A&H

GEO V POR

JamesL

Staff member
Level 3 Referee
Thoughts on the No Penalty on Ronaldo?

About as clear a case as holding as you'll see. I know we are looking for a higher bar but surely that's just above the line. He does end up chucking himself down but not sure that's a reason not to give it.

Anyway, been a yellow card waiting to happen shouting at ref and waving arms around, the referee has duly obliged and given him one.

A&H International
Penalty just awarded to Georgia. Initially I thought pen, and the angles VAR had shown supported my thought. Anyone disagree?

How was he cheating? He was kicked in leg just above the ankle. Clear contact. Careless foul.
the fact that he totally milked it, and launched himself into the air ? lol
If he wore proper shinpads, I might have had some sympathy

How was he cheating? He was kicked in leg just above the ankle. Clear contact. Careless foul.
Negligible contact. Launches himself into the air.

That'll cover it

Football has needed to get a grip of itself for years. Rewarding cheating like this is embarrassing. Just enables and encourages more cheating

That'll cover it

Football has needed to get a grip of itself for years. Rewarding cheating like this is embarrassing. Just enables and encourages more cheating
For me the contact is not negligible.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, we've created this weird world where a foul goes unpunished unless the player goes down. Chicken and egg.

That'll cover it

I make you right. It's a pen, but they should have stamped this stuff out years ago

For me the contact is not negligible.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, we've created this weird world where a foul goes unpunished unless the player goes down. Chicken and egg.
Yes, we (collectively) have enables it for 30 odd years but even more so recently. We must do better.

For me it’s a penalty, but it shouldn’t be a penalty. He could easily have stayed up, the contact was there but it wasn’t what caused him to go down. One of them frustrating ones where you’d like to issue a caution for simulation and a penalty together 🤣

Forgive my ignorance, I don’t know who the lady giving advice on refereeing decisions on ITV is, but I like it! First time I’ve seen her, but I can’t disagree with anything I’ve heard her say
Cristina Unkel, and I agree with her analysis. From one angle it looks like inconsequential contact, from another it looks like he takes very heavy contact on his leg. As she said, he has exaggerated the contact, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a foul. That said, whilst I think it is a penalty I'm not sure it was enough for VAR to get involved.

Cristina Unkel, and I agree with her analysis. From one angle it looks like inconsequential contact, from another it looks like he takes very heavy contact on his leg. As she said, he has exaggerated the contact, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a foul. That said, whilst I think it is a penalty I'm not sure it was enough for VAR to get involved.

See this is what I don't get, if you think from one angle it looks like heavy contact then why don't you think it's enough for the VAR to get involved with?

I disagree with Cristina saying the referee thought there was no contact because if he thought that then he should be given a free kick to Portugal and book the player for diving which ironically if that did happen, then sending the referee to the screen may be seen more justifiable by the pundits.

Back