A&H

Handball Wording in law

I think I’ve simplified it - at least as codified law. Still room for interpretation/ in the opinion of the referee but here goes:

Handball is punished by a direct free kick or penalty kick if in a player’s own penalty area (except for the goalkeeper in their own penalty area) if a player uses their hand or arm to:

- Block or attempt to block a shot at goal by an opponent (unless the ball enters the goal in which case a goal is awarded).

- Prevent an opponent gaining or retaining possession of the ball.

- Gains, retains, or attempts to gain or retain possession of the ball.

- Prevents or attempts to prevent the ball going out of play.

A direct free kick is also awarded if a player scores or attempts to score in the opponents goal after the ball has touched their hand or arm.

No natural/unnatural positions, or any of the other big question marks. Also eliminates the “kick it at a players arm” argument.

Of course there will still be debate over decisions, but ultimately it cuts the grey areas down to a binary choice. Did that action do one of the above? Yes or no?
Problem with that first bullet point is if a shot hit their hand when it is tucked in by their side it would be a penalty, even if from point blank range.

Perhaps we should work together to come up with a RefChat workable handball law then send it to IFAB. I'm not sure we could create anything worse than the complete mess they've come up with over the past few seasons.

The Referee Store
I think it's best when as few words as possible are used for a law.

Something like:
  • touches the ball with their hand or arm and either the touch was intentional or the hand/arm was in an unfair position.

Simple concept. Let the referee decide.

Handball is easy to judge. I honestly do not understand the angst.

Once you come to grips with, was it deliberate or was the arm is in a weird position, you'd be lucky to give one a game.

99% of the time when it hits the arm/hand I'm yelling 'keep playing' or 'ball to hand'.

They catch on pretty quick.

Handball is easy to judge. I honestly do not understand the angst.

99% of the time when it hits the arm/hand I'm yelling 'keep playing' or 'ball to hand'.

Many people who watch your game think exactly the same. It's easy to judge and they 'don't understand' why you have or haven't given a handball. Hope this explains the angst 😊

We all understand it and we all know when to give or not give it. Yet there is so much inconsistency.

Back