A&H

First match back

Can’t wait. Have a line this evening and sat and Sunday games this weekend.

Have a double header on Saturday... never done one before!

Just confirming - I treat both games as completely separate. Any bookings/dismissals will be reported separately?

Time to liberate myself from the added lockdown pounds!!
Yes, two separate matches in your double-header.

The Referee Store
Can’t wait. Have a line this evening and sat and Sunday games this weekend.

Have a double header on Saturday... never done one before!

Just confirming - I treat both games as completely separate. Any bookings/dismissals will be reported separately?

Time to liberate myself from the added lockdown pounds!!

Yep a double header is two separate games.

You send a player off in the first game, then they are eligible to play in the second!

Yep a double header is two separate games.

You send a player off in the first game, then they are eligible to play in the second!
Unless the competition rules forbid it.

We have club vs club fixtures at state level where each club has one team in every age group up to open age. A whole day is dedicated to a fixture which includes game form the lowers age group (usually U12) to open age. In most cases some better players play in their own age group and play some short minutes in the age above. The comp rules specifically mentions a sent off player takes no further part in a day's fixture.

We have club vs club fixtures at state level where each club has one team in every age group up to open age. A whole day is dedicated to a fixture which includes game form the lowers age group (usually U12) to open age. In most cases some better players play in their own age group and play some short minutes in the age above. The comp rules specifically mentions a sent off player takes no further part in a day's fixture.
For summer tournaments and things like that they can put something like that in the competition rules, but leagues don't have the authority to impose an immediate suspension over here - strictly down to the FA/County FA to deal with on-field misconduct, and any suspensions for sendings off start 7 days later.

***Sigh*** Let's not confuse matters.

In England at grass roots level, the concept of double headers often happens this time of year, normally due to games having been called off due to bad weather over the winter.

These league games then get moved to agreed "double headers" with each game being played over the minimum required time (usually 30 minute halves).

In England, the referee does not enforce a suspension, this is done by the County FA, based on the referees submission of discipline through Whole Game System and could be subject to appeal by the player (though highly unlikely).

Ok. Ok. Don't shoot me. So long as you are talking about England only.

Here referees don't enforce suspensions either. Even in a daily fixture referees can change from game to game and the referee from the next game wouldn't know who was sent off in the previous game. It's up to teams to stand down sent off players. The process is very open to abuse and very often is exploited. As I am sure similar processes are exploited in other countries at lower levels or higher levels for that matter. All we do if we know an ineligible player is in the team, we report it.

Thank you for that. Think it will be a challenge to treat each game as a separate entity - but will be fun, nonetheless.

Well - both games went excellently, except for one almighty brain fart! Ball had entered goal (keeper took it in), and I totally misheard/misinterpreted the lino.

Luckily it didn't have a huge effect (was a bit of a thrashing), but still so frustrating when that happens.

Explained it all to the team afterwards, and they were really good about it and understood my point of opinion - but still not a nice feeling, especially as both games went so well considering!!

Tell us more. So you are saying play continued and you did not go back to a goal decision. If so that would be more of an issue for the AR. If a goal is scored in this case and you do not give it, he should be doing whatever necessary to make sure you hear/interpret him right.

Quite a severe L5/S1 slipped disc for me
Broke the MRI machine, such was the brightness on the image
Working from Home has taken its toll. Long long periods of sitting to blame

Been really fortunate here in that I've done 2 OA friendlies on the line, 2 OA friendlies in the middle, 2 U18 friendlies and 1 U14 league game before competitive OA today. Got 2 games tomorrow U16,U18 and could have done 10 games tomorrow such is the shortage in this neck of the woods. Foolishly bought new boots so blisters after 1st game so reverted to old boots. best buy was new gloves and thermal top

I’m being thrown in the deep end tomorrow. First game back and my 2nd 7 > 6 observation. I know i’m lucky to have the observation but I’d rather it be in 3-4 games time when I regain my confidence after a couple of tough games before lock down.
how did it go

Haven't logged on here for a while, so here goes for me:

Had my first game(s) back weekend just gone. Was supposed to come back in early March, but had my appendix go the day I got my appointments, so that kept me out for 4-5 weeks. Got my state's premier league youth games (U13 and 14) but stuck with CAR's who had no problems, just coaches from the same club for both games asking for foul throws on every second throw. Only had a yellow card in the second game to a player who just gave away a penalty because he kept going on while I'm trying to keep players out of the box ("How can you see from where you are if that's a penalty"). Made him crap his pants for a second (and myself too) because I forgot which card was in which pocket for a second and pulled the red card out of my back pocket while I was talking to him, looked at my hand and saw the red, and then told him, "My apologies, it's not a red, it's a yellow. I'm the referee so I'll decide if I'm in the right spot to see a penalty."

My only other issue was during the start of one of the first game, because I didn't really do a full pre-match check (my bad) and after clearing the ball and adjusting his sock, I saw and overheard a centre-back telling his right-back that he forgot to bring his shin pads and his brothers were too small. Told him while the ball was up the other end that I'm making him sub-off (rolling interchange at that level) to go and put some on, so had a few people asking why he was going off after they saw me talking to him.

Association issued new uniforms last year, which I purchased and received all but the socks, so this was my first game(s) with the new socks, and.. they've left one foot with reeeealllly bad blisters where the skin has actually come off. Told myself I'll just wear plain black socks next weekend because it doesn't really matter if I'm the only referee doing the game and it's not being covered. So, you can imagine the dismay that went with my joy today when I got appointed to be AR for a first grade and under 23's game in my state's premier league that will be covered with an internet broadcast, because now I'll have to wear the new socks!

EDIT: The more I read the read threads, the more I remember from the weekend.. sigh..
Kind of blocked a shot accidentally, so bad positioning on my part. Bounced off my leg and went to their defence who cleared it. Shot taken about 5 metres towards halfway from the corner of the penalty area, so I stopped play once the defence cleared it, for a dropped ball to the attacking team. I'm hoping now thinking back that was the correct restart as per the latest dropped ball/hitting a referee LOTG amendments?

Last edited:
Association issued new uniforms last year, which I purchased and received all but the socks, so this was my first game(s) with the new socks, and.. they've left one foot with reeeealllly bad blisters where the skin has actually come off. Told myself I'll just wear plain black socks next weekend because it doesn't really matter if I'm the only referee doing the game and it's not being covered. So, you can imagine the dismay that went with my joy today when I got appointed to be AR for a first grade and under 23's game in my state's premier league that will be covered with an internet broadcast, because now I'll have to wear the new socks!
From years of playing basketball and avoiding blisters, two pieces of advice:
  • Put a strip of adhesive tape over the place that blisters; that way the rubbing is against the tape, not your skin (make it long enough it won't come off easily--having it go under your foot an inch will help make it not rub off)
  • Wear a thin pair of socks under the ref socks; that way the two socks rub instead of creating the blister

Association issued new uniforms last year, which I purchased and received all but the socks, so this was my first game(s) with the new socks, and.. they've left one foot with reeeealllly bad blisters where the skin has actually come off. Told myself I'll just wear plain black socks next weekend because it doesn't really matter if I'm the only referee doing the game and it's not being covered. So, you can imagine my dismay that went with my joy today when I got appointed to be AR for a first grade and under 23's game in my state's premier
From years of playing basketball and avoiding blisters, two pieces of advice:
  • Put a strip of adhesive tape over the place that blisters; that way the rubbing is against the tape, not your skin (make it long enough it won't come off easily--having it go under your foot an inch will help make it not rub off)
  • Wear a thin pair of socks under the ref socks; that way the two socks rub instead of creating the blister
Yep have that all organised ready to go. I’ve been wearing these silicon-padded bandaids over the area while I’m at work, so might double up on them for this weekend

I've missed three weeks with this 'fenestrated' lumbar disco of mine, but some industrial strength anti-inflammatories seem to have me on the mend
It seems I can jog pain free, except that I've done zero exercise (except walking) since Christmas. So I'm basically shagged after 800m or so!

Back