A&H

Feint at a PK

socal lurker

RefChat Addict

So where exactly is the line on what is a feint after the run up. This seems correct to me, but I think many would disagree. (As a player, it seems quite a poor choice to give the R a chance to make that call--instead of a goal, his team is a man down.)

The Referee Store
It's a tough sell but I think the referee has got this right. The only question mark is whether that's actually a feint or just slowing down.

90th minute, nice and sporting of oppo to remind referee that it was the offender's 2nd yellow card :rolleyes:

If they weren't 1-0 up and it wasn't so late in the game, I expect the reaction might have been a bit more than bemusement!

Its debateable for me, could be persuaded either way - not sure I would be giving it (the fk) myself in a real live game - not sure any would have moaned if he had given the goal - again match situation/time would help the referee here.

Its 51-49 a feint for me, I did like the referees conviction tho, he certainly has sold the decision to me

its like a lot of football offences, the players given the referee a call to make with the taking of the pk, spun his bottle, he cant really complain at how its landed

Firmly in the feint camp here.
He pauses, mid kick, and whilst it is the briefest of pauses it is there no less. There is only one reason for that and that is to check the keeper and its the whole point of the law.
Well Done referee.

90th minute, nice and sporting of oppo to remind referee that it was the offender's 2nd yellow card :rolleyes:

If they weren't 1-0 up and it wasn't so late in the game, I expect the reaction might have been a bit more than bemusement!

Its debateable for me, could be persuaded either way - not sure I would be giving it (the fk) myself in a real live game - not sure any would have moaned if he had given the goal - again match situation/time would help the referee here.
Yeah, the other thing I noticed was the little red flag above both team names - both sides already a man down at this point, clearly been a tense game and I guess he's worried about it flaring up again.

Definitely a slight hitch in the downwards kick, so I can see why the referee has made this decision - not sure it was so obvious that it had to be disallowed though. But then, I really dislike these jerky slow run ups anyway, so happy to support him on this.

For me this is 100% what the law was changed for, you aren't likely to see a more obvious feint.

First time round, I couldn’t believe he’d given it. In slow motion, I can only applaud the referee. Balls of steel to give it then. I wouldn’t have given it in real time but on replay can see what a great call it was.

The law could be so much clearer. Great decision. But it's sad that the law isn't clear enough that we can all be 100-0.
With VAR in the world now, I wonder if we will see a more objective definition (a bit akin to what happened with OSP being at the start of the touch), perhaps to something like once the kicking foot begins moving forward.

Not a feint at all for me, he's changed the direction he was going to kick it on the downswing as he's seen the goalkeeper has sold himself. No pause at all.

The goalkeeper had already sold himself before the pen taker's standing foot had landed.

Last edited:
Not a feint at all for me, he's changed the direction he was going to kick it on the downswing as he's seen the goalkeeper has sold himself. No pause at all.

The goalkeeper had already sold himself before the pen taker's standing foot had landed.
It would 'make my day' to have the opportunity to call this out as 'simulation'. I would enjoy the caution!

That's the point isn't it? Keeper 'sells himself' taker has ro pause enough time to figure out where he should go. Note the pase coincides with when he takes that bit of extra bend in the front knee.

The whole business started when kickers wanted extra time to figure out which way the kicker has gone so they can go the other way. The fact that in the OP he has taken a shorter extra time doesn't make it legal.

Keepers have go a fraction of a second before the kick to have any chance. Take that small chance away then we might as well just award a goal instead a penalty.

That's the point isn't it? Keeper 'sells himself' taker has ro pause enough time to figure out where he should go. Note the pase coincides with when he takes that bit of extra bend in the front knee.

The whole business started when kickers wanted extra time to figure out which way the kicker has gone so they can go the other way. The fact that in the OP he has taken a shorter extra time doesn't make it legal.

Keepers have go a fraction of a second before the kick to have any chance. Take that small chance away then we might as well just award a goal instead a penalty.

Even at quarter speed I'm not seeing a stop, must be my eyes.

Wasn't the law brought in due to Paridinha's in Brazil such as @ 55s

Even at quarter speed I'm not seeing a stop, must be my eyes.

Wasn't the law brought in due to Paridinha's in Brazil such as @ 55s
Feint and stop are not synonyms. I don't see how you can watch the OP and not see the hitch as being a feint--it's a calculated action to deceive the GK as to where the kicker is going to kick the ball. That is pretty much the definition of a feint in the LOTG glossary. True that it is not as extreme as the Paraidnha, but IFAB chose "feint" not "stop" as the standard.

Feint and stop are not synonyms. I don't see how you can watch the OP and not see the hitch as being a feint--it's a calculated action to deceive the GK as to where the kicker is going to kick the ball. That is pretty much the definition of a feint in the LOTG glossary. True that it is not as extreme as the Paraidnha, but IFAB chose "feint" not "stop" as the standard.

I didn't introduce the term stop or pause to the thread, more to a feint than that.
Not a feint for me as I initially said.

Any confusing action is before his runup is completed, as evidence by the goalkeeper going early.

By that definition pointing which way you're going to go or giving them the eyes could be construed as a feint.

If it's an illegal feint to change the way you're going on the downswing I'll accept it as a feint by the laws of the game definition

Back