A&H

Forest-Newcastle

cwyeary

RefChat Addict
I can't figure out how this isn't a PK on Dubrovka. He's missed the ball and then raised his arm up and tripped the attacker who could still score on an empty goal.

The Referee Store
Has to be a penalty. He’s missed the ball and wiped out the attacker. The flailing hand makes it really easy to give I think.

Don't think 'wiped out' is correct.

Again shows the massive inconsistencies of VAR with much less obvious penalties given on field (jota)

I can understand the ref not giving this, and the AR. It’s not easy to see the contact the puts the striker off balance, it’s not easy to see if the GK plays the ball or not, and it’s not easy to see if the player runs into the GK or not.

I thought Sky’s piece on it was well said. He’s knocked off balance but that’s trifling. GK dives in but misses the ball. Instead of his front foot landing normally, the actions of the GK knock him over.

I can understand the ref not giving this, and the AR. It’s not easy to see the contact the puts the striker off balance, it’s not easy to see if the GK plays the ball or not, and it’s not easy to see if the player runs into the GK or not.

I thought Sky’s piece on it was well said. He’s knocked off balance but that’s trifling. GK dives in but misses the ball. Instead of his front foot landing normally, the actions of the GK knock him over.
i think the penalty shout on the trippier handball is a more viable penalty than the awoniyi one. him moving his arm deliberately to the ball says to me blatant but the fact that Taylor gave a goalkick, not even a corner for it was a bit iffy in my eyes.

Has to be a penalty. He’s missed the ball and wiped out the attacker. The flailing hand makes it really easy to give I think.
Sorry I don't disagree with you many times Santa; but NO. He was falling and left his leg in, not a penalty for me.

There is definitely a secondary upwards movement of the Newcastle keeper's arm before the contact, but I have given up trying to understand what is and isn't a penalty in the eyes of the PGMOL these days.

On that video it's a penalty as the keeper's arm movement was deliberate.

Anybody know why the VAR said no penalty out of interest?

I'd say it is a possible or even probable penalty, but I don't think it is anywhere near obvious enough of an error for VAR to get involved with. Aside from offsides and handballs we seem to be seeing far less VAR involvement and I definitely think they have been told to stay out of things that have any level of subjectivity.

I'd say it is a possible or even probable penalty, but I don't think it is anywhere near obvious enough of an error for VAR to get involved with. Aside from offsides and handballs we seem to be seeing far less VAR involvement and I definitely think they have been told to stay out of things that have any level of subjectivity.
Is a "missed penalty" a VAR required intervention? Is this "clear and obvious"?

Judging by the debate on here possibly not.

Is a "missed penalty" a VAR required intervention? Is this "clear and obvious"?

Judging by the debate on here possibly not.
I've expressed my view on this many times, but I think that it needs to be a decision that every referee looks at and immediately says it is an error. Just don't think that was the case here. It seems PGMOL have been listening to me as the number of VAR interventions have dropped off massively in recent weeks.

I've expressed my view on this many times, but I think that it needs to be a decision that every referee looks at and immediately says it is an error. Just don't think that was the case here. It seems PGMOL have been listening to me as the number of VAR interventions have dropped off massively in recent weeks.

Although is that because of a change in standards or the fact that refs haven't really had many howlers recently? The two handballs sent down in Luton/Sheffield don't scream of a change in expectations. It was just a 3pm game in February between bottom 5 sides and not that many people watched.

Although is that because of a change in standards or the fact that refs haven't really had many howlers recently? The two handballs sent down in Luton/Sheffield don't scream of a change in expectations. It was just a 3pm game in February between bottom 5 sides and not that many people watched.
But millions watched it on MoTD. I did say aside from offsides and handballs, there is in some respect less subjectivity on handballs as if the arm is high and the match officials miss the ball hitting it VAR are always going to get involved.

VAR presumably ignored it because they felt the action (contact) and consequence (unconvincing stumble) did not marry up. PGMOL went through a phase of prioritising this consideration
I had no clue if VAR would interfere or not TBH.... which is why (subjective) VAR cannot work. The VAR check will always increase the level of aggrievance felt by the team that loses out following these marginal incidents as compared to the referee making the call

Taylor did however award a softer PK to Jota when Liverpool met Newcastle earlier in the season. But then it's easier to give Liverpool a PK than Forest. On balance, even as Magpie, I think Forest can consider themselves 'unlucky'

There's a lot of factors at play here, and I don't think it's a penalty, or rather, enough in it for a penalty.

First of all the player is knocked off balance by the Newcastle defender. Normal football contact.

Second the Forest player stands on the keepers hand and that starts the tumbling that eventually sees him hit the floor

The player is not getting that ball in any event and is going over with or without the contact from the Keeper making the contact pretty inconsequential imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kes
Back