A&H

Goal kick taken in wrong place

Not sure on that one. Would agree if the AR has signalled a foul or offside, but less so for ball out of play or restarts. Perhaps there are very rare occasions where the referee is more credibly placed than the referee to rule on ball out of play (e.g. ball over goal line on far side to assistant), but restarts are factual. As an observer in this situation I would be expecting the goal kick to be retaken, it is the only outcome that is correct in law.
I'm not sure what there is in my post that it's possible to disagree with. Short of pulling a whistle out of their pocket, declaring the referee incompetent and essentially staging a mutiny, the AR cannot force a decision to be made.

I very clearly mention that it's not necessarily right in law to do so and by extension, an observer obviously wouldn't agree with it. Still doesn't mean the AR is able to stop the game and demand a different specific restart if the ref doesn't want to do so.

The Referee Store
Not sure on that one. Would agree if the AR has signalled a foul or offside, but less so for ball out of play or restarts. Perhaps there are very rare occasions where the referee is more credibly placed than the referee to rule on ball out of play (e.g. ball over goal line on far side to assistant), but restarts are factual. As an observer in this situation I would be expecting the goal kick to be retaken, it is the only outcome that is correct in law.
Power vs. right. The R would be wrong to not follow the AR, but certainly has the power to ignore any flag from the AR. And some will when it makes no sense.

I'm not sure what there is in my post that it's possible to disagree with. Short of pulling a whistle out of their pocket, declaring the referee incompetent and essentially staging a mutiny, the AR cannot force a decision to be made.

I very clearly mention that it's not necessarily right in law to do so and by extension, an observer obviously wouldn't agree with it. Still doesn't mean the AR is able to stop the game and demand a different specific restart if the ref doesn't want to do so.
I've just never heard of a situation where an AR tells a referee something that is factual and the referee has chosen to ignore them, really can't see it happening as the referee would be chucking both himself and the AR under the bus.

I've just never heard of a situation where an AR tells a referee something that is factual and the referee has chosen to ignore them, really can't see it happening as the referee would be chucking both himself and the AR under the bus.
Off the top of my head.....have you tried reading post 1 in this thread? AR informs the ref the GK should be retaken and the ref chooses to ignore that and restart with a FK instead.

Dumb, incorrect in law, would rightly receive a pasting if there was an observer. And yet, it happened.

Off the top of my head.....have you tried reading post 1 in this thread? AR informs the ref the GK should be retaken and the ref chooses to ignore that and restart with a FK instead.

Dumb, incorrect in law, would rightly receive a pasting if there was an observer. And yet, it happened.
I obviously meant before I'd read that post. And that doesn't really count anyway, as he didn't choose to ignore the AR, he listened to him and then gave the completely wrong restart. So it is his competency that needs to be called into question as opposed to ability to take advice from an AR.

Back