A&H

First injury as a referee

206eddy

Absolutely gutted and quite annoyed with myself.

Last weekend had a county cup game. It kicked off late due to ET being played on the pitch beforehand and for whatever reason I didn't warm up properly. About 10 mins from the end I felt a bit of a tweek in my thigh but carried on and finished the match. Got home and it was sore but could move about etc. didn't bother with any RICE or suchlike. Felt better but not 100% by Saturday. Went out and ran the line but once home I knew I'd knackered it quite badly. Despite all that I iced it and took a few painkillers then went out and (somehow) got through a league cup game yesterday morning. I can barely walk today and it's paint full as heck.

I'm gutted because I've had to cancel my games for this coming weekend (first time I've had to do that) and mega annoyed because I feel I've let down the teams I reffed yesterday (they were both fine as it happens but doesn't make it right) and also not sure how long I'll now be unable to referee. Hopefully with the Christmas break coming up it'll get a decent rest and get it 100% right for the new year.

Sorry for the rant but I needed that out. Has anyone got any tips for muscle injuries and getting healed or is it just a case or rest, rest and more rest?

The Referee Store
Rest, rest, rest and then rest some more

Did anyone mention rest? :)

I use a trigger point foam roller which is like a sports massage at home. Great for muscle problems.

When you know you have damaged yourself, sometimes you need to put your hands up early and admit you need to rest before you really knacker yourself. I have learned that lesson the hard way.

I'll give you a bit of advice - rest ;)

In all seriousness, don't come back until you're 100% certain it's right. Better to have an additional weekend off getting it right than making it worse and taking another 3/4 weeks off. And trust me, I'm talking from very bitter and painful experience!

I haven't refereed a game all season yet due to being injured, hopefully will be able to come back after the new year.

Looking forward to be able to get back onto the field. I think the best help would be rest, will help from making it worst :p

Tweaked my hamstring during a game, thought I could run it off. Was very wrong! Ended up with a partial tear. Wasn't pleasant getting back to fitness. Cost a fortune at the physio. So when I get told to rest now, I do exactly that

Has anyone mentioned rest? Its the only cure. There is no sense in being the brave little soldier and turning out when still carrying a niggle as it either impacts on your game or gets worse and means you are out for longer. Look on the situation positively though, there isn't a better time of year to get injured except in late May. With Christmas coming up it's likely your leagues will close down for a week or two and then the weather will eat up most of January meaning you have a few free weeks not to feel bad about missing games.

Seriously though, do rest and if you can afford it, get some physio as it can help speed up your recovery. Also your physio might be able to analyse how the injury occurred and give you some exercises to prevent against a re-occurrence and/or strengthening the affected area.

With things like pulls, I always follow the advice given to me years ago by a physio:

Rest it until it feels right, then rest for another two weeks.

Back