A&H

False Name Given (WWYD)

Max2

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
WWYD: What Would You Do?

Had an incident arise last weekend at a caution where the player gave me their name, then immediately said another. Player was asked if they were the former or the latter (the former).

What would you do? I’ll give more context later. (Not troubled about the incident, just thought it an interesting discussion topic)

The Referee Store

Had an incident arise last weekend at a caution where the player gave me their name, then immediately said another. Player was asked if they were the former or the latter (the former).

What would you do? I’ll give more context later. (Not troubled about the incident, just thought it an interesting discussion topic)

I have no interest in the name, I simply take shirt number.

if the shirt numbers later found to be someone else, thats the clubs error

not the greatest answer to the post I confess

This has happened to me!

I have a keeper a yellow for deliberate hand ball and took his name. Post game the manager came over and said the name he’d given was false and it was actually different. I used the name the manager gave to file a discipline report but I noted the original name wasn’t in WGS so I think he was a ringer or from a Saturday side.

either way I included it in my match report to the league.

In England, giving a false name, or refusing to give a name carries a separate charge.

Make a note in the report if you can. If you can’t, submit as a separate incident or contact the discipline officer for advice.

Where I ref we are expected to take the name as well as the shirt number.

Agree with most of the above, record the name and the false name (whichever way round) pass it all on to the powers that be.

Side note... A friend of mine takes great pleasure in recounting the 'argument' he got into in the middle of a game when a player said his name was "Mickey Mouse". Long story short the team sheet comes out and young Mr Michael Mouse was not only the recipient of a yellow, but also an interesting name from his parents too.

This has happened to me!

I have a keeper a yellow for deliberate hand ball and took his name. Post game the manager came over and said the name he’d given was false and it was actually different. I used the name the manager gave to file a discipline report but I noted the original name wasn’t in WGS so I think he was a ringer or from a Saturday side.

either way I included it in my match report to the league.
I had the same on my Saturday Leauge but put through original name as was on WGS and reported to Leauge suspect he is 1 away from a ban as it’s a cup game next week think they were trying to avoid him being banned.

Check on the teamsheet that the name/number matches. Oh, and we have a photo next to that now, so I'd look at that and see if he looks like him! If it is, spot on.

If it isn't him, then I'll grab the manager and ask him to confirm. If we're past that stage, misconduct report and notification of false name.

We have to take names, not allowed to go by numbers.

Personally I double-check pre and post match that the teamsheet, numbers etc match up, but it's easier to get things right now with the photo line ups etc.

I have no interest in the name, I simply take shirt number.

if the shirt numbers later found to be someone else, thats the clubs error

not the greatest answer to the post I confess
Isn’t it county FA requirement to be taking names, regardless of numbered team sheets or not?

Isn’t it county FA requirement to be taking names, regardless of numbered team sheets or not?
Not in Scotland, I'm guessing that us where Anubis is based. For every match at every level in Scotland, team lines are required and these must match the numbers worn. In 20+ years I have never refereed a match without teamlines so it makes issuing cards so much easier.

However those not in Scotland should follow the instructions of the competent authority

I cautioned a player this season who didn't seem clear when I asked him for his name, so alarm bells were ringing. I took the name he gave me, but unfortunately for him it wasn't on the team sheet. We spoke to the manager after the game who gave us his real name, which even more unfortunately wasn't on the team sheet but also wasn't the name of a registered player. The final bit of misfortune was that both my assistants were league committee members, all in all they had a bad day at the office 😂

Back