A&H

First AR appointment

atfccookie

Level 7 Referee
I have reffed 8 youth games since taking the basic course a few months ago, all seems to be going quite well and I have received positive feedback from coaches about the quality of my reffing.

This week I'll be having my first go as an AR in an U16s academy match. It has been a while since since the course, during which the input on being an AR was fairly minimal so any help/tips would be appreciated. I don't want to be bombarded with information, just a few key things to remember would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
Concentrate on your half of the field. If play in other half, look to see where 'your' defenders and any attackers might be,

Don't forget there are two officials looking after the play in the other half, 99% of the time they won't need your input.

Offside is your priority, if an 'obvious' foul occurs near you and you miss that because you are checking for offside, don't worry about it - the referee can call fouls , he can't judge offsides.

Listen to pre match by the referee and ask any questions if you feel he/she has missed something or you're not clear about anything.

Enjoy - oh and ignore crowd/bench!

Hold your flag in the hand closest to the ref. This will be in your left hand predominantly.
When flagging switch hands if required before raising your arm (only attacking throw ins/free kicks will actually be flagged with your left hand) and be crisp and bold with your flagging so the ref can see.

Have fun!

Hold your flag in the hand closest to the ref. This will be in your left hand predominantly.
When flagging switch hands if required before raising your arm (only attacking throw ins/free kicks will actually be flagged with your left hand) and be crisp and bold with your flagging so the ref can see.

Have fun!
Is that right? Got me thinking now ...

Surely attacking throws/free kicks are flagged with the right hand (ie towards the goal if you are doing the standard left back position) and only the defending teams throws and free kicks are with left hand?

After a bit of clarity now.

Is that right? Got me thinking now ...

Surely attacking throws/free kicks are flagged with the right hand (ie towards the goal if you are doing the standard left back position) and only the defending teams throws and free kicks are with left hand?

After a bit of clarity now.

I'm glad someone else brought that up, I thought I was going mad. I think it's just written wrong.

I have reffed 8 youth games since taking the basic course a few months ago, all seems to be going quite well and I have received positive feedback from coaches about the quality of my reffing.

This week I'll be having my first go as an AR in an U16s academy match. It has been a while since since the course, during which the input on being an AR was fairly minimal so any help/tips would be appreciated. I don't want to be bombarded with information, just a few key things to remember would be a great help.

Thanks in advance
Read the section in the good book about assistant referees and team work. Trumps most tips here :):D

Minor thoughts on signaling:
-be patient—most new ARs don’t hold the signal long enough. The objective is to look confident and be visible
-the flag should be an extension of your arm. Many new ARs have a tendency to hold the flag in a fist, so the flag drifts behind the. The best way to avoid this is to put your index finger along the pst of the flag, which will naturally make the flag extend from your arm.
-seems silly, but do some signals with the flag in front of a mirror to mKe sure they look sharp. We don’t always look like we think we look.

And lastly, eye contact with the R is your friend. Rs used to working with ARs will make contact regularly.

Back