A&H

Fifa test and yoyo IR test - have you done it?

The Referee Store
Well, I am going to have a go at the fitness test on Saturday and the yoyo next week. I have the intervals set on my watch - it's actually 150m, 30s and 50m, 45s x20 this time for us - and I am going to try a few laps tomorrow. I dread to think what it is going to be like after 10 or 12...

...well, did half the Fifa test today just to get a feel for it. Those last 4-5 150m runs are gonna be a real pain in the you know!

Pace yourself, keep the runs at a fairly set pace. Time your walks so that you arrive at the gate pretty much at the same time as the next segment starts.

Note: Labhipermedia took that fitness file offline because it was English only. They're updating it at the moment and expect it to be online for the weekend (European time).

Rejoice. I did 2/3 if the Fifa test today. The long run was OK. We were given 150m in 35s with 50m 45s rests, which was nice.
Then a surprise, we had the sprints. We were asked for 6/7 40m sprints under 6.2s. I was pleasantly surprised I got a couple of 5.3s in.
It really only proves I can put one foot in front of the other! But chuffed all the same.

Have a good Sunday!

Last edited:
Man alive 25 seconds would be a fantastic pace to keep up for the 20 reps!

I was feeling pretty inferior for a minute there!! :)

The FIFA Fitness test is done 3 times a season up here in Scotland, 150m in 30 seconds with the 50m walk in 35 seconds x 20. The yoyo test was brought in around 3 years ago, whilst not an official test we are put through this regularly at elite category meetings and at least once a month at association training. We are expected to attain 18.2 which is a very high standard. Even fit people who pass the FIFA test cannot attain 18.2. We actually have Category 1 and even FIFA officials who cannot attain 18.2.

Faak the Yoyo was much tougher than it looked. I spannered my thigh just before doing some sprints and I generally wasn't prepared. I pulled out at an embarrassing 14.4 thinking I was going to do myself serious damage. The only positive was that most of my oppos pulled out before! Only one in our group made it to 17.1. 18.2 seems insane.

What I learned is that I can't just rock up to this one thinking I will waltz it. It really separates the men from the boys. Actually the boys from the men and the girls from the ladies. For me, the long recover test and the sprints, no problem. But must practice for the Yoyo next time.

The yoyo not only needs practice (there is a technique) but you need to be mentally focussed and ensure your diet and fluids are bang on. It is a maximal test. The pass mark of 18.2 seemed insane when I set out on the journey at first, I was getting 16.6 consistently and was shattered and frustrated. But as I worked on the turning, almost sprinting off from the line to gain momentum, changing push off leg and turning leg to distribute the pressure etc I started getting better scores. Then ensuring pre-test diet and that I am fully hydrated makes a big difference. Then, finally, it's all in the head. Trust me, mid 17's is really tough but there is no way you are giving up then and that's what gets you through.

Have any of those doing the yoyo tried a normal bleep test? How does it compare?

The yoyo not only needs practice (there is a technique) but you need to be mentally focussed and ensure your diet and fluids are bang on. It is a maximal test. The pass mark of 18.2 seemed insane when I set out on the journey at first, I was getting 16.6 consistently and was shattered and frustrated. But as I worked on the turning, almost sprinting off from the line to gain momentum, changing push off leg and turning leg to distribute the pressure etc I started getting better scores. Then ensuring pre-test diet and that I am fully hydrated makes a big difference. Then, finally, it's all in the head. Trust me, mid 17's is really tough but there is no way you are giving up then and that's what gets you through.
This is great advice. I was already focused on changing legs and starting fast. But I lost the psychological battle early. When the three guys next to me went out extremely early I lost all will - not good.

In Scotland it is the senior list and those who want to get on the senior list. Another psychological thing to embrace is that as soon as the level changes to 17 - you only have 10 runs. Count them down from 10 to 1 and there is no way you are giving up when you only have single digits to complete!

In The Netherlands the fitness tests are only mandatory for national list amateur referees plus the referees of the two professional leagues.

No test for other amateur referees, although I think it would be good for every ref to have a certain level op physical ability.

In Finland the Fifa test is only mandatory for the top three divisions. There is the 12 minute Cooper test for lower levels.

Back