RefSix

First Time Being Assistant Referee

alexv

My fledgling career as an AR has been gathering pace over the last few months and I've somehow wangled a County Semi on Saturday
Some comments on the role;
a. Crabbing can cause blisters!
b. Resisting the impulse to flag early is more difficult than one might imagine
c. It took me a number of games to appreciate importance of following BOTH the ball and the second last defender
d. I have a phobia with respect to flagging in the wrong direction for a throw or foul etc. (Haven't erred yet, but I seem to delay slightly whilst making a mental calculation before raising the flag)
e. Linked to d.....mental commentary is insane 🤔
f. I routinely find it difficult to get the attn. of the referee, either by flagging or yelling (which i guess reflects badly on the refs)
After being AR for a good few months, I still get flustered with the smaller calls like throw ins, compared to bigger calls like offsides and fouls. Really not sure why as when I'm in the middle with club ARs I hardly have to think about it

After being AR for a good few months, I still get flustered with the smaller calls like throw ins, compared to bigger calls like offsides and fouls. Really not sure why as when I'm in the middle with club ARs I hardly have to think about it
I think part of it is the difference it duties/positioning. As R we need to take an overall look, but focus our attention where we think decisions are most likely, and we stand wherever the heck we want to have the view we want (yeah, yeah, within the loose confines of the diagonal). As ARs our position is tightly mandated (and we have to be tracking players to know where it is) and we are always looking for positions for potential OS calls. In other words, we are forced to be devoting attention away from the ball--which can make those who-did-it-touch calls harder sometimes.

alexv

I think part of it is the difference it duties/positioning. As R we need to take an overall look, but focus our attention where we think decisions are most likely, and we stand wherever the heck we want to have the view we want (yeah, yeah, within the loose confines of the diagonal). As ARs our position is tightly mandated (and we have to be tracking players to know where it is) and we are always looking for positions for potential OS calls. In other words, we are forced to be devoting attention away from the ball--which can make those who-did-it-touch calls harder sometimes.
Very true. Definitely want to improve this aspect of my AR game