The Ref Stop

Flashing cards quickly

OldNavyRef

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Had a player do a retaliation tackle off the ball. Deemed it excessive and I expected a reaction from the fouled player/team, so I immediately raised the red.

No reaction and the dismissed player jogged off the pitch as he knew it was coming. It was a game with no team sheets.

I was happy the player jogged off but I had no name. So where do you go from there.

I ran to the side of the pitch after everything had calmed down and before the restart. Asked the coach his name. But he only knew his first.

So I peaked the player so quickly approached him and had him confirm the spelling and surname. Then ran back on the pitch and got on with the restart.

It went well and I'm glad I did it that way, but was not the smoothest of processes.

How do you flash cards without a team sheet?

The Ref Stop
I've never been in a position where I've had to flash without a team sheet, but I'd imagine the best way to do it would be to show the card but say something along the lines of "stay there a minute player, I need your name".

[
Had a player do a retaliation tackle off the ball. Deemed it excessive and I expected a reaction from the fouled player/team, so I immediately raised the red.

No reaction and the dismissed player jogged off the pitch as he knew it was coming. It was a game with no team sheets.

I was happy the player jogged off but I had no name. So where do you go from there.

I ran to the side of the pitch after everything had calmed down and before the restart. Asked the coach his name. But he only knew his first.

So I peaked the player so quickly approached him and had him confirm the spelling and surname. Then ran back on the pitch and got on with the restart.

It went well and I'm glad I did it that way, but was not the smoothest of processes.

We teach new referees that when about to send off, speak to the player to get name and number, advise them they are sent off, then show the card.

@ChasObserverRefDeveloper

Interested, is there ever an occasion where you’d be teaching a ref to show the red card ASAP, rather then undergo the full isolation process.

For example, as the OP suggested, to reduce the chance of conflict/retaliation?
Think the rod for my back was no team sheets.

Certainly got lucky it was a JPL/Academies game, so a very relaxed situation. The red card was just some red mist from the player. Apparently they were in chirping in each others ear.

But the tackle was late. From behind, and tbh the ball had long moved in. So once I seen the player go through him. Everyone elses attention was elsewhere. So he was mostly isolated. So I quickly red carded him. Hoping that would prevent a wave of players rushing over from where the ball was.

But again, due to the kind of game it was, I think that sort of reaction would have been unlikely. Literally the players own captain said to him "why you doing that mate"

Interested, is there ever an occasion where you’d be teaching a ref to show the red card ASAP, rather then undergo the full isolation process.

One way to do that is to take the red card out from your pocket (but without raising it) and call "I've got this - leave it" or similar . . .

It's certainly taught once you get to level 3, possibly even to some level 4s. There are occasions where a very quick card can help your match control massively. With that said, at these levels you always do have team sheets.
One way to do that is to take the red card out from your pocket (but without raising it) and call "I've got this - leave it" or similar . . .
Just playing devils advocate, but does that not mean that some disgruntled players are far less likely to be cooperative with you in terms of the process of giving their name. Or in some situations where the player knows they're walking and just starts going, are you really going to call them back to take their name?

It's certainly taught once you get to level 3, possibly even to some level 4s. There are occasions where a very quick card can help your match control massively. With that said, at these levels you always do have team sheets.

Just playing devils advocate, but does that not mean that some disgruntled players are far less likely to be cooperative with you in terms of the process of giving their name. Or in some situations where the player knows they're walking and just starts going, are you really going to call them back to take their name?
It reduces the likelihood of others getting involved unnecessarily, which is the initial need, but if the offender walks away at that point I would recommend one call ("Yes please, 8") then if he continues to move away record the number, invite the captain to offer a name, and afterwards report the refusal to give a name.
If the club don't give you a name, the club can be suspended until the name is provided.

Quote FAcompreferee@thefa.com 25/07/2023

1727094422381.png

I showed a quick caution for C1 RP in front of the TA's recently to 'prevent further misconduct' (as per Law) a month or so ago
Observer gave me a 'minor dev point' for incorrect process
Shame I'm more up to date (or the two of us get taught different guidance) than the observer. Not the first time that's happened. Such inconsistency has led me to value observer's advice less than I once did. In my experience, when you tell an observer you've had guidance to the contrary, it falls on deaf ears and/or causes bad feeling. We end up doing what Ref's do in debriefs... sucking it up

That said, this instruction from the FA has messed me up. My discipline process was a real strength of my game, but I found that speeding up the process last season was damaging to my overall game.
I've gone back to only showing 'quick cards' on 'special occasions'. To prevent further misconduct and for delaying the restart
Otherwise, my slower process works better on almost every other occasion. A quick card is a 'missed opportunity to exert influence on a player and the game', although I accept that at higher levels Referees rightly want to give spectators value for money rather than slightly longer stoppages

Last edited:
Quote FAcompreferee@thefa.com 25/07/2023

View attachment 7592

I showed a quick caution for C1 RP in front of the TA's recently to 'prevent further misconduct' (as per Law) a month or so ago
Observer gave me a 'minor dev point' for incorrect process
Shame I'm more up to date (or the two of us get taught different guidance) than the observer. Not the first time that's happened. Such inconsistency has led me to value observer's advice less than I once did. In my experience, when you tell an observer you've had guidance to the contrary, it falls on deaf ears and/or causes bad feeling. We end up doing what Ref's do in debriefs... sucking it up

That said, this instruction from the FA has messed me up. My discipline process was a real strength of my game, but I found that speeding up the process last season was damaging to my overall game.
I've gone back to only showing 'quick cards' on 'special occasions'. To prevent further misconduct and for delaying the restart
Otherwise, my slower process works better on almost every other occasion. A quick card is a 'missed opportunity to exert influence on a player and the game', although I accept that at higher levels Referees rightly want to give spectators value for money rather than slightly longer stoppages
The reason for quick cards is mostly to do with aiding Match Control at appropriate/special occasions, but there are also occasions when it’s best to slow the process down in an attempt to calm things/the temperature down. However, there can also be occasions as you indicated to produce a quick card to reduce delay, with a decent example being to the goalkeeper for Delaying the Re-start if the Referee is positioned at the anticipated dropping zone at a goal kick - little point moving 50 yards or so to administer the caution to then retreat 50 yards.

The reason for quick cards is mostly to do with aiding Match Control at appropriate/special occasions, but there are also occasions when it’s best to slow the process down in an attempt to calm things/the temperature down. However, there can also be occasions as you indicated to produce a quick card to reduce delay, with a decent example being to the goalkeeper for Delaying the Re-start if the Referee is positioned at the anticipated dropping zone at a goal kick - little point moving 50 yards or so to administer the caution to then retreat 50 yards.
All C4's are quick cards otherwise DelayingTR has DelayedTR ;)

Has to be said, players do not help themselves by surrounding the referee after a SFP or VC incident. It basically gives a place to hide for the player(s) involved to hide if you don't really see the numbers and of course a chance for another retaliatory dig in by the player(s) concerned.

The FA are going in the right direction with this, but IFAB really needs to bring this in as well.

Back