A&H

Fulham v Wolves

Not to rehash that old thread, but England was also responsible for what was arguably the biggest VAR non-subjective offside mistake in the PL before the Spurs/LFC, where he missed Saka being clearly offside before going on to score a few years ago. If I were Webb, I simply wouldn't trust him not to cause a problem from the VAR booth any more.

Do referees actually get demoted from SG1? I don't mean knee-jerk responses to poor decisions, but just generally at the end of seasons? Aside from older referees choosing to step down and the semi-retired VAR-only Dean and Moss being nudged into full retirement early, I can't recall the last time a "peak age" official got moved back to SG2? That seems problematic in general.
Stuart Attwell, Keith Stroud and Steve Tanner were all "demoted" from SG1, so it has happened, albeit some time ago.

The Referee Store
this is a big issue for me (and i get why it's incredibly hard to do) but there's no real jeopardy for prem refs. they make a mistake and not much happens. they make numerous mistakes and not much happens. i long for an active promotion/relegation system akin to what we have up and down the pyramid but appreciate this isnt really feasible with the professional contracts they all have now.

Agree. There is promotion and reclassification (demotion) at every other level between 4 and 1, why should SG1 referees be exempt from it? If a L4 has an absolute howler that infuriates both observer and club they are going to struggle to be retained come the end of the season. An L3 gets more games so more chance to redeem themselves, but a couple of howlers and they are likely to be in trouble. Yet SG1 officials seem to get a completely free hit.

I work in IT and have seen people fired for causing major incidents through change, especially when they haven't followed the approved process and / or repeatedly cause incidents. A dodgy IT change can cause millions, one I saw took down all IT systems for a FTSE 100 company for 36 hours. A dodgy VAR decision can cost football clubs tens of millions, there really isn't a lot of difference. The big difference is I'm not suggesting dismissal for mistakes, rather demotion, just a like a referee at every other level above 5 would suffer if they continually made bad decisions.

Agree. There is promotion and reclassification (demotion) at every other level between 4 and 1, why should SG1 referees be exempt from it? If a L4 has an absolute howler that infuriates both observer and club they are going to struggle to be retained come the end of the season. An L3 gets more games so more chance to redeem themselves, but a couple of howlers and they are likely to be in trouble. Yet SG1 officials seem to get a completely free hit.

I work in IT and have seen people fired for causing major incidents through change, especially when they haven't followed the approved process and / or repeatedly cause incidents. A dodgy IT change can cause millions, one I saw took down all IT systems for a FTSE 100 company for 36 hours. A dodgy VAR decision can cost football clubs tens of millions, there really isn't a lot of difference. The big difference is I'm not suggesting dismissal for mistakes, rather demotion, just a like a referee at every other level above 5 would suffer if they continually made bad decisions.
Microsoft Certified = UEFA badge

Back