A&H

Foul Counts per Team

I was watching a "tunnel cam" footage the other day for the team that I support. You can hear the away manager complaining to the ref at half time.

Manager: Are you going to give any fouls our way, you are giving it to them all the time.

Ref: Well, they have had more of the possession and your lot keep on kicking them!

I paraphrase, but only only a very small amount.

The Referee Store
I was watching a "tunnel cam" footage the other day for the team that I support. You can hear the away manager complaining to the ref at half time.

Manager: Are you going to give any fouls our way, you are giving it to them all the time.

Ref: Well, they have had more of the possession and your lot keep on kicking them!

Its the exact same principle as to why the 'bigger team' gets more pks, esp at home.
Its nothing to do with intimidation but simply the bigger team will tend to be in the opponents pen area much more, law of averages and all that.

Yep also if you have 2 teams where one is clearly better than the other, they tend to be fitter, faster and stronger as well as more technically capable, so many of the challenges are not 50-50's they are more 60-40 or 70-30's meaning that fouls go more in their favour.

Its the exact same principle as to why the 'bigger team' gets more pks, esp at home.
Its nothing to do with intimidation but simply the bigger team will tend to be in the opponents pen area much more, law of averages and all that.
That has long been my argument when people come out with big club bias claims. You ain't getting a penalty if you spend zero time in their area, whereas if they have 20 touches in your area there is more than a reasonable chance a foul will happen.

That has long been my argument when people come out with big club bias claims. You ain't getting a penalty if you spend zero time in their area, whereas if they have 20 touches in your area there is more than a reasonable chance a foul will happen.

Having followed my wee team to the big two here for many years as a kid and teen, I was a signed up member of the " we are getting nothing here " club

So I do understand it, its only when you mature ( if indeed that has happened to me), and esp take part in the games as an official you realise the real reason why your teams one half decent attack came to nothing, whereas the home team get the ' knew that was coming' penalty after 60 mins...

Yep also if you have 2 teams where one is clearly better than the other, they tend to be fitter, faster and stronger as well as more technically capable, so many of the challenges are not 50-50's they are more 60-40 or 70-30's meaning that fouls go more in their favour.
Yes came to post similar… and if the better wants to keep playing through little fouls then it’s so important to keep talking to the players, make sure they know you are still making decisions, even if the result is to keep playing.

I had a 6-0 team playing amazing football for the level. The opposition were clumsy but not even really frustrated, just a few small knocks late to the ball … I thought I was communicating great until the winning captain totally lost it from a minor knock, grabbed a throat, red card, even had the gall to accuse me of bias against his team (6-0 winners remember) with his club marks. So, yeah, careful does it!

Back