The Ref Stop

Goalkeeper sent off in Penalty Shoot Out

Stoxman

Dear all,

First timer here.

I was wondering what the law would allow if a GK was sent off during the penalty shoot out? Let’s say a GK was cautioned during normal time and then given a second yellow card for time wasting during the shoot out. It appears that the law allows a substitute if a GK is ill or injured but does the phrase “unable to continue” also apply to a red card? He is of course completely unable to continue and it would seem odd to allow the subsequent takers to simply roll the ball into an empty net.

Thanks in advance

The Ref Stop
I'm sure the more experienced will correct me, but cards are reset for penalty shootouts, as we saw recently with Aston Villa's Martinez. So you wouldn't award a second yellow card.

However, to answer your question, I believe in the event that a goalkeeper is dismissed, then an outfield player (who was on the FOP at full time) would have to replace the goalkeeper.

Dear all,

First timer here.

I was wondering what the law would allow if a GK was sent off during the penalty shoot out? Let’s say a GK was cautioned during normal time and then given a second yellow card for time wasting during the shoot out. It appears that the law allows a substitute if a GK is ill or injured but does the phrase “unable to continue” also apply to a red card? He is of course completely unable to continue and it would seem odd to allow the subsequent takers to simply roll the ball into an empty net.

Thanks in advance
Okay, first point to address is that cautions issued during the match aren't carried over to penalties!

To answer your main point, the Laws state that a goalkeeper who is sent off during the shootout must be replaced by an eligible player (that is, one of their teammates who would be stood in the centre circle, eligible to take a penalty), so they can't be replaced by a substitute.

Okay, first point to address is that cautions issued during the match aren't carried over to penalties!

To answer your main point, the Laws state that a goalkeeper who is sent off during the shootout must be replaced by an eligible player (that is, one of their teammates who would be stood in the centre circle, eligible to take a penalty), so they can't be replaced by a substitute.
And also need to add the opposition must reduce their numbers as well to match that of the team reduced by the red card.

Swapping Goalkeepers is a means of circumventing the Law if a replacement GK claims to be injured, is replaced by a Substitute and then the original GK swaps back to being the GK after the side has gotten an outfield player on the FOP (maybe a stellar penalty taker)
Correct me if I'm wrong. I ain't picked the book up for donkeys

For clarity
Crap penalty taker on FOP
Stick him in goal and get him injured
Sub him off for Ivan Toney
Ivan Toney swaps his GK role with original GK

Isn't that what Clatts was getting paid by Forest for? Those nuggets?

Last edited:
Technically, per the LOTG, that is theoretically possible. But in the real world, there would be heavy sanctions to a team that pulled a stunt like that in any high level game. And I’m not convinced a professional ref would let the nonsense take place, regardless of being theoretically plausible in the LOTG. At the professional level, keepers are keepers, and it is an obvious ploy. And in any game I do, if someone tried this stunt, I think my answer would be that since he has defended a shot yet, he’s not the GK yet and the former GK still is the GK who could be subbed for.

Swapping Goalkeepers is a means of circumventing the Law if a replacement GK claims to be injured, is replaced by a Substitute and then the original GK swaps back to being the GK after the side has gotten an outfield player on the FOP (maybe a stellar penalty taker)
Correct me if I'm wrong. I ain't picked the book up for donkeys

For clarity
Crap penalty taker on FOP
Stick him in goal and get him injured
Sub him off for Ivan Toney
Ivan Toney swaps his GK role with original GK

Isn't that what Clatts was getting paid by Forest for? Those nuggets?

My response, at the point when crap pen taker wants to swap I would say since he has not taken any goal keeper duty as yet, I would not consider him a keeper as yet and he can't be substituted.

Alternatively, when they decide to swap Ivan Toney for the original keeper, I would say since he is not taking any goal keeper duties, he is not considered one so he is going back to the bench and they have to bring someone who will actually become a keeper.

If player are finding workaround we need to adapt 😄

Last edited:
Not only are cautions not carried through to penalty shoot outs, but for any first offence by a goalkeeper (assuming not a red card offence) a warning is provided.

Not only are cautions not carried through to penalty shoot outs, but for any first offence by a goalkeeper (assuming not a red card offence) a warning is provided.
Not any offence.

Dissent, for example, would be a caution, as would making unauthorised marks on the field of play. I'm sure there are other.

Warnings are where the keeper commits an offence under law 14 and the penalty is retaken.

Not any offence.

Dissent, for example, would be a caution, as would making unauthorised marks on the field of play. I'm sure there are other.

Warnings are where the keeper commits an offence under law 14 and the penalty is retaken.
Yes that’s true. I should have made that clear in my original reply, viz, Law 14 - “If the goalkeeper’s offence results in the kick being retaken, the goalkeeper is warned for the first offence in the game and cautioned for any subsequent offence(s) in the game”.

Last edited:
Back