A&H

Goal kick - directly out of the penalty area (backwards)

Alex71

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I can't find anywhere in the LOTG that "directly out of the penalty area" includes the ball going behind the goal line - before leaving the penalty area forward or sideways.

A sideways goal kick yesterday went out "for a corner" before being "in play" - everyone was expecting a corner so it was an easy sell anyway - but - I'm not 100% sure it shouldn't have been a re-take as I can't find it written in the Laws

Was I right ..? ... Can anyone find it in the LOTG to prove it to me too ?!?!

The Referee Store
Interesting. Gk: Ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area - Technically, it did leave the penalty area by crossing the crossing the goal line?

The way I see it - For instance, the windy day situation where the goal kick is taken, doesn't leave the penalty area but is blown back into the goal. The ball has crossed the goal line so technically should be a goal but you award a retake of the goal kick as the ball hasn't left the area. The way I think about it is the ball must cross the 3 lines of the penalty area on the field to be in play, if it crosses the goal line before crossing any of those lines - retake.

The way I see it - For instance, the windy day situation where the goal kick is taken, doesn't leave the penalty area but is blown back into the goal. The ball has crossed the goal line so technically should be a goal but you award a retake of the goal kick as the ball hasn't left the area. The way I think about it is the ball must cross the 3 lines of the penalty area on the field to be in play, if it crosses the goal line before crossing any of those lines - retake.
technically should be a corner rather than a goal :)

What do you mean about the ball crossing 3 lines? You appear to be making that bit up! :D

The important line in the LOTG relevant here is:
LOTG said:
"The ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area"

- If the ball is not kicked directly out of the penalty area then the kick is retaken.

Law 1 - Field of Play
"The field of play must be rectangular and marked with lines. These lines belong to the areas of which they are boundaries"

So, the ball does leave the area designated as the penalty area by crossing its boundary line. There is no mention of the ball not being allowed to go out for a corner, however it does say the ball is "in play" when it leaves the penalty area.

Last edited:
Yes, a corner sorry :)

The penalty area is a rectangle made up of the 2 lines extending onto the field of play from the goal line and the line joining the two ends of these lines parallel to the goal line. The 4th line of the penalty area is the goal line.

I kind of see what you're trying to say- although the ball only really needs to cross 2 lines to get out of the penalty area. Regardless, what you are suggesting is not part of the LOTG. The only relevant pitch markings the ball needs to cross are the boundary lines for the penalty area.

Would be a retake for me as the ball wasn't in play and has not been in play before it went over the goal line, but a very odd one none the less.

That sum it up perfectly. Had one incident where it left the area and then goes over goal line for a corner, the keeper was trying to pass the fullback standing by the side of the penalty area.

Having pondered on it, I think i agree this is the correct call. Ball hasnt been in play, retake.

I think the ball has to be in play before it goes out for a corner so in this instance the correct restart is a retake of the GK. A CK may seem reasonable and even seems to be supported by the LOTG:
A corner kick is awarded when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, either on the ground or in the air, having last touched a player of the defending team, and a goal is not scored in accordance with Law 10.
However because the ball is not yet in play it is effectively exactly the same situation as, for example, the ball being thrown back to the Goalie for him to take a GK and it bouncing off him and crossing the goal line. You would never give a corner in this circumstance because the ball is not in play - exactly the same way as it is not in play in the OP.

(btw, I understand you Kieran.You mean one of the three lines that make up the penalty area apart from the goal line, no?)

It's a corner. If the ball goes directly in the goal, it's a corner not a re-take, so why would it be different crossing another part of the goal-line?

It's a corner. If the ball goes directly in the goal, it's a corner not a re-take, so why would it be different crossing another part of the goal-line?

It's also a retake if the ball enters the goal.

Page 43, 2006 Q&A http://www.brooklynayso.org/pdfs/qa-laws.pdf

A player takes a goal kick and the ball passes over the goal line without
having passed out of the penalty area. What action does the referee
take?

The goal kick is retaken.

Looking at the current FIFA LOTG, it doesn't actually state whether or not the ball passing the goal-line is a retake or a corner. Unless, of course, I'm missing it!

No, it doesn't state it explicitly. I don't think the goal kick law has changed that much since that Q&A was produced.

I would have kick retaken as ball hasn't entered field of play as it has gone out of play before leaving penalty area

Back