A&H

Getting Ready for 21/22

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
How is everyone’s preparations for the 21/22 season going?

I need to finish of the last module of the safeguarding re-qual so I can register with the CFA.

Im getting rid of all my existing kits, as through injury and lock down they all seem to have shrunk, they will be donated to referees in Africa.

The only thing I really need to do is get back to the physio for some exercises for speed and agility for my knee

The Referee Store
How is everyone’s preparations for the 21/22 season going?

I need to finish of the last module of the safeguarding re-qual so I can register with the CFA.

Im getting rid of all my existing kits, as through injury and lock down they all seem to have shrunk, they will be donated to referees in Africa.

The only thing I really need to do is get back to the physio for some exercises for speed and agility for my knee
Hopefully, I'm fit again now following 5 months of pain/injury. Looking forward to a Refereeing at L5 and new challenges
Training wise, I'm planning on doing less routine 5K+ runs and more higher intensity stuff. If the opportunity presents itself, I'd like to get some entry-level observer training under my belt, or offer up a bit of time to mentoring

Last edited:
I'm in the semi-retired category and officiate less than 20 games a season these days, focusing much more on observing. Fitness wise I'm in decent shape, I was 82kg at lockdown 1 start, got that down to 70kg and now hovering around 73kg. Fitness is only part of it though, and if I do too much my knees flare up, so it is all about careful management. Less running and more long walks and exercise bike.

I reckon I’ll be at a decent level of fitness for the standard of football I will be officiating by the time the season starts.

But I do find that it takes me longer to recover than it used to, but I need to just be better with recovery sessions and stretching etc.

my aim is that 21/22 will get me back up to speed and then I’ll have another crack at 6-5 and start slipping more Saturday afternoon football as well.

I need to go through my mystery box to see what I have in the way of cards etc, but I’m fairly positive I’ve enough notebooks and stuff that I won’t need to buy anymore for a few years.

Hopefully, I'm fit again now following 5 months of pain/injury. Looking forward to a Refereeing at L5 and new challenges
Training wise, I'm planning on doing less routine 5K runs and more higher intensity stuff. If the opportunity presents itself, I'd like to get some entry-level observer training under my belt, or offer up a bit of time to mentoring
I found mentoring really rewarding, helping new referees in their first few formative games etc.

Passed the fitness test this morning (surprised by the number that didn’t), so going into pre season mode for the next 4 weeks rather than training to run 2.6 km in 12 minutes.
At my age, recovery is vital and I can do Saturday/Tuesday comfortably but Saturday/Sunday is a not possible.
Don’t know about you guys but I enjoy my occasional lines although I found them more difficult to recover from than a middle.
Roll on August!

Season just finished last weekend for me, so taking a couple of weeks off with minimal fitness work to give a couple of niggles (no doubt caused by me doing more games this season than I'd done in the last 3 seasons combined) time to resolve themselves.

Need to finish off my safeguarding re-certification so that I can register for next season and planning to get back running next week - already eager to get going again!

Went to run 2.6km in 12 mins this morning (something which I've done several times pre lockdown without any issue). Did 2.1km and had a very tight chest for an hour or so after and still feeling it now. Post covid issue maybe? Could be that my fitness has dropped off a cliff in the last 6 months but I've got a few weeks to gain half a km in the fitness test.

Pre-season? I'm still doing at least 1 game every Saturday and Sunday, sometimes 2. Only youth, U16 to U18 at the moment and the odd one midweek, but season not yet ended for me

Went to run 2.6km in 12 mins this morning (something which I've done several times pre lockdown without any issue). Did 2.1km and had a very tight chest for an hour or so after and still feeling it now. Post covid issue maybe? Could be that my fitness has dropped off a cliff in the last 6 months but I've got a few weeks to gain half a km in the fitness test.

This is something I've flagged. The FA could have serious shortages at L4 due to no promotions from L5, those who naturally step down each year, and those who have let themselves go a bit during lockdown and can't pass the fitness test..

Passed the fitness test this morning (surprised by the number that didn’t), so going into pre season mode for the next 4 weeks rather than training to run 2.6 km in 12 minutes.
At my age, recovery is vital and I can do Saturday/Tuesday comfortably but Saturday/Sunday is a not possible.
Don’t know about you guys but I enjoy my occasional lines although I found them more difficult to recover from than a middle.
Roll on August!

Oh do tell!

I've been injured and ill for a few months so lost a lot of fitness and gained a bit of weight, aiming for the July test though my 8 hour old daughter might have something to say about that! Need to find training time around sleep!

Be reet, my first training run was 2200m, did 2380m Friday, plenty of time to lose a bit of timber and make up the distance

Oh do tell!

I've been injured and ill for a few months so lost a lot of fitness and gained a bit of weight, aiming for the July test though my 8 hour old daughter might have something to say about that! Need to find training time around sleep!
Congrats 😁 it's been one of the hardest challenges for me.
Just need to make sure you trade training time with the Mrs for rest from baby.

Congrats 😁 it's been one of the hardest challenges for me.
Just need to make sure you trade training time with the Mrs for rest from baby.

Well done and thanks! If I make it through the July one I'll be delighted

Hopefully I'll be awake and have enough energy for some training runs, only 12 mins!

Be reet, my first training run was 2200m, did 2380m Friday, plenty of time to lose a bit of timber and make up the distance

Part of the issue is I found it difficult to gage the pace I was going at. Think I need to get a better watch...

Part of the issue is I found it difficult to gage the pace I was going at. Think I need to get a better watch...

For sure, mine tells me my pace and distance (any any number of other parameters if I desire!) Polar m430...

This is something I've flagged. The FA could have serious shortages at L4 due to no promotions from L5, those who naturally step down each year, and those who have let themselves go a bit during lockdown and can't pass the fitness test..

I can definitely see it being an issue. I'm 5'11 and 80kg's (was always about 78kg before lockdown) so I'm not as fit as I was I'm not unfit either. I was guessing the pace so I think I'll be better next time but it was the aftermath that was the issue for me. Felt like I'd run a half marathon (which I was doing 12 months ago) and I had an issue with my chest and arms for the rest of the day. See how we go.

Back