A&H

"First" game "back"

I've been interested in the replies from folks regarding the number of fixtures that they are getting. I could have done 6 fixtures this weekend running Fri eve/Sat am/Sat pm/Sun am/Sun pm. I doing 4 of them.

Is it just my area with plenty of options or individuals just preferring certain types of match? I'm not particularly fussy... mine cover all ages and genders.
I get what I'm given through MOAS for my main fixtures based on my open dates.

Outside of that, I have a couple of appointment secretaries that will offer me games around that availability and I take them more often than not, usually only turn them down if I've got a good reason to.

Could be a bit more picky or go hunting for more games through social media, but that doesn't really do it for me.

The Referee Store
My County Cup line is still set to go ahead.
more risk of a frozen pitch at the moment down here I think!
Hopefully it’s on, I can’t see the appointed referee being able to cover a rearranged game and I’m keen to see what comms is like!

My County Cup line is still set to go ahead.
more risk of a frozen pitch at the moment down here I think!
Hopefully it’s on, I can’t see the appointed referee being able to cover a rearranged game and I’m keen to see what comms is like!
We'll be on down here. It's only a very mild frost and is sporadic as in we had no frost herw but 5 miles down the road in Newquay did.
It will easily thaw for a 3pm KO and I expect we'll have a full fixture list tomorrow 😁.
Which is a shame as I was eyeing up popping up to your game if it was touch and go and mine was off. As it is we are as far apart in the county as is possible, I think.

We'll be on down here. It's only a very mild frost and is sporadic as in we had no frost herw but 5 miles down the road in Newquay did.
It will easily thaw for a 3pm KO and I expect we'll have a full fixture list tomorrow 😁.
Which is a shame as I was eyeing up popping up to your game if it was touch and go and mine was off. As it is we are as far apart in the county as is possible, I think.
Yea I’d imagine your game will be on down there!

I don’t think we could be further apart within the county though! 😂

Hat, gloves, jacket. You'll be fine.
Pair of ear muffs might help too 😉
Not too cold today and I know both teams pretty well and have a good relationship with them both, so should be too bad.

Now watch me have jinxed it and it be WW3 out there! 🤣

Heavy heavy pitch, on a very noticable slope and a very one-sided cup match. Add in that it's my first match in over a month and it's absolutely no surprise that I barely managed 6.5km! Had a couple of late cautions to the losing side at they just lost their discipline a touch, but pretty happy with it overall, no major complaints about me from either side - on we go!

Not too cold today and I know both teams pretty well and have a good relationship with them both, so should be too bad.

Now watch me have jinxed it and it be WW3 out there! 🤣
Home side (Step 5) won 2-0 v one of their local rivals (Step 6).

Both sides good as gold and an amazing atmosphere, it's a small ground and they got over 850 in through the gate.

Very good, close County Cup game today.
2-1 to the home side, winner was a penalty and the away side missed a pen earlier in the game.

1 tasty tackle that we settled on yellow but they wanted red.
From a learning point of view it was superb. The man in the middle was our RDO and a current EFL referee. Special dispensation to use comms at our level for today.

I can safely say that the use of comms makes life so much easier in terms of swiftly reaching a correct decision and discouraging any negative behaviour from the sides.

The comms played a vital role in establishing the aforementioned tackle was punished by way of a yellow rather than red as both myself and the referee had differing angles, being able to quickly communicate what we’d both seen meant we could reach a decision without much delay and this helped keep the situation under control (sort of… there was still a bit of handbags from the benches!)

If you’ve got a referee in the middle who uses it correctly and talks throughout the game then give me a comms kit over buzzer flags any day!

Home side (Step 5) won 2-0 v one of their local rivals (Step 6).

Both sides good as gold and an amazing atmosphere, it's a small ground and they got over 850 in through the gate.

Impressive especially on a cold day. Home side losing 1-2 for me on the line today. One bench particularly vocal from minute 1 but no real issues. Winner scored direct from a corner.

Very good, close County Cup game today.
2-1 to the home side, winner was a penalty and the away side missed a pen earlier in the game.

1 tasty tackle that we settled on yellow but they wanted red.
From a learning point of view it was superb. The man in the middle was our RDO and a current EFL referee. Special dispensation to use comms at our level for today.

I can safely say that the use of comms makes life so much easier in terms of swiftly reaching a correct decision and discouraging any negative behaviour from the sides.

The comms played a vital role in establishing the aforementioned tackle was punished by way of a yellow rather than red as both myself and the referee had differing angles, being able to quickly communicate what we’d both seen meant we could reach a decision without much delay and this helped keep the situation under control (sort of… there was still a bit of handbags from the benches!)

If you’ve got a referee in the middle who uses it correctly and talks throughout the game then give me a comms kit over buzzer flags any day!
Thanks for the feedback, interesting. I was expecting you to say the first time took a bit of getting used to.

Thanks for the feedback, interesting. I was expecting you to say the first time took a bit of getting used to.
We used them during our warm up and pre match checks to get used to them. Then the first 5-10 mins was a bit weird but after that it was great.

The only real issue I found was during a mass con. All 4 officials were talking to players simultaneously and it was all coming over the headset while trying to talk to the players I was dealing with!

Made it very difficult to concentrate with 3 other voices in my ear as well as 3-4 players and a physio all quizzing me!

Last edited:
Thoroughly enjoyed my first game in 2 years yesterday. Not the most exciting of games, but a good bunch both on and off the pitch

I got my first senior game yesterday.

Bit unusual, I got a round of applause from the spectators in the stand as I went off. 😃

Back