A&H

Open Age First Adult Game as AR and boot Issues

It seems that some very protective pitch owners are saying that traditional astro boots, i.e. those with the multiple pimples on the sole, are not allowed and you can only wear moulded studs. I think it is a nonsense myself.
I don’t understand this at all. I would think molded studs would cause more damage to FieldTurf (what we call 4G on this side of the Atlantic) than “astros” (what I would call turf shoes).

I almost always wear astros when I work as an AR. Since I’m doing more cutting and “soccer-type” moves, a soccer shoe works better for me. I usually wear trail running shoes on grass surfaces and black trainers on turf when in the center. I see no reason to wear soccer shoes when I’m not kicking a ball or trying to control a ball.

The Referee Store
It seems that some very protective pitch owners are saying that traditional astro boots, i.e. those with the multiple pimples on the sole, are not allowed and you can only wear moulded studs. I think it is a nonsense myself.

Well I have never been asked to change my boots and I've been wearing them on 3/4G surfaces since they arrived 10-15 years ago.

Well I have never been asked to change my boots and I've been wearing them on 3/4G surfaces since they arrived 10-15 years ago.
As said above, it is very common now that Facilities won't let you onto the newest artificial surfaces unless you're wearing moulded studs
I Reffed a game at Hemel Hempstead Town (not a game in the NLS I hasten to add!) and there was someone checking our boots as we entered the FOP
Saved me a job (the biggest waste of time a Referee is subjected to :rolleyes:), but that's a different story!

Do they have running speed limit signs for those who can only wear specially designed moulded boots with custom treated tips so that the field don't get damaged? :rolleyes:

As said above, it is very common now that Facilities won't let you onto the newest artificial surfaces unless you're wearing moulded studs
I Reffed a game at Hemel Hempstead Town (not a game in the NLS I hasten to add!) and there was someone checking our boots as we entered the FOP
Saved me a job (the biggest waste of time a Referee is subjected to :rolleyes:), but that's a different story!
Same at Dorchester. They are very clear in pre match comms about it too.
I did wonder what would happen if the 30 goal striker showed up for the opposition with incorrect footwear, could they refuse him to play?

Same at Dorchester. They are very clear in pre match comms about it too.
I did wonder what would happen if the 30 goal striker showed up for the opposition with incorrect footwear, could they refuse him to play?
I've seen teams refuse to let the ref wear them. He was well aware of the instructions but decided they didn't apply to him.

When offered a pair of moulds by the club the ref "remembered" he had some in the car.

It's something to do with 'they want the traction forces to be applied at the base of the fibres, rather than sheering them (fibres) off with flat(ish) shoes'

It's something to do with 'they want the traction forces to be applied at the base of the fibres, rather than sheering them (fibres) off with flat(ish) shoes'

I would need to see a study about this, because I think that's a load of malarkey. It doesn't make any sense to me. There's a reason why you dig weeds out at the root instead of mowing over them. In all of the games I've worked on FieldTurf (and as an official in the United States where many facilities have FieldTurf, I've worked A LOT of matches on the surface), I've never been asked to wear a specific type of shoe.

I don't think it's 'very common'. It's never happened to me. I referee on 3/4G at least once a month. My son plays on 3/4G in astros at least twice a month. I've never seen a boot check take place even at academies.

I don't think it's 'very common'. It's never happened to me. I referee on 3/4G at least once a month. My son plays on 3/4G in astros at least twice a month. I've never seen a boot check take place even at academies.
Near enough every facility in Herts will mandate this. No idea why it sounds like a regional thing

I’ve never been to a place with 4G that has said you can’t wear astro type trainers/shoes.

I guess it depends on the age of the pitch, owners are likely to be more protective of a pitch that’s only a couple of years old rather than one that’s been in place for a decade.

I guess football clubs are also likely to be more protective than a sports centre or school.

I’ve never been to a place with 4G that has said you can’t wear astro type trainers/shoes.

I guess it depends on the age of the pitch, owners are likely to be more protective of a pitch that’s only a couple of years old rather than one that’s been in place for a decade.

I guess football clubs are also likely to be more protective than a sports centre or school.
Many school 3Gs in my area, The Midlands, can no longer be used for matches as they don't meet the FA grading due to misuse / poor maintenance.

Not sure how stringently this grading criteria is applied by leagues across the country

It tends to be as they are relayed, obviously costs a lot of money so the owners are very protective of it. More likely at semi-pro grounds than shared use facilities in my experience. That said, I've only experienced no flat shoes rules, I've never come across no astro boots.

I used my bright yellow boots for a while. Nobody said anything but it wasn't adult football. It was all under 13s or younger

They don't bother with enforcing colour anymore, I think the FIFA refs boots had streaks of orange in it two or three years ago.

Back