A&H

First Time Being Assistant Referee

My fledgling career as an AR has been gathering pace over the last few months and I've somehow wangled a County Semi on Saturday
Some comments on the role;
a. Crabbing can cause blisters!
b. Resisting the impulse to flag early is more difficult than one might imagine
c. It took me a number of games to appreciate importance of following BOTH the ball and the second last defender
d. I have a phobia with respect to flagging in the wrong direction for a throw or foul etc. (Haven't erred yet, but I seem to delay slightly whilst making a mental calculation before raising the flag)
e. Linked to d.....mental commentary is insane 🤔
f. I routinely find it difficult to get the attn. of the referee, either by flagging or yelling (which i guess reflects badly on the refs)
After being AR for a good few months, I still get flustered with the smaller calls like throw ins, compared to bigger calls like offsides and fouls. Really not sure why as when I'm in the middle with club ARs I hardly have to think about it

The Referee Store
After being AR for a good few months, I still get flustered with the smaller calls like throw ins, compared to bigger calls like offsides and fouls. Really not sure why as when I'm in the middle with club ARs I hardly have to think about it
Too much thinking time;)

I think part of it is the difference it duties/positioning. As R we need to take an overall look, but focus our attention where we think decisions are most likely, and we stand wherever the heck we want to have the view we want (yeah, yeah, within the loose confines of the diagonal). As ARs our position is tightly mandated (and we have to be tracking players to know where it is) and we are always looking for positions for potential OS calls. In other words, we are forced to be devoting attention away from the ball--which can make those who-did-it-touch calls harder sometimes.

I think part of it is the difference it duties/positioning. As R we need to take an overall look, but focus our attention where we think decisions are most likely, and we stand wherever the heck we want to have the view we want (yeah, yeah, within the loose confines of the diagonal). As ARs our position is tightly mandated (and we have to be tracking players to know where it is) and we are always looking for positions for potential OS calls. In other words, we are forced to be devoting attention away from the ball--which can make those who-did-it-touch calls harder sometimes.
Very true. Definitely want to improve this aspect of my AR game

I agree. I also don't like it when referees do a waist high signal before their proper signal as an indicator to the AR so they don't end up crossing. I find myself focusing more on that than the actual decision, then delaying the flag.

I found this myself with the few I’ve done as AR. Especially if there’s a bit of a pinball scenario near the touchline. I think it’s because you need that second to process who it came off, then a moment to make sure you flag in the correct direction...problem is ‘football’ wants the flag straight away and you’ve got every side claiming for it.

With OS and ball in/out calls nobodies better placed than you, so it’s easier to be confident in your decision. If there’s a call to be made and you’re 10-15 yards down the line, with the players & potentially coaches/crowd better positioned, if it’s a ‘best guess’ which is wrong you end up getting a fair bit of flak.

It’s amazed me how much a 50-50 throw in going the other way seems to bother players/coaches....it’s only a throw-in FFS! Again I think it’s because it’s that one call they can see a bit better in some cases.

I found this myself with the few I’ve done as AR. Especially if there’s a bit of a pinball scenario near the touchline. I think it’s because you need that second to process who it came off, then a moment to make sure you flag in the correct direction...problem is ‘football’ wants the flag straight away and you’ve got every side claiming for it.

With OS and ball in/out calls nobodies better placed than you, so it’s easier to be confident in your decision. If there’s a call to be made and you’re 10-15 yards down the line, with the players & potentially coaches/crowd better positioned, if it’s a ‘best guess’ which is wrong you end up getting a fair bit of flak.

It’s amazed me how much a 50-50 throw in going the other way seems to bother players/coaches....it’s only a throw-in FFS! Again I think it’s because it’s that one call they can see a bit better in some cases.
Completely agree

I have told players complaining about a TI call that if they want to whine about calls they should at least wait till its something that matters. But use with caution.

I think part of what is important on in-out directions is for R and AR to be on the same page as to who is doing what when. Standard expectation here is that on the AR's half of the touchline, AR just signals, but on the far end of the touchline, R has first crack. At the R's end, either the R will ask for a subtle suggestion (e.g., shifting hands with the flag but not raising, or moving the hand slightly away from the body to show direction) or will advise that if they look at the AR before signalling, then they are asking for help. I find the teamwork on this natural as R or AR with those I know well. I would imagine it much more difficult for those who rarely AR or who rarely have ARs they can trust.

I have told players complaining about a TI call that if they want to whine about calls they should at least wait till its something that matters. But use with caution.

I think part of what is important on in-out directions is for R and AR to be on the same page as to who is doing what when. Standard expectation here is that on the AR's half of the touchline, AR just signals, but on the far end of the touchline, R has first crack. At the R's end, either the R will ask for a subtle suggestion (e.g., shifting hands with the flag but not raising, or moving the hand slightly away from the body to show direction) or will advise that if they look at the AR before signalling, then they are asking for help. I find the teamwork on this natural as R or AR with those I know well. I would imagine it much more difficult for those who rarely AR or who rarely have ARs they can trust.

I had one kid (kid...U13 & about 6’3!) bang on about a corner every time he got within talking distance of me for a good 5 mins, it was one of them that seemed to come off both players at the same time in a sliding tackle-GK), I just asked him if he was REALLY going to moan all game about a corner not being given- whilst pulling a face and shaking my head....that done the trick.

Back