A&H

Fitness test without training

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Due to injury I’ve been unable Tod anything for the last 2/3 months and I’ve my fitness test this Sunday (2600m in 12 minutes). I’ve been fit for just over a week and I’ve done some running in the local area and I’ve been getting there or there abouts. Any tips for on the day to help push my that little bit extra in such short notice?

The Referee Store
i'm not the fittest level 4 ref but on several occasions i've passed the test following injury with 4 to 6 weeks of training. there's no training you can do now tom actually improve your fitness, infact i'd say do nothing so you dont tire yourself out

on the day my advice would be to run the first 2.5 laps hard, building up time in the bank fo when you'll be tired later. if you can, find someone to run with so you can stick with them, i always find it easier to run faster if i'm with someone to keep pace with.

aside from that, consider if you really need to run it this weekend, are there no other opportunities? there's nothing at all to be gained by trying and failing knowing you weren't fit

Due to injury I’ve been unable Tod anything for the last 2/3 months and I’ve my fitness test this Sunday (2600m in 12 minutes). I’ve been fit for just over a week and I’ve done some running in the local area and I’ve been getting there or there abouts. Any tips for on the day to help push my that little bit extra in such short notice?
Pray for rain

Last edited:
i'm not the fittest level 4 ref but on several occasions i've passed the test following injury with 4 to 6 weeks of training. there's no training you can do now tom actually improve your fitness, infact i'd say do nothing so you dont tire yourself out

on the day my advice would be to run the first 2.5 laps hard, building up time in the bank fo when you'll be tired later. if you can, find someone to run with so you can stick with them, i always find it easier to run faster if i'm with someone to keep pace with.

aside from that, consider if you really need to run it this weekend, are there no other opportunities? there's nothing at all to be gained by trying and failing knowing you weren't fit

Unfortunately there’s only 2 chances left for the test and this is the only one I’m available for. Sounds like it’s a case of turning up, hope for the best and power on through!

Unfortunately there’s only 2 chances left for the test and this is the only one I’m available for. Sounds like it’s a case of turning up, hope for the best and power on through!

It's probably too late in the day now, but have you explained your situation to them? They might be open to an alternative if you've been injured

It's probably too late in the day now, but have you explained your situation to them? They might be open to an alternative if you've been injured
I have and they were unable to offer alternatives unfortunately

on the day my advice would be to run the first 2.5 laps hard, building up time in the bank fo when you'll be tired later.
Personally I find it easier to keep a consistent pace all the way through instead of doing that. 1:50 laps will get you round with 5 seconds to spare!

Personally I find it easier to keep a consistent pace all the way through instead of doing that. 1:50 laps will get you round with 5 seconds to spare!

At the end of the day you need to find what works for you. Going off faster has always worked well and did on Sunday! Started lapping at 1.40 ish slowing to 2.00 by the end. Gets me round with 10/15 seconds to spare.

That’s my thought process. I’m going to do the first 2 laps at a pace I feel comfortable with then check my watch to see how I’m getting on, then adjust accordingly!

At the end of the day you need to find what works for you. Going off faster has always worked well and did on Sunday! Started lapping at 1.40 ish slowing to 2.00 by the end. Gets me round with 10/15 seconds to spare.
You're lapping at 1:40 leaving time to spare because you can and it reduces overall risk for you
If 1:50 is towards someone's limit, 1:40's would likely lead to a bad outcome

You're lapping at 1:40 leaving time to spare because you can and it reduces overall risk for you
If 1:50 is towards someone's limit, 1:40's would likely lead to a bad outcome

Exactly why you need to figure out what works best for you!

I find it hard to speed up once I've been going at a pace so goimg off quick is essential

Have you run 2.6 k and if so what time?

Exactly why you need to figure out what works best for you!

I find it hard to speed up once I've been going at a pace so goimg off quick is essential
Yes... 'negative splits' are very difficult. If you go slow in the hope of saving energy, good luck! Everyone has an optimum pace for every distance

Reactions: es1
Have you run 2.6 k and if so what time?
Just got back from a run and managed it in 12:48 which I’m happy with as I know I can do the distance, just need to push myself a bit more. I feel that when I’m in the test, I’ll be motivated to push that little bit extra as well

Yeah the adrenalin of doing it on the day certaibly helps, as does running with others.

Go out there and smash it

Just got back from a run and managed it in 12:48 which I’m happy with as I know I can do the distance, just need to push myself a bit more. I feel that when I’m in the test, I’ll be motivated to push that little bit extra as well
If that's training speed you should be 1:15 to 1:30 quicker as a minimum.......
The secret's in the pacing......get it right don't leave yourself too much to do and negative splits should be a breeze under test conditions.....

If i was a gambling man; by chance i am... i'd wager you'll make it in the time allotted

Last edited by a moderator:
I bank too. Had 2m45 spare for my last lap this time round so was able to take a leisurely jog round for the remainer
Yeah the adrenalin of doing it on the day certaibly helps, as does running with others.

Go out there and smash it
So does the flat and the running surface.
The slight inclines, random turns, crossing roads all serve to slow you down on road running. Tracks are way faster.
I think at that time off track you should be OK. Have a caffeine shot 30 mins before and plenty of pasta night before and think you'll squeeze it in.

Back