A&H

First 5 to 4 Assessment....

Darius

RefChat Addict
Like reading peoples guesses on the marks! Going for 6-4 this is the first 5-4 one (having completed my 6-5's)

1. Application of Law:

Preliminary field of play/Players equipment inspections were carried out for all to see before, quite correctly, a confident call to summon team Captains for the coin toss/choice of play direction, kicking game off with the Away side Having only 8 players (traffic problems) corrected to Law as further Players arrived. Throughout the 90mins of play you applied application of law well and in a consistent manner, recognising both Technical and Penal infringements accurately. I record a foul count of 32 (H19- A13) 5 given offside decisions with players Active plus 4 disregarded with players being passive, 2 foul throws, 9 corner kicks and an advantage played on two occasions. I would advise a slight delay to your Offside whistle which on a couple of occasions may well have given you the opportunity to keep play going and whist “Supporting” all three cautions issued; A No8 20mins, H No6 31mins, H No10 88mins (late challenge-late challenge-dangerous play High kick (accidently) respectively the stepped approach on discipline can on occasions help sell decisions and have players playing with rather than against you. Your Trailing Eye technique detected 3 of the above late but only clumsy fouls and a well spotted Handball. (H No8 on 57mins.) Your best decision of the game being the disallowed H goal from an offside player in a very tight/packed goalmouth scramble 76 mins into game. Overall a very competent performance.

2. Match Control

Throughout the game both Teams played a very competitive game of football which may have had a different Outcome had the Home side not scored their first two goals very early in the game before the away side had their full 11 Players taking part. Both teams appeared not to question your authority too much over the 90mins and you always appeared to be in control of the game without being over pedantic/petty. Decisions given from credible up with play positioning being accepted and tolerated/allowable player backchat Gave players the chance to enjoy their game without intervention until necessary which drew the game to a satisfactory conclusion on what was a very heavy surface. During the game your decision making was never affected by players, team officials or the few spectators.

3. Positioning, Fitness & Work Rate:
Fitness level showed no shortcomings and you covered large areas of ground to maintain a credible proximity to open play. The vast majority of the standard competences were met for adopted restart positioning for Goal kicks, Free kicks, Throw ins and you used dead ball time to consistently achieve your new expected dropping zone position, remaining focused on the restart in play. Varied positioning and constant movement at the taking of corner kick restarts made it hard for players to infringe unseen by always knowing where you were at set pieces. It was pleasing to see you penetrating the penalty area and the outer corners of the Field on a number of occasions During attacking play, your appearance there enhancing control and infringement detection You work rate was maintained well over the duration of the game, commendable in itself considering the very heavy ground conditions and the amount of mud that inevitably clung to footwear.

4. Alertness & Awareness,
Including management of stoppages: You were alert to and aware of happenings around you on the FOP including late clumsy tackles using the trailing eye technique. Player injury were dealt with quickly and as Law dictates but would advise you retreat from the area once Physio/trainer has arrived so as to keep an eye onto rest of players(if injury is the result of a suspected Feisty tackle the trainer may give you grief and players may be looking for retribution whilst you are distracted). Substitutions were dealt with efficiently on the half way area of the touchline. Free kicks and defensive wall restarts were well managed & controlled with no encroachment and quick restarts encouraged for all restarts.

5. Communication:
Whistle signals were audible from around the ground with differing tones indicating the severity of the infringement. Arm signals were of a good standard given quickly and clearly for direction leaving no doubt as to what had been awarded and to whom. Your almost constant verbal interaction with players ensured they understood each decision or instruction given But would advise a loud shout of “Direct Keeper” “Indirect Keeper” be given to any free kick restart given within goal Striking distance (the g/k could attempt to catch an Indirect FK / mishandle and drop the ball into the goal or it may go into goal without anybody touching and be construed as a goal) not many players will see an upright arm to indicate an indirect free kick. Your “wait for my whistle signal, arm positioning shouts/signals were well communicated. Towards the closing stages of the game with the score at 3-2 a “hurry it up keeper” shout could possibly have calmed the frantic behaviour of the away side.

6. Teamwork:
You were clearly seen to give “club assistants” instructions and with limited duties they did a fairly honest job for you, were acknowledged for their contributions and cordially given thanks at the end of the game.

7. Advantage:
You invoked the advantage clause twice, the first for the away side within the first Min of play, the second to the home side on54mins, both well signalled with the customary arms outstretched and with a loud shout of “advantage play on”. Both were played from credible areas of the Field with possession maintained and attacking potential increased with a Shot on Goal delivered inches wide from the first as well.

I'll let you all have a look before I reveal mark :)

The Referee Store
Was this an u13s game?

Otherwise cannot see any need for a referee to signal the type of free kick with anything other than the correct signal as per the LOTG.

Ah Padders, good to see you're full of the Christmas spirit .. glad tidings to all men and all that :rolleyes:.

Though, for what it's worth, I too find that piece of feedback somewhat strange and superfluous. Other than that, looks like a first rate assessment mate, top job. It's obviously a decent score .. just how good would, I suppose, depend on whether it was deemed harder than a 'normal' game (seems unlikely) and how benevolent the assessor was feeling :)

Was this an u13s game?

Otherwise cannot see any need for a referee to signal the type of free kick with anything other than the correct signal as per the LOTG.
Quite, although I will sometimes tell them a kick's indirect if it's not obvious what it's been given for, even though I'm already standing with my arm up. I'd never say that a kick's direct - there's no point. However, 2 weeks ago I awarded an ifk just outside the area and shouted "indirect lads!" The kicker still shot at goal and the gk tried to save it but parried it over the line! He then shouted that "it was indirect so he can't shoot!" and got a bit stroppy when I allowed the goal. I explained why it was counting and he shut up but half an hour later pushed another ifk round the post for a corner! That was an offside so he had some time to think about what to do with it! Not the sharpest knife in the drawer!
He wasn't challenged on either occasion so could safely have left both.
I'd guess this was something that worked for him and he didn't appear to have many development points so put it in.
Overall looks a very good assessment. Well done.

Quite, although I will sometimes tell them a kick's indirect if it's not obvious what it's been given for, even though I'm already standing with my arm up. I'd never say that a kick's direct - there's no point. However, 2 weeks ago I awarded an ifk just outside the area and shouted "indirect lads!" The kicker still shot at goal and the gk tried to save it but parried it over the line! He then shouted that "it was indirect so he can't shoot!" and got a bit stroppy when I allowed the goal. I explained why it was counting and he shut up but half an hour later pushed another ifk round the post for a corner! That was an offside so he had some time to think about what to do with it! Not the sharpest knife in the drawer!
He wasn't challenged on either occasion so could safely have left both.
I'd guess this was something that worked for him and he didn't appear to have many development points so put it in.
Overall looks a very good assessment. Well done.

Pushed a FK for offside round the post - that's quite some free kick!?

Not the biggest pitch around and the ball was a yard over half way. Most of the players were on the edge of the PA and he over-hit it. By the time it reached the goal line it wasn't going fast so the GK could have easily caught it, but I don't think he wanted to concede again(!) so instead of just leaving it he pushed it away.

Well done on what looks like a really strong 1st 5-4 assessment.

I know some people like to guess marks etc. but why not just tell us?

If you intend being a Supply League official next year, get in the habit of separating your refereeing and your social media usage as you cannot, ever, talk about such things on facecock or ****ter when you're in the FA ranks. All you do is risk demotion.

I have never seen the attraction or telling people where you're eating dinner or what tv show you are watching, but each to their own - just don't post football or refereeing relating items.

Meh I got a 75. I was happy.
I got 4th Round County Cup game. I was happy.
I got invited to attend County School of Excellence Recruitment Event. I was happy.

I found this all out within 45 mins. I was happy.

I do not see how sharing the above Facts with my friends is any different to posting anything on here?

Because you have to conform to the expected norm when you get so far on the greasy pole......any non conformists are quickly rooted out.

The FA are terrified that people might realise that referees are also human beings with a life away from the pitch.....instead of simply being tools to be used and abused however they see fit!

Sarcastic answers aside....I 100% agree that opinions should be kept to yourself. That's where people get themselves into trouble!

Passing on facts because you're feeling quite happy with yourself after working your backside off in 3 simple lines isn't in the same bracket!

@Darius No one needs to see it. Are you going to post the very low 70's and high 60's you'll be getting next season? Because the people you annoy now will enjoy seeing that because they will soon hear about it even if you don't post it on social media.

@Brian Hamilton and @lincs22 want to give me their guess at marks?

I always like this game :)

PS Brian can cheat by looking at my FB profile post but I'm still intrigued
Darius - I don't it is a game you should play with Brian or me. If you become a L4, then you will be in leagues we assess on.

Last edited:
I got 75.

Never thought of the fact you'd do games I was on....North Riding FA would cover York Premier obviously!

I got 75.

Never thought of the fact you'd do games I was on....North Riding FA would cover York Premier obviously!
Since the pool operates, I also do some West Yorks league games at supply level.

Darius - I don't it is a game you should play with Brian or me. If you become a L4, then you will be in leagues we assess on.

What does that have to do with what he posts on Facebook or other social media?

Are you really trying to imply that he will be viewed in a negative way by assessors due to his social media presence?

Everything that's wrong with the current system right there in a nutshell!

@Padfoot - it wasn't social media I was taking about but his request that we should guess his mark. @Darius was being a little presumptive asking us.
As an assessor, I couldn't careless what he posts on facebook.

Back