The Ref Stop

GK Laying on Ball

Dicky Herts

How are we Refs managing this scenario …... Blues winning by one goal. Tense match last 10minutes. Blues GK - every time ball is collected catches it then dives on it and lies on the floor for about 5 seconds before getting up to try to run down time. Opposition getting very vocal. Do we:
1. Start a 6 second count when the GK has control regardless of whether they are on ground or not.
2. Ask the GK to get up and get on with it and start the count when they are up on feet?
And if the answer is one - why do GKs do this?

The Ref Stop
Simple observation is that keepers at grassroots do this because they do it in the pro game with zero consequences.

It's frustrating to watch and is 100% cheating. We should be stopping keepers from this sort of action but it has to start at the top.

I agree that this is of of the most annoying things a goalkeeper can do, and as a brother to a gk I've seen that a lot of them are coached to do it.

I think this will be thrown out of the game with the trials that are currently ongoing. The trials will hopefully mean that goalkeepers will know that the punishment will be a corner if they hold onto it for too long, that is of course if the trial goes successfully.

How are we Refs managing this scenario …... Blues winning by one goal. Tense match last 10minutes. Blues GK - every time ball is collected catches it then dives on it and lies on the floor for about 5 seconds before getting up to try to run down time. Opposition getting very vocal. Do we:
1. Start a 6 second count when the GK has control regardless of whether they are on ground or not.
2. Ask the GK to get up and get on with it and start the count when they are up on feet?
And if the answer is one - why do GKs do this?
First occasion: shout "Let's go, keeper"
Second occasion: Count out loud as soon as keeper gathers the ball. FK if exceeds six.
Third occasion: FK
Fourth occasion: won't happen.

Second occasion: Count out loud as soon as keeper gathers the ball. FK if exceeds six.
First time it happens, I move towards the keeper and tell them to get up and get on with it. After that I become more public, along the lines you describe.

I really wouldn't recommend counting out load personally. Leaves you with no room for discretion. Do you really want to be calling an IDFK if he begins his release as you get to 6 but hasn't completed it until after you've said 6? Because the opposition are gonna be expecting you to, but I wouldn't want to.

For me, it's:
Manage from distance 'lets look to release please keeper'
Manage up close - run in and tell him 'you didn't need to go to ground there keeper - your 6 seconds starts when you have the ball under control whether you're on the floor or not'.
3rd time try to manage out loud from distance again but this time with the intent that if he doesn't release in time you can penalise.

Yep, and that’s a perfect example of the classic “if you give that, you’ll give ten a game” to which the obvious answer is “if you haven’t learned after the second one, that’s on you”

Back