A&H

First Game this Sunday 😩

The Referee Store
First game this coming Sunday a youth friendly between two local teams. Nervous is an understatement 🤮🤮

i had a facebook memory last weekend which i posted 20 mins before my first match, i was bricking it! i got my first decision wrong too...

11 years later though and thst nervousness doesnt really go away for me, just learn to deal with it!

smash it, i'm sure you'll do fine!

My worst games have been when I have not been nervous before hand. Always get a bit of butterfly feeling pre game. Rarely eat well on a Saturday lunch time. Is what it is. Learnt to deal with it. Recognise it for what it is and see it as a good sign.

I'd add to the whistle blowing, practice your arm signals so that you make them confidently. It sounds silly, but it really is a good idea to practice them in front of a mirror to see what you look like--looking and sounding confident makes a big difference in how you are perceived.

And when you make a mistake--you will; we all do--don't let it get you down, just move on.

Good luck and have fun out there!

You’ll be ok everything will be fine it’s generally the adults you need to worry about on the line spoiling youth football but you will soon learn how to deal with that good luck

As Zimmyman says, try not to to listen to all the 'referees' on the side lines. Hard to do, but a necessity!
Talk to the players, be confident with the whistle but most of all - ENJOY IT!!
If you know you've made a mistake, move on. We don't do time travel so don't dwell on it, you'll have plenty to keep you busy.
Good luck.

First game this coming Sunday a youth friendly between two local teams. Nervous is an understatement 🤮🤮
It’ll go better than you expect. Remember nobody knows it’s your first game, they just see another referee, so even if you don’t quite feel like one yet, just act like one!

Don’t be afraid to give yourself time to make a decision either, there’s no rush. Plenty of smiles, talk to the players and enjoy yourself!

I once got the coin toss decision wrong. I'm not making this up.

I got past that, but when the ball was booted out by the defender, who then sheepishly appealed for the throw, I gave it to him! Leading to some very confused looks 10 seconds in!

Is there to be a more experienced member of your association watching you at the weekend, as it is your 1st game??
If so, make sure there is a conversation between the 2 of you at the games conclusion
Ask for pointers on things that can be improved and also ask for information on things that were done well

Is there to be a more experienced member of your association watching you at the weekend, as it is your 1st game??
If so, make sure there is a conversation between the 2 of you at the games conclusion
Ask for pointers on things that can be improved and also ask for information on things that were done well
Yeah as it’s my first I’ll be accompanied by a rep of the association, thankfully!!

Use the senior member of your Association as a Sounding Board
Ask for his opinion
The more senior members of your association will be a fountain of knowledge to
you in your early games

Back