A&H

Goalie backpass - "Can I pick it up ref or is it a backpass?"

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Was watching a game before mine started today and had a weird one. Defender knocked it back to the keeper tackling a striker. Not a backpass in my opinion. But when he had the ball at his feet the keeper shouted to the ref"can I pick it up or will it be a backpass?" At this point a striker was closing him down and the ref shouted "its a backpass" at which point the keeper just about cleared it in time.

Personally I wouldnt be telling any player what they can and cant do, especially with something like a backpass. Or is this something we should be encouraged to do to proactively manage the game.

The Referee Store
Personally never happened in one of my games but I have witnessed it and I think it's good management and good of the keeper to ask if he was unsure.

Reactions: SM
On another note if you saw a keeper bending down to pick up a backpass would you call out and tell them not to?

@BES I've never had anything like it happen either. I find keepers take the cautious approach. Had an insane own goal today with a tackle knocking the ball back to the keeper who swung a leg to clear it, fell over and the ball bobbled in. Never in a million years would I have given it as a backpass had she picked it up!

I wouldn't be telling any player how to play the game.......
But i had a situation today where the defender poked the ball from the boot of the attacking player and it carried on and was picked up by the keeper...massive appeals for back pass but i didn't give it...

Last edited:
If a keeper asks I'll tell them, generally if it's a pass back they touch it with their hands quickly without thinking.

Defender knocked it back to the keeper tackling a striker. Not a backpass in my opinion.

A tackle is a back pass, the ref was correct
As for your question, I wouldn't say myself to a keeper "don't take it", but if he asks... I would reply, it's kinda like the "can I take it ?" when you play a drop ball in front of the keeper

As for your question, I wouldn't say myself to a keeper "don't take it", but if he asks... I would reply, it's kinda like the "can I take it ?" when you play a drop ball in front of the keeper
I disagree. A tackle is not a back pass. Rarely does the player making a tackle have control over the direction of the ball.

I fail to see how a tackle to regain possession from an opponent is a deliberate pass.

Rarely does the player making a tackle have control over the direction of the ball.

When you read " touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate", you understand that the player meant precisally to give the ball to his goalie ? For exemple, if a midfielder want to pass to his defender, the defender for some reason don't touches it and it goes into the penalty area, than the goal can take it as it wasn't kicked TO HIM ?

What I understand and in fact, the french translation don't give that sort of arguing, is that the ball has to be deliberately played, not that the ball has to be deliberatly played AT somebody. So if a tackle is good, it means that you played the ball deliberatly right ?

When you read " touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate", you understand that the player meant precisally to give the ball to his goalie ? For exemple, if a midfielder want to pass to his defender, the defender for some reason don't touches it and it goes into the penalty area, than the goal can take it as it wasn't kicked TO HIM ?

What I understand and in fact, the french translation don't give that sort of arguing, is that the ball has to be deliberately played, not that the ball has to be deliberatly played AT somebody. So if a tackle is good, it means that you played the ball deliberatly right ?

Deliberately means that you had control of your pass and intended for the ball to go to that player.

I understand the reason for your decision and it is due to the emphasis in different parts of the sentence. As long as you apply consistently, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Your emphasis is on DELIBERATELY KICKED and my emphasis is on TO HIM.

Back