A&H

First Game!

Jakegre1

Hello everyone,
Just got confirmation of my first game on Saturday for U9s. Does anyone have any tips or reminders?

The Referee Store
Hello everyone,
Just got confirmation of my first game on Saturday for U9s. Does anyone have any tips or reminders?
Enjoy being in charge it's u9s so don't expect a whole lot to do (except tie laces) have fun I always like doing teams that age it's a refreshing break from my other game!

Do not be too rigid in your application of the laws. All players at that age (U9) wanna do is play football
By all means if the tackles start flying the intervene and ensure the players know what you will and will not accept

Above all, go out and enjoy your game

Do not be too rigid in your application of the laws. All players at that age (U9) wanna do is play football
By all means if the tackles start flying the intervene and ensure the players know what you will and will not accept

Above all, go out and enjoy your game
Thanks. how would you deal with backpasses or foul throws etc?

At the age group you will be refereeing (U9) throw in I deal with as follows
If the first 3 or four are not done according to law, I'd let them now what is required and ask that they do it again and comply with the relevant law

As to the backpass, am not sure that it is applicable at U9. Hope someone will correct me if that last statement is wrong :)

At the age group you will be refereeing (U9) throw in I deal with as follows
If the first 3 or four are not done according to law, I'd let them now what is required and ask that they do it again and comply with the relevant law

As to the backpass, am not sure that it is applicable at U9. Hope someone will correct me if that last statement is wrong :)
Back pass differs from league to league some allow them some dont

I'm a veteran U9s ref as one of my brood is....9; and refs are never appointed to that age group in my area
If the boys are decent and the parents have aspirations, you might have some refereeing to do. Otherwise the games are very tame in my experience
Engage in some tittle tattle with all the parents beforehand and give them the impression their 'little soldiers' are in safe hands. Blow for borderline fouls (which you might let go with the bigger lads) and stop the game for any tearful injuries.....and be prepared to tie lots of boot laces!

I'm a veteran U9s ref as one of my brood is....9
If the boys are decent and the parents have aspirations, you might have some refereeing to do. Otherwise the games are very tame in my experience
Engage in some tittle tattle with all the parents beforehand and give them the impression their 'little soldiers' are in safe hands. Blow for borderline fouls (which you might let go with the bigger lads) and stop the game for any tearful injuries.....and be prepared to tie lots of boot laces!

That brings up a slightly off topic point actually..... I personally do not tie up any players laces, but am more than happy to bring the coach, or on occasion an adult, to do so.....
Other refs are happy to do so?

That brings up a slightly off topic point actually..... I personally do not tie up any players laces, but am more than happy to bring the coach, or on occasion an adult, to do so.....
Other refs are happy to do so?
Yeah I don't mind unless my hands are freezing I send them to their parents

Not for me... I am referee not a guardian. Happy to hold the game uo though whilst coach comes on and ties up.

I totally agree, the less physical contact the better, if none at all.
Think about the extremes, you as ref tie his laces, they come undone, he trips and breaks leg
Now, whose going to be responsible..........
Easy to scoff and say hey that wont happen......this time last week had we considered a referee would be suspended for doing his hand jive pre match??

Dont let that one occasion be you

Just simply no. Solves issues before they arise

Back