A&H

Gave offside from a goalkick..

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3014

5 mins into first half striker clean through on goal, Lino sticks flag up I oblige & give offside :wall:

It didn’t register with me mid flight ball in air that it came from a goal kick, also hand on heart I’m ashamed to say I didn’t know if you could be offside from a goal kick anyway.

Total clanger from my part the Lino was mortified, I explained it’s not your fault the buck stops with me, it haunted me for pretty much the whole of the first half it made me look & feel like a right numpty, luckily Striker in question was a complete gent & said sh*t happens ref your human.. yeah I know how often will you get a reaction like that from a player.

I played a decent advantage which resulted in a goal in 2nd half so that got me some credit back, nothing anything close to a yellow all game but a tricky one to ref, I ran the line Saturday & although nice to be in a team & good to get another AR run out under my belt it really does hinder me the next day when I ref, it happened the last time I ran the line & it happened today, I dunno what it is but I’m so mentally focused on throw ins and offsides running the line that come my turn in the middle I lose my natural instinct for a while, nothings second nature like it usually is.

Anyway shame on me for not knowing the law, luckily decent spirited game we even had a bit of banter 2nd half when a goal kick didn’t leave the box & I called the restart.

Live and learn I guess but not my best day at the office to say the least.

The Referee Store
The most important thing here is that you have acknowledged you made a mistake. Now you know the law, and you'll be better off for it next time. Keep on brushing up on the LOTG, keep on learning, and you can only improve! Better you make one mistake now and stop it happening in the future again than keep on doing it. Onwards and upwards!

Nearly everyone knows the throw-in part. Not as many know the goal kick part. Even fewer know the corner kick part.

But know you know and hopefully won't make the same mistake again!

Nearly everyone knows the throw-in part. Not as many know the goal kick part. Even fewer know the corner kick part.

But know you know and hopefully won't make the same mistake again!

I’ll never make the same mistake again until the day I hang the whistle up.

Could someone please clarify the distance or ruling on players trying to stand infront of a corner taker, is it edge of box or 10yrds, then there is the short corner where a defender can stand 3yrds away, so slightly confused.

Also high boot that makes no contact with players body or face is it a idfk or do you play on as no contact was made, also if it’s in the box can you award an idfk to artacking team in the box?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone please clarify the distance or ruling on players trying to stand infront of a corner taker, is it edge of box or 10yrds, then there is the short corner where a defender can stand 3yrds away, so slightly confused.

10 yards from the edge of the corner arc (so 11 from the corner flag).

Also high boot that makes no contact with players body or face is it a idfk or do you play on as no contact was made, also if it’s in the box can you award an idfk to artacking team in the box?

If in your opinion the high boot was dangerous to someone then yes give the IDFK. Even in the penalty area.

2lVW0YA.jpg

Don't mean to sound overly critical here, but these are very basic things that you should know off by heart. I know you hadn't recently, but have you passed the LOTG exam to get your level 7, as these types of questions are likely to crop up. You really need to go back and read the laws time and time again to try and digest it, things like this will happen in games and you need to know what to do.

I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea that players can stand 3rd yards away at a "short corner"? They have to stand 10 yards away at any corner, and many pitches will have a line marked on the goal lines and touchlines to show this distance.

True story
A live tv game, offside given in other six yard box, offside
From the kick, 50 60 yards upfield, striker is off...
I flag and buzz and with comms shour "offside"
Ref waves me down and shouts "its a goal kick"
But
It was not, esp as he still had a hand in the air
Offside

Don't mean to sound overly critical here, but these are very basic things that you should know off by heart. I know you hadn't recently, but have you passed the LOTG exam to get your level 7, as these types of questions are likely to crop up. You really need to go back and read the laws time and time again to try and digest it, things like this will happen in games and you need to know what to do.

I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea that players can stand 3rd yards away at a "short corner"? They have to stand 10 yards away at any corner, and many pitches will have a line marked on the goal lines and touchlines to show this distance.

I had a game yesterday and I told a player to get back 10yrds, he said really ref I said yes 10yrds don’t make me have to come over to you & with that he retreated.

I’ve got my exam wed & I don’t expect it to go well although I’m going to revise like mad from now til then.

I didn’t mean literally 3yrds but short corners always end up with a tussel when a team time wastes in the corner after taking a short one.

Your right it’s basics that I should know, believe me I’m not proud to say I don’t know some basic laws, it was me yesterday that looked like a complete numpty for disallowing an offside goal from a goal kick.

I’ll be studying those laws at any given moment trust me.

5 mins into first half striker clean through on goal, Lino sticks flag up I oblige & give offside :wall:

It didn’t register with me mid flight ball in air that it came from a goal kick, also hand on heart I’m ashamed to say I didn’t know if you could be offside from a goal kick anyway.

Total clanger from my part the Lino was mortified, I explained it’s not your fault the buck stops with me, it haunted me for pretty much the whole of the first half it made me look & feel like a right numpty, luckily Striker in question was a complete gent & said sh*t happens ref your human.. yeah I know how often will you get a reaction like that from a player.

I played a decent advantage which resulted in a goal in 2nd half so that got me some credit back, nothing anything close to a yellow all game but a tricky one to ref, I ran the line Saturday & although nice to be in a team & good to get another AR run out under my belt it really does hinder me the next day when I ref, it happened the last time I ran the line & it happened today, I dunno what it is but I’m so mentally focused on throw ins and offsides running the line that come my turn in the middle I lose my natural instinct for a while, nothings second nature like it usually is.

Anyway shame on me for not knowing the law, luckily decent spirited game we even had a bit of banter 2nd half when a goal kick didn’t leave the box & I called the restart.

Live and learn I guess but not my best day at the office to say the least.
dont beat yourself up about it it happens, bit surprised you didnt know you couldnt be offsde in that situation, bet it doesnt happen again, was it a club ar,
the folly of letting unqualified people give offside

You sometimes need to learn a few one liners or get out of jail calls to deflect a situation where you’re not 100% on a decision. If you’re not 100% on a penalty call wave play on and shout play to whistle or something. Give a goal kick to diffuse a potential corner that could send a game south after a split call. Do it at both ends though!

dont beat yourself up about it it happens, bit surprised you didnt know you couldnt be offsde in that situation, bet it doesnt happen again, was it a club ar,
the folly of letting unqualified people give offside

To be honest it hadn't even registered in my head that it was from a goal kick, that minor detail had passed me by.

But hands up I didn’t know the law didn’t have a clue if he could be offside or not.

Yes club AR & he was horrified when it came to light that between us we were wrong, I said to him it’s 100% my fault not yours I’ve got the whistle and I should have known, to be fair both AR’s were fair and decent all game there wasn’t a single dodgy offside call or any controversy apart from that one obviously.

Midway through second half player sprints through centre mid, opposition try’s to bring him down the whole pitch & sidelines scream for a free kick I wave the advantage & they go onto score it got me a bit of credibility back.

But it’s one I’ll never forget that’s for sure.

Wait till you’re on a penalty and attacking team errs and it’s saved! What do ye do!!!

No, please. I've done this for years and I still can't figure out that one, so stop it! (Without looking at the book is it an IDFK?)

o be honest it hadn't even registered in my head that it was from a goal kick, that minor detail had passed me by.

Mate, you'll probably do it again in the future, in pre-season (hopefully). I gave an offside off a throw-in once from the CAR, thankfully during pre-season, and I knew the bloody laws! Just a brain-fart really, I trusted the AR and didn't really think about it!

I didn’t know if you could be offside from a goal kick anyway.
me yesterday ... disallowing an offside goal from a goal kick.

and a few days ago...

Thanks for that & just to clarify, you can only be offside in football from a direct or indirect free kick or a through ball? Any other type of play their gk centre etc etc can not be offside?
If the ball is played to him or touched by a team-mate (free kick or open play), only on becoming involved in active play. The exceptions are from goal kick, corner kick or throw in.

Pay attention MIB. Pay attention. :)

Back