A&H

Free kicks

lucy707

Hi, I was just wondering how many yards players should be from the ball in a free kick on the edge of the box when the goal line is actually closer to the ball than the 10 yards (this was on a youth pitch)? Thanks.

The Referee Store
On a normal pitch if you have an indirect free kick inside the box the defenders are allowed to be closer than 10 yards only if they are standing on the goal line between the posts. In the absence of any instructions regarding the smaller pitch I would stick with that.

Last edited:
On a normal pitch if you have an indirect free kick inside the box the defenders are allowed to be closer than 10 years only if they are standing on the goal line between the posts. In the absence of any instructions regarding the smaller pitch I would stick with that.
So there would be no wall then?

Well quite often you get a whole bunch of defenders standing on the goal line which I suppose you might call a wall. But not in the normal sense, no.

Well it's probably worth clarifying whether there are any adjustments to the laws for the smaller pitch. The competition organiser should be able to help with that. Assuming there isn't, then tell the kids they can form a wall on the goal line if they like.

If they don't like it tell them not to commit fouls within 10 yards of the goal.

So there would be no wall then?
There can be a wall - it just has to be on the goal line, that's all.
Well quite often you get a whole bunch of defenders standing on the goal line which I suppose you might call a wall. But not in the normal sense, no.
I would slightly disagree - if you have a whole bunch of players lined up side by side in an effort to stop a free kick, I would still call it a wall. Sometimes it's a wall including every single player on the defending side.

I don't see why we need to worry about semantics of what a wall is. It makes no difference whatsoever. The only question to answer is how close can the closest defender/s be (includes goal keeper)? if they want to be in a formation of straight line, circle or a triangle is completely irrelevant.

Now given the game is on a non-standard field with modified field markings or field size, I wont be surprised if competition rules also have a modified minimum distance for free kicks. Make sure you check it first.

No matter what that minimum distance is, as mentioned above, if standing on the goal line means they are closer than minimum distance, then they are allowed to stand on the goal line. Its a common sense thing supported by LOTG. Otherwise the opponents will be taking a free kick at an empty/undefended goal.

Back