A&H

Fitness tests

Just back from my fitness test. No CODA form me but last time I tried it was a 3 years ago at 9.8 seconds. 6 laps of sprints were between 6.03 and 6.15 seconds. But only managed 5 laps of the interval runs (17/20 sec). I was the oldest at 54 in about 25 participants. Going back again Wednesday night to knock off 7 or 10 laps.

My son at 23, did his CODA 8.?, his sprints at 5 seconds (3 of them sub 5sec) and 12 laps of 15/17. I wonder which they will go for, experience or fitness? :)

The "new" 10 laps 75/25 run/walk I haven't tried yet. Very interested in how hard it gets after 20 or so (15 secs for 75m, @20 secs rest).
Having to accelerate from a standing start at the start of the run is something that takes a little bit out of you. the 75/25 laps have a lot more acceleration bursts in them so it is a bit harder.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Having to accelerate from a standing start at the start of the run is something that takes a little bit out of you. the 75/25 laps have a lot more acceleration bursts in them so it is a bit harder.[/QUOTE]

This is where if you practise it and get it timed correctly. your walk takes you to the next starting position bang on the whistle and your off again...the key is to just be walking to the line as the whistle goes...this nullifies the standing around...use the walk to fill lungs back up with air, and if needed, have your water on the move here too.

I was fine in games with little sprints etc but come 24 hours later it was like I’d been shot. 24 hours of muscle seizure in my legs.. then I’d be fine and ok for the following week, I’m sure their must be a condition or something. Delayed Tiredness of something

I was fine in games with little sprints etc but come 24 hours later it was like I’d been shot. 24 hours of muscle seizure in my legs.. then I’d be fine and ok for the following week, I’m sure their must be a condition or something. Delayed Tiredness of something
cant tell if you are being sarcastic lol so I'll answer.
There is a condition. Its called delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). I suffer with it terribly, sometimes.

I much prefer the idea of the 75/25 fitness test which @Ciley Myrus spoke about rather than the 2000m+ 12 minute test which we do in England. It's a much more realistic representation to that of a referee

Always also bear in mind, as much as a degree of fitness plays its part, passing the fitness test merely shows you can do just that, pass a fitness test
it really gives no indication of your fitness

Except that giving an indication of fitness is exactly what the cooper test is designed to do, and why the results correlate with a persons Vo2 Max. It's also why it is used by a relatively large number of military forces to test the fitness of their soldiers.

However, I agree that it does not give an indication of how fit someone is to take part in a specific sport or activity, which is why the british army have a number of other tests which are geared towards the military role, things like forced marches carrying weight, have to run a set distance in a set time in full gear etc. And it is the same for refereeing, I've never done a game where I've run at a steady continuous pace for 12 minutes straight, so sprints ect would be more indicative of whether someone is "match fit" etc.

Back