A&H

From high to low

Hope you’re not beating yourself up about it, OP.

Was “Cont-ext” the “C-word”? 😂

The Referee Store
I wonder whether Trainee Refs would be better off acting as Assistant 5 times in order to qualify. I think the issue raised in the OP is probably quite commonplace. It must've been a miserable experience for @dylanbailey4444
Perfectly reasonable mistake for a 'normal person' to make, but a disaster in terms of 'what football expects'
It was pretty miserable to be honest. Ive just got to go again next week. I’ve done one game as an assistant on the national women’s league (step 4 of the woman’s football pyramid, I believe.)

the key question I think here is did you find it insulting or offensive? If you did, then it’s a red. Whilst I personally wouldn’t have sent him off, I know people who detest that particular word so I can see why some refs would issue a red.

In the flip side of that, I’ve regularly been taught as a referee the term ‘no surprises’. If you and only you spot something, nobody appeals and it would turn into total confusion, it could be worth downgrading a card or even just speaking to a player. A simple ‘I know youre frustrated, but I don’t want to hear that kind of language again’
Honestly, I didn’t find it offended. I don’t think it’s a nice word ( I was brought up in a no swearing house hold- parents don’t swear etc) so I’m not going to find it a particularly pleasant word. I shouldn’t have been so harsh and should have considered my options more. Thank you!

On Saturday at U15 game, half time red player comes to me and says that blue player called him a "small c...". I told him I didn't hear it, but if I did, he would be sent off and I advised I'll keep an ear out second half.
I call over blue player with his coach and told him there was an accusation of... and explain but saying "the c word".
I them tell both player and coach that I find that work highly offensive (which I do) and I would never say it myself and while I would unlikely send someone off if I heard them say it, they should not be surprised if I was to show a red for it. (I wouldn't dish a red myself)
EDIT: Mistyped - I would likely not send someone off from just saying the word, but I would if it was directed at someone <end edit>

Imho there is simply no need for that word and it should never be allowed. However, while I agree a red would be incredibly harsh, I would always defend the referee who took offense and gave the red.

Last edited:
On Saturday at U15 game, half time red player comes to me and says that blue player called him a "small c...". I told him I didn't hear it, but if I did, he would be sent off and I advised I'll keep an ear out second half.
I call over blue player with his coach and told him there was an accusation of... and explain but saying "the c word".
I them tell both player and coach that I find that work highly offensive (which I do) and I would never say it myself and while I would unlikely send someone off if I heard them say it, they should not be surprised if I was to show a red for it. (I wouldn't dish a red myself)

Imho there is simply no need for that word and it should never be allowed. However, while I agree a red would be incredibly harsh, I would always defend the referee who took offense and gave the red.
So you told one player you'd send the the opposition off if you heard it.. Then told the opposition that you would be unlikely to send them off, but don't be surprised if I do.
Are you in the running to be the next prime minister? 🙂

Oops - sorry, I meant to say that I told the blue player and coach it would be a sending off offence to use any offensive words directed at another player, but the use of the c word by itself has no place in the game, and while I probably wouldn't send a player off from just saying the word, don't be surprised if it do.
So, yeah - defo red for directing that word to anyone. Very harsh red for just saying it to one's self.
🥺

Yes, also, grass roots teams in County and Sunday Leagues wouldn't want to pay for more than one Match Official
Think it depends I did OA middles almost straight off and seem to be ok have also done some lines in finals / slightly higher up alongside that said I’m 24 so being 16 I imagine is much tougher starting out in OA

the key question I think here is did you find it insulting or offensive? If you did, then it’s a red. Whilst I personally wouldn’t have sent him off, I know people who detest that particular word so I can see why some refs would issue a red.

In the flip side of that, I’ve regularly been taught as a referee the term ‘no surprises’. If you and only you spot something, nobody appeals and it would turn into total confusion, it could be worth downgrading a card or even just speaking to a player. A simple ‘I know youre frustrated, but I don’t want to hear that kind of language again’
Good ideas. Thank you!

Back