A&H

First game appointments

JackwFerrari

Morning all,

You’ve probably all read these sort of things previously so apologies in advance.

First two games this Sunday, an U13s and an U14s, 13s is a cup fixture, 14s league.

Absolutely buzzing and can’t wait to get out there.

One question, at U13’s would we caution as normal? I want to be spot on with my decisions and if I feel someone has done something worthy of a caution I act upon it without the managers pulling me aside or the kids running off crying because I’ve made the correct decision.

I assume U14s will be slightly more lively, which is good as I want to challenge myself.

I cannot wait to start the journey!

The Referee Store
The lotg tell you what modifications are to be made depending on age etc

Cautionable offences, are not one of them. We can adapt our tolerance to suit, but overall if something merits a caution, then its a caution.

My own personal advice is that if something can only be descibed as a red card, then without question, its a red card.

The coaches expect a referee to referee the game, and if the referee feels a card is required,then, a card it is.

If I see someone waltzing down the wing with the ball only to find themselves cemented by the opponent, am seeing the foul,not the age level on display.

Coaches might well have a word at the end, saying something like, ref did you have to book him, and so on. My own reply is along lines of, am here to apply the lotg to the best of my ability and I felt a card was required.

Exactly the answer I was after, thanks very much.

I understand that I’m here to apply the LOTG and I will do that, I just didn’t know whether there’d be uproar if I caution someone.

I’ve got to try and referee the game as I would a professional game I suppose.

Although, I doubt I’ll be cautioning anyone for entering the VAR control room this Sunday.

Thanks again for the advice Ciley!

At that age group you are going to cause more problems by not cautioning. They know the rules they all watch MOTD all play fifa they know what is right and what is wrong. Do not look for a card but when it is needed use it. Just remember to take their name an number to cool things down and explain your decision to the player as it will probably be their first caution. Alos players at that age do not know the procedure of being booked so they expect the flash technique seen on tv.

Exactly the answer I was after, thanks very much.

I understand that I’m here to apply the LOTG and I will do that, I just didn’t know whether there’d be uproar if I caution someone.

I’ve got to try and referee the game as I would a professional game I suppose.

Although, I doubt I’ll be cautioning anyone for entering the VAR control room this Sunday.

Thanks again for the advice Ciley!

At that level you'll definitely still have an uproar when cautioning someone. You'll get the usual they're only kids, it's youth football etc etc, but as Ciley mentioned the LOTG still need to be followed

12-13-14 they know the important laws, as do coaches and parents. You have to use your cards!

11 and under, especially if mixed ability and small sided teams then your approach might be different (hopefully no cards needed but you never know - expect the unexpected).

At that age group you are going to cause more problems by not cautioning. They know the rules they all watch MOTD all play fifa they know what is right and what is wrong. Do not look for a card but when it is needed use it. Just remember to take their name an number to cool things down and explain your decision to the player as it will probably be their first caution. Alos players at that age do not know the procedure of being booked so they expect the flash technique seen on tv.
Thanks, i'll bare that in mind. I'll be sure to take the name etc. when cautioning.
Thanks for the advice!

Had a situation at the weekend where I went to caution a player (U12) for A reckless challenge got the yellow card out and as soon as he saw it he stormed off the field and played no further part in the game should I still try and find out who the player was and put the caution through or just not bother?

12-13-14 they know the important laws, as do coaches and parents. You have to use your cards!

11 and under, especially if mixed ability and small sided teams then your approach might be different (hopefully no cards needed but you never know - expect the unexpected).
Very true! I want to be able to referee all games seriously rather than making excuses for players becuase they're 'only kids'. I won;t be in the middle for anything below U13's I'd hope.
Thanks for the advice.

So far, all my cautions in youth haven't been disputed much because they were the right decision. The only time a manager has had a go at me for a card was when I sent his u15 lad (top goalscorer) off after he swore at me; I gave him a second yellow (first for persistence which was accepted by the player and manager). In my experience, most yellows at that age are for persistence and unsporting (usually tripping or reckless). The only one that's been different for me was for an u12 or 13 on his final warning who decided to boot the ball away after the whistle for offside. Most managers tend to tell their players to get on with it, as they know what warrants a caution

So far, all my cautions in youth haven't been disputed much because they were the right decision. The only time a manager has had a go at me for a card was when I sent his u15 lad (top goalscorer) off after he swore at me; I gave him a second yellow (first for persistence which was accepted by the player and manager). In my experience, most yellows at that age are for persistence and unsporting (usually tripping or reckless). The only one that's been different for me was for an u12 or 13 on his final warning who decided to boot the ball away after the whistle for offside. Most managers tend to tell their players to get on with it, as they know what warrants a caution
Thanks, Alex. That's good to know. Hopefully these games are going to be quite challenging for me and I can use what I've been taught.
Did you give the u12/13 player a second caution out of curiosity?

I am three games in and have yet to caution or send off a player/coach. There has been absolutely no reason to do so.

Do you have a separate note pad for writing down times, what the offence is, number etc. The notepad I have, once all the team lines etc are written in there is little space for anything else and if it were to be a game with a fair bit going on I would imagine it would get very messy.

Last edited:
Had a situation at the weekend where I went to caution a player (U12) for A reckless challenge got the yellow card out and as soon as he saw it he stormed off the field and played no further part in the game should I still try and find out who the player was and put the caution through or just not bother?
Yes, if it was a caution then report.

And more - consider whether you should issue a second caution for leaving the FOP and then a misconduct report for the failure to give you his name :confused::redcard:

You should be finding out there and then who he was, ask the manager for his name. Could arguably give him a second caution for leaving the FOP resulting in a very quick red for them

Jack all of the above is great advice, just remember the latitude you give younger players is that the definition of careless will be a little broader. This will allow some lemons you'd have no hesitation issuing in an adult game being considered only careless and not a card.
Enjoy...

If played on the full size pitch, apply the full force of the laws. Small sided game. I'd be more tolerant than usual.

Of course if you can manage some situations without a card and not impacting your control or fairness, then do that. But you would do that in OA games as well so age has nothing to do with it.

Jack all of the above is great advice, just remember the latitude you give younger players is that the definition of careless will be a little broader. This will allow some lemons you'd have no hesitation issuing in an adult game being considered only careless and not a card.
Enjoy...
Thanks Minty. Everyone has been very helpful. I agree there will be some leeway with the careless fouls, maybe due to ability at that age but anything that crosses the border into reckless I'll be sure to handle accordingly.

Thanks - I can't wait!

If played on the full size pitch, apply the full force of the laws. Small sided game. I'd be more tolerant than usual.

Of course if you can manage some situations without a card and not impacting your control or fairness, then do that. But you would do that in OA games as well so age has nothing to do with it.
I'm pretty certain they'll be played on full size pitches.. I blooming hope so as I want the freedom of a full pitch!

Thanks for the advice, the general consensus is that I should treat this the way I would any other game so I'll be doing just that!

Reactions: one

You surely were able to get the number? That's all I be needing here, I would not even approach coach at this point, I would just fire a yellow card into the air and get on with the game
Post match, I would prob approach coach "number 8 that walked off, whats his name please",
And that is even a might, I might simply just submit the caution as 8 as per team sheet (am a huge believer that if team sheets are wrong thats not the referees fault but i do accept other folk have differing views).
Worst case and there is no 8, I simply submit caution report as 8, no name given, and very briefly detail that the player walked off the park and despite attempting to get his name from the coach it was not forthcoming.

Dissent - My advice would be to make sure you stay on top of it. Maybe the odd 'oh ref', you can ignore but anything stronger than that or anything loud enough for others to hear then act. Not saying get the cards out, but make sure player/parent/manager knows what is and is not acceptable.

It might well save you a card or two later in the game.

Back