK but wouldn't caution. His hand, as you describe, is clearly in an unnatural position and that's why I'd give it.

For this one I'd probably give a FK but wouldn't caution. His hand, as you describe, is clearly in an unnatural position and that's why I'd give it.

I would completely back your decision, I'm certainly not saying I was def right (I will say I wasn't wrong though if that makes sense... er...)

You've reminded me of another thing that annoys me (of the few :D).
Referees cautioning a defender for handling in the box! Is the ref really saying the player has tried to break up a promising attack by giving away a penalty!!!!
I would go as far as to say that a handling offence in the box should ALMOST NEVER be a caution according to LOTG (unless it is a failed attempt to commit DOGSO-H)

The way i Personaly interpret the handball law is .......only to be given as hanball if it is deliberate ? And is a cautionable offence ?

Therefor every handball we give should be cautioned ? :confused:

Where has this cautioning every handball (they all have to be deliberate of course) thing come from? Have I had some kind of stroke and forgotten this in the LOTG? :confused: I am not going to rule that out as that is twice today I have seen this posted....

Don't forget people the laws of the game you do not caution for every handball it's like the angel di Maria handball right on the touchline

Yeah it has to be pretty blatent and deliberate for me to dish a YC out... But from the situation you described I wouldn't have give a free kick for that, it's an obvious accident. I also agree about the PL refs giving hand balls for nothing ! So many times I've had to say "he couldn't do anything about it" or "not deliberate" when everyone stops wanting a free kick; then look at you bemused !

Why on earth wouldn't you give a free kick for this? If the hand is in an unnatural position and it strikes the hand, then it doesn't matter if he knew anything about it or not - unnatural, it's 'deliberate handling' as per the description in the LOTG.

There's no reason for the arm to be up like that, so I can't see any possible reason for not awarding the FK here.
The way i Personaly interpret the handball law is .......only to be given as hanball if it is deliberate ? And is a cautionable offence ?

Therefor every handball we give should be cautioned ? :confused:

Only given if deliberate, yes - though deliberate is probably a bit looser than what you'd generally consider it to mean 'on the street'. It's only a cautionable offence if it's done to score a goal, or to prevent an opponent gaining possession (ie breaking up an attack).

If he puts his hand up to appeal offside, in my opinion it is not in a unnatural position(?) i would have said "ball to hand.. play on"

Sticking your arm straight up in the air isn't an unnatural position?

Doesn't he have any responsibility at all to avoid contact?

Not to mention the fact that he, for no reason (appealing isn't a part of actual play, it's just something players tend to do that we tolerate) has actually moved his hand into the path of the ball. I can't see any possible reason how that ISN'T DHB. I

Wasn't actually looking at the ball according to what i read not an act of attempting to handle the ball,for me as stated before ball to hand play on

This is also the second time in a few days that I have seen someone say Caution for attempt to DOGSO-H, when the attempt was unsuccessful. Can I ask why this is a caution under the specific wording in the LOTG?

I guess it could be UB? I've had a few of these and never cautioned.

This is also the second time in a few days that I have seen someone say Caution for attempt to DOGSO-H, when the attempt was unsuccessful. Can I ask why this is a caution under the specific wording in the LOTG?

I guess it could be UB? I've had a few of these and never cautioned.
I think I've always viewed these cautions in the same way as any other UB C1 cautions that are given for breaking up (or attempting to break up) a promising attack. The fact that it would have been DOGSO if they connected doesn't change the fact that their intent (gotta love that word ;)) was to unsportingly stop an attack

It is an unnatural position I agree, but it's one of those 1/10,000 moments where the guy has genuinely put his hand up for handball and its hit him... In this particular situation I would let him off.

IMO a deliberate handball always has the potential to break up an attack ! if not the player would not be handling it ?

Therfore hes getting booked , If the handball is accidental im playing on .

Think this way works for me and although players moan all game long that " hes had that in his hands " and so on it keeps me consistent in a very grey area

I hate the word deliberate... fifa if you are listening... think of a new word... The only time I have... in the correct sense of the word seen a deliberate handball was when a player thought he was fouled, so picked the ball up.... deliberately handling the ball.

Even if a player has his/her hand in an unnatural position it is rare I would say they are deliberately trying to handle the ball. It seems the EPL deem not getting out of the way of the ball as deliberate handball....

Admitidely i am a hypercrit however, as i have given many handballs with the reason of unnatural position... I still don't like it though!

IMO a deliberate handball always has the potential to break up an attack ! if not the player would not be handling it ?

Therfore hes getting booked , If the handball is accidental im playing on .

Think this way works for me and although players moan all game long that " hes had that in his hands " and so on it keeps me consistent in a very grey area
Hey Beezer, can totally understand why you like the simplicity of your approach but I've got an alternative you might want to consider ..

In some ways it's akin to the careless / reckless divide for tackles. Many of the handballs I give are where the hand or arm is in a genuinely unnatural position .. I see the vast majority of these as the player carelessly putting his hand, for no good reason, in a position where the ball might well hit it. Hence not a deliberate hand to ball but still a foul nonetheless .. no caution though. The other category is where a player has recklessly, or more accurately knowingly, moved his hand towards the ball (often for tactical reasons). These are IMO the ones worthy of a caution as well as a free kick. A little more complex but can still deliver on the 'consistency' that players so crave :) . And I think quite similar to the way @CapnBloodbeard described above

I Agree with everyones points on handball !
Thanks to interpretation of the LOTG they are really the most troublesome part of a game of football !
Maybe we should go back to the good old days if it hits your hand its a foul ! And to be honest thats what players expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back