A&H

Goal kick - directly out of the penalty area (backwards)

The Referee Store
Agreed... the ball is not in play until it leaves the penalty area. And a ball _off_ the field of play is... well... not in play.

Therefore, the play has not restarted, so... retake. Same would apply to an IFK or DFK taken within the penalty area by the "defending" team.

It's much like a throw-in. If the thrown ball does not cross onto/over the touchline, then the throw is retaken, as the ball never came into play.

Note that the 2012 FIFA LotG Quiz has the answer as a corner if it goes out of the PA onto the field of play then crosses the goal line, and a retake if it crosses the goal line before leaving the PA onto the field of play.

Doesn't leave the penalty area = re-take

Leaves the PA and enters the goal without touching anyone else = corner kick

Leaves the PA and enters the goal but is touched by the player taking the kick = IDFK

Leave the PA and enters the goal but is touched by a player other than the player taking the kick = goal

In 2 and 3 above it must be a very big backspin on the kick or very strong wind, so strong that you have to ask whether the game should continue

Thanks everyone for replying / discussing my OP

Looks like I got it wrong on the day - probably*

*as it happens I wasn't sure if it went behind the goal line before or after it left the penalty area - and - by the time I made my mind up - everyone was getting ready for a corner!

Back