A&H

Getting Ready for 21/22

For sure, mine tells me my pace and distance (any any number of other parameters if I desire!) Polar m430...
I have the vantage V and it has a race pace feature (might be in the m340 somewhere). I set the distance and the target time pre "race' and it keeps me. Up to date with how I am against the target. It warns if I am not fast enough and tells me how many seconds ahead I am of that's the case. Wonderful feature. Takes away all the mental math and I can just concentrate on the run

The Referee Store
I have the vantage V and it has a race pace feature (might be in the m340 somewhere). I set the distance and the target time pre "race' and it keeps me. Up to date with how I am against the target. It warns if I am not fast enough and tells me how many seconds ahead I am of that's the case. Wonderful feature. Takes away all the mental math and I can just concentrate on the run

I haven't seen that feature but will check it out. All I try and do atm is keep as close to 13kph as possible, that'll do you exactly 2600m in 12 mins!

Ah only applies to Grit X, Vantage M, Vantage M2, Vantage V, Vantage V Titan, Vantage V2. Sounds a very good feature

I haven't seen that feature but will check it out. All I try and do atm is keep as close to 13kph as possible, that'll do you exactly 2600m in 12 mins!
Without it I would set it to pace pkm or mile whichever you work on. And have a current pace and Ave pace view on a view. Maybe distance/time too and then you just need to run at 4:36 per km/whatever the miles conversion is and keep the Ave on or under that number.

Without it I would set it to pace pkm or mile whichever you work on. And have a current pace and Ave pace view on a view. Maybe distance/time too and then you just need to run at 4:36 per km/whatever the miles conversion is and keep the Ave on or under that number.
It's annoying you can't do speed and pace. You have to choose.
I'd also. Like them to make a. Referee specific sport profile that totalled number of sprints, max sprint length, Ave sprint length, to go with the speed measures.
I'd imagine it would be easily achievable, anything above 18km/h classes as a sprint and then measure distance covered over that speed. Surprised it doesn't have it on the soccer profile already

It's annoying you can't do speed and pace. You have to choose.
I'd also. Like them to make a. Referee specific sport profile that totalled number of sprints, max sprint length, Ave sprint length, to go with the speed measures.
I'd imagine it would be easily achievable, anything above 18km/h classes as a sprint and then measure distance covered over that speed. Surprised it doesn't have it on the soccer profile already
Have you looked at creating your own sports profiles in polar flow?

I have a football one I created for my v800. I’m not sure about the sprint stuff but it lets you mix and match what is shown on the screen.

Have you looked at creating your own sports profiles in polar flow?

I have a football one I created for my v800. I’m not sure about the sprint stuff but it lets you mix and match what is shown on the screen.
I just use the soccer profile and configure it from there. On that profile you have to choose, pace/speed.
I only want it for running so I can convert the pace to speed. Thees very little benefit to it, just something I would like.
I don't think it has the functionalities I described above.
Will take a look though.

Oh do tell!

I've been injured and ill for a few months so lost a lot of fitness and gained a bit of weight, aiming for the July test though my 8 hour old daughter might have something to say about that! Need to find training time around sleep!
Congratulations on the arrival of your daughter! Hope Mum and Baby are doing well.
I noted one injury caused a dropout and, I think, 4 others fail the distance.
I’ve always found dropping the weight the hardest bit but, it provides the biggest benefit when gone. And if you’re up at 4 am, sod the sleep and go for a quick run! 😎

This is something I've flagged. The FA could have serious shortages at L4 due to no promotions from L5, those who naturally step down each year, and those who have let themselves go a bit during lockdown and can't pass the fitness test..
The Yorkshire pool had a case of over supply last season so a few dropouts could level the playing field and keep us busier than last season.

Congratulations on the arrival of your daughter! Hope Mum and Baby are doing well.
I’ve always found dropping the weight the hardest bit but, it provides the biggest benefit when gone. And if you’re up at 4 am, sod the sleep and go for a quick run! 😎
Easier said than done. That was going to be my approach. If baby wakes up after a certain time, feed/change, put back down then run.
3 months later that hasn't happened even once lol.

Can't say I thought of that at 4 this morning!! Nice and light though so not a bad shout!

I ran a 1:54 half marathon 6 years ago (8:40 pace)
During the latter stages of training, my favourite training run was to do 'long repeats' because I don't think 'short repeats' are as specific for an endurance event. Anyway, I would run 2.4k in 12 minutes, walk/jog 4 minutes and repeat three times. So that's 4x2.4k Coops Test back to back at 8 min mile pace (40s quicker than my target half marathon pace)
Now I'm struggling to do one Coops at 8 min/mile pace!

I've figured that an equivalent training run for a 2.6k Cooper target would involve the following;
200m in 50s x4 with 30s rest in between
Moving onto (a few weeks later), 400m in 100s x 4 with 30s rest in between
So each 400m is 9s or 10s faster than 2.6k target pace

Last edited:
I ran a 1:54 half marathon 6 years ago (8:40 pace)
During the latter stages of training, my favourite training run was to do 'long repeats' because I don't think 'short repeats' are as specific for an endurance event. Anyway, I would run 2.4k in 12 minutes, walk/jog 4 minutes and repeat three times. So that's 4x2.4k Coops Test back to back at 8 min mile pace (40s quicker than my target half marathon pace)
Now I'm struggling to do one Coops at 8 min/mile pace!

I've figured that an equivalent training run for a 2.6k Cooper target would involve the following;
200m in 50s x4 with 30s rest in between
Moving onto (a few weeks later), 400m in 100s x 4 with 30s rest in between
So each 400m is 9s or 10s faster than 2.6k target pace
I have barely trained for mine over the last 2 or 3 months. I was surprised when I did a mock tests that I did it comfortably. Finding time to train with a new baby has been hard.
However, in the past (and a lot of what I did in lockdown before baby) I have always gone with running much further than I need to. Longer slower runs to improve aerobic base, so when I come to run for 12 minutes my body easily copes.
I can do a sub 24 min 5k when training regular which I see as back to back coops (less 200m) test in reality so long as I am doing that I know on track without my usual cornish rolling hills I will be alright.

Reactions: es1
I have barely trained for mine over the last 2 or 3 months. I was surprised when I did a mock tests that I did it comfortably. Finding time to train with a new baby has been hard.
However, in the past (and a lot of what I did in lockdown before baby) I have always gone with running much further than I need to. Longer slower runs to improve aerobic base, so when I come to run for 12 minutes my body easily copes.
I can do a sub 24 min 5k when training regular which I see as back to back coops (less 200m) test in reality so long as I am doing that I know on track without my usual cornish rolling hills I will be alright.
Well yeh, the overall strategy is always to run slightly further, slightly slower AND slightly shorter and slightly faster (marathon being the exception)
Converging the two onto the target race-pace-distance

Last edited:
Pre-season?! Ha! I did 19 games in June. Ref shortage so did as many as I could. 2 with a Fifa-badged assistant on the other side, one with a Champions League AR in the middle. Best match wad assisting on the U17 top div with one of the best teams. Great young ref that I have watched mature. Low point was going to give a YC SPA into the sun. Took me the third attempt to get the right player!

Few weeks off and back at it soon!

Good luck to you all!

Argh son has just tested positive for covid

There goes the next 10 days of training (And longer if I get it!)

I bought a m340 on the back of this and I did the Cooper test tonight successfully. Was so much better knowing the pace I was running at so I could adjust accordingly. Mentally it makes it so much easier for me. Not looked at whether it has a feature like you described. Perhaps other users of the watch on here may know?

Reactions: es1
I bought a m340 on the back of this and I did the Cooper test tonight successfully. Was so much better knowing the pace I was running at so I could adjust accordingly. Mentally it makes it so much easier for me. Not looked at whether it has a feature like you described. Perhaps other users of the watch on here may know?
M340 doesn't have it. Think @es1 posted the models that do.

Back