A&H

halftime fluid

The Referee Store
just out of interest what do you take for a halftime drink and are you offered any by the teams

County League or step 5/6 you usually have drinks given to you (not always). Below that then its usually being your own (I always bring water anyway).

Staggering amount of park refs dont hydrate
You want urine as clear as possible before ko

then rehydrate at ht, isotonic and/or water

and rehydrate after too

Water, certain gatorades, and chocolate milk. They sell chocolate milk that doesnt need refrigeration I prefer it first.

I also pack 2 kiwis for every game.

Lucodaze, water, banana.

At grassroots the change over can be so fast you won't get that banana down you tho... :(

Always amazes me the officials that drink coffee or tea at half time. They are diuretics that dehydrate rather than rehydrate you, crazy thing to be drinking at half time or after the game.

edit, the single worst experience you can ever have whilst officiating, is being lino and bursting for toilet come 35 or so mins, your dignity is then fully in the hands of tne referee and you mentally beg him via telaphy to add on no added time....

Always amazes me the officials that drink coffee or tea at half time. They are diuretics that dehydrate rather than rehydrate you, crazy thing to be drinking at half time or after the game.
Eh, that's marginally outdated science. Yes they are diuretic - but to a very small extent, and you're still drinking a mug of fluid.

Water, Lucozade etc is a better choice, but if you're going to drink 500ml of fluid, you'll still end up 450ml "more hydrated" if that fluid is coffee or tea than if you drank nothing. Plus if it's cold and wet, I'll take the heat and caffeine as an overall positive to my performance, mental alertness and general comfort for the second half.

Eh, that's marginally outdated science. Yes they are diuretic - but to a very small extent, and you're still drinking a mug of fluid.

Water, Lucozade etc is a better choice, but if you're going to drink 500ml of fluid, you'll still end up 450ml "more hydrated" if that fluid is coffee or tea than if you drank nothing. Plus if it's cold and wet, I'll take the heat and caffeine as an overall positive to my performance, mental alertness and general comfort for the second half.

Yes, but you aren't going to see any elite, or even close to elite, athletes drinking coffee. Even a small extent of dehydration is still dehydration and potentially impairs your performance.

Yes, but you aren't going to see any elite, or even close to elite, athletes drinking coffee. Even a small extent of dehydration is still dehydration and potentially impairs your performance.
Elite officials also have heated changing rooms, hot showers, will bring spare kits and will officiate in stadiums with considerably less wind than most grassroots pitches. Next time you see a PL referee drop his pencil because his hands are too cold to hold onto it, I'll accept the comparisons on what we should be doing at half time!

Elite officials also have heated changing rooms, hot showers, will bring spare kits and will officiate in stadiums with considerably less wind than most grassroots pitches. Next time you see a PL referee drop his pencil because his hands are too cold to hold onto it, I'll accept the comparisons on what we should be doing at half time!

I said elite athletes, not officials, although yes arguable top level referees come into that category.

Practically, I can never get a cuppa down me at half time without burning my throat.

i class myself as an atlete
as a runner in addition to my footy

no tea or coffee on any runs i done..

jelly babies, water, isotonic

my watch tells me over 5 minor games this weekend i ran 32 mle

if am up with play in the last min of my last game, i think am ok

Back