A&H

First real 'angsty 'game

I have an almost zero tolerance for dissent. The first sign of it, I'll stop the game, and talk to the offender concerned to nip it in the bud. Most times it works. When it doesn't, I'll call both captains in and tell them

'look this is getting beyond a joke, it's every decision, you can hear it as can I. I'll give you the opportunity now to talk to your players as the next one is in the sinbin'.

It's then an easy sell when someone inevitably says something they shouldn't and more often than not, the players will get on their back rather than yours. It helps beyond that moment and that game though.

I love nothing more than turning up to a game and hearing the coach or captain tell the players, 'you know this ref, any back chat, he'll send you to the sinbin so keep it shut'

Part of the problem though isn't the players, it's the referees that are not consistent managing dissent. Everyone has different tolerance levels but some ignore it completely. It's confusing for the players in reality so by setting your stall out clearly early on, you are less likely to experience it.

The Referee Store
I have an almost zero tolerance for dissent. The first sign of it, I'll stop the game, and talk to the offender concerned to nip it in the bud. Most times it works. When it doesn't, I'll call both captains in and tell them

'look this is getting beyond a joke, it's every decision, you can hear it as can I. I'll give you the opportunity now to talk to your players as the next one is in the sinbin'.

It's then an easy sell when someone inevitably says something they shouldn't and more often than not, the players will get on their back rather than yours. It helps beyond that moment and that game though.

I love nothing more than turning up to a game and hearing the coach or captain tell the players, 'you know this ref, any back chat, he'll send you to the sinbin so keep it shut'

Part of the problem though isn't the players, it's the referees that are not consistent managing dissent. Everyone has different tolerance levels but some ignore it completely. It's confusing for the players in reality so by setting your stall out clearly early on, you are less likely to experience it.

As with most things, if it works, great

i find I use my mouth more than the whistle though so I would feel upset if i turned up to hear those words, i absolutely encourage communication, my ethos is, we will work with each other through the game

we cant do that if the coach is basically gagging his players.

i personally cant think of a worse reputation to have than quoted, disclaimer, it might be someone elses Utopia and thas ok too

• Sad
Reactions: Kes
There are lots of things that could give a referee a worse reputation. This thread is about dissent, how to stop it/cope with it.
Opening poster asked how people cope, I merely responded how I cope.

Back