A&H

First Adult League Game

Ok, so, I watch a new ref today and he is ok but shirt out
I watch a new ref tomorrow and he is also ok but shirt in
RA manager asks which one was better, I say "both same but ref 2 had shirt in" (as it was the only diff)
Guess who would be no1 and no2 in the RA managers mind...
Complete bunkum! It’s NOT a requirement, and if it is used to split someone apart then that guy wants to hang up his clip board

The Referee Store
Complete bunkum! It’s NOT a requirement, and if it is used to split someone apart then that guy wants to hang up his clip board

You miss my point. Am saying its not a requirement. Am saying though you say to someone who has not seen the refs to choose between 2 refs on same marks, one shirt in, one shirt out.
The man with clip board has not passed a positive or negative comment re the shirt out, only passed comment that the shirt was out, so he has no reason to hang up his clip board.

both refs have 6 observations, both refs have scored, 8.4 average, both refs are as fit as each other and are the same age, 6 observers have PASSED COMMENT in some way but not indicated their own views on the shirt out ref. Its a referee observation and if you observe the referee with, pink boots, or shirt out, you can say "the referee had pink boots", because that is what you saw, you should not put, "the referee needs to bin the pink boots" because, thats not relevant to the performance.
the guy with shirt in will get the step up if its a choice between the two

if you wish to referee public park with no ambition or hope or desire of promotion, thats more than ok.

Last edited:
Ok, so, I watch a new ref today and he is ok but shirt out
I watch a new ref tomorrow and he is also ok but shirt in
RA manager asks which one was better, I say "both same but ref 2 had shirt in" (as it was the only diff)
Guess who would be no1 and no2 in the RA managers mind...

Knowing how this works, I'd say it was who's the most available!!! Nothing to do with shirt or ability!

Knowing how this works, I'd say it was who's the most available!!! Nothing to do with shirt or ability!

if that was the variable between the 2 refs in question then that might be a consideration. Along with age, build, job, and all the other things that should not matter but do.
All marks, fitness, everything the same, one is a postie, one is a doctor? Doctor 10/10 getting the vote if its a choice between the 2.

I suppose I was lucky, I was never on any promotion path or need to referee at a higher level. I generally did have my shirt tucked in but I'm sure on hotter days I didn't too! Had I ever been assessed, which I wasn't, at least not formally anyway, then I'd of told the assessor commenting on it where to shove his clipboard. and, Yes, I'd of never of made it up any ladder, I know!!!

I had a recent run in with a very high ranking HSE official who tried to go for me on an FFI (2 x £129/hour fine) regards Mercury dust. I'd tested it to the only requirement in the guidance that is near to that (0.5m/s) and he insisted that in his opinion it should be at 1m/s for Mercury (its highly poisonous), I asked him where in his guidance book it said that and it wasn't there, just his opinion..... I argued that it was like me driving down a road at 39mph in a 40mph and he thinks it should be a 30mph... I got away with paying nothing!!! But I learned loads!! Over zealous officials making things up need telling to do one!! If its in the guidance then I have no issues!!

So that's settled. Shirt tucked in (especially when going for promotion). Glad I brought the subject up again ;)
Back to the OP, these are the things that bugged me early days;
1) Forgetting to start watch
2) Squabbling with players
3) Pointing in the wrong direction (half time turn-around is a mysterious phenomenon for referees)

So that's settled. Shirt tucked in (especially when going for promotion). Glad I brought the subject up again ;)
Back to the OP, these are the things that bugged me early days;
1) Forgetting to start watch
2) Squabbling with players
3) Pointing in the wrong direction (half time turn-around is a mysterious phenomenon for referees)

4) forgetting to mark which team had kicked off the match. 2nd half and the players come out onto the field and I can't remember so I walk to the side of the pitch for any reason I can think off. The team that didn't kick off in the first half will have their player go to the ball ready to take the kick off and I walk back on again as if nothing happened and away we go. I reckon I forgot to mark which team kicked off in my first 4 matches and I forgot the coin a couple of times.

Wow, that's a stunning amount of utter off-topic rubbish!

To @MKAhmad , just keep doing what's worked for you so far at youth level. You might get a bit more chat from the players than you're used to, but it's up to you how much of that you consider acceptable. You have the tools to stop it if it goes too far so use them! Only other things is that you might find the physicality takes a step up - again, just make your level clear and try to be as consistent as possible regarding what you are happy to allow and what you consider a foul.

Wow, that's a stunning amount of utter off-topic rubbish!

To @MKAhmad , just keep doing what's worked for you so far at youth level. You might get a bit more chat from the players than you're used to, but it's up to you how much of that you consider acceptable. You have the tools to stop it if it goes too far so use them! Only other things is that you might find the physicality takes a step up - again, just make your level clear and try to be as consistent as possible regarding what you are happy to allow and what you consider a foul.

I completely agree, and if you remember when I created the poll about shirts (which incidentally finished massively in favour of tucked in), I said there would be consequences for anyone taking subsequent topics off course talking about tucked in our out. I haven't been around since Wednesday night so missed this, but it stops now please. A referee has asked for help and advice and has got back over two pages of what is effectively irrelevant nonsense, and that isn't acceptable.

I still flipping do that... -_-
I have an anxiety on corners that I might spot a foul and indicate a defensive free kick instead of a penalty
Never come close to such a calamity, but we all know where a lapse in concentration can take us. I commentate on the game in my head to avoid directional errors

I have an anxiety on corners that I might spot a foul and indicate a defensive free kick instead of a penalty
Never come close to such a calamity, but we all know where a lapse in concentration can take us. I commentate on the game in my head to avoid directional errors
Think I’ve done it twice. Quickly realised, corrected and apologised.
Had a little laugh with the players about it and move on.
It’s very easily done.

Think I’ve done it twice. Quickly realised, corrected and apologised.
Had a little laugh with the players about it and move on.
It’s very easily done.
Either you or me misunderstood BC's post.
You spotted a foul in the penalty area and stop play. Thinking it was a defensive free kick you pointed that way. Then you realised it's actually an attacking free kick, you correct it and awarded a penalty, then apologised. I dont see how anyone can have a laugh about this.

You spotted a foul in the penalty area and stop play. Thinking it was a defensive free kick you pointed that way. Then you realised it's actually an attacking free kick, you correct it and awarded a penalty, then apologised. I dont see how anyone can have a laugh about this.
Quoted wrong post lol.
I meant just pointing wrong way for a free kick.

Imagine it though. I have a good imagination, especially when it comes to imagining all the nightmares I could have :blackeye:

Reactions: one
I have actually had a variation of this many times. Tussle between defender and attacker in the PA and the whistle goes. They are facing away from me. The defender blows up thinking I've given a pen (especially if the attacker had gone down). He then turns and sees I am signalling his free kick. The moment of eye contact, raw smile from me and apologetic look of shame/guilt on his face is priceless.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the messages, even if it did go about off topic! It went well! Gave a pen in the first 5 mins, with some complaints but they missed anyway so it didn't matter! Not long after, I ruled out a goal being over the line as I had no way of telling if it went fully offer and the club lino who was a sub was never gonna give it. In the end, away team won 3-0 with a booking each for Unsporting Behaviour. All in all a good start!

Back