A&H

F*ck off

The industrial language used as it was in ths op is not a red card

crossed wires if you took my post to mean it cant ever be a red and i doubt i tyoed when directed at a match official that is ok

context, tone,readong of the big picture

we all knoaw the ultimate thing we can be called is not even a sweary word, its its context that riles us.

the man in the street point is binned instantly as the football park is not the same as the street, unless its a common occurance for violent conduct on the pitch to be met with police charges.
Striker elbows defende on pitch, red card, two games?
does it in the pub, possible court.

cant compare the two
In your opinion . . . meanwhile others have agreed with my post . . .

The Referee Store
In your opinion . . . meanwhile others have agreed with my post . . .

The op was about how a 13 yo gets a red for feck off to an opponent because of his age

it is this which am saying is not a red card based on his age.

unless the same ref sends off a 31 yo for the same offence of course

be no games getting to 5 mins in this weekend if, feck off, said to an opponent is a red.

Last Saturday at an U18 game a player behind me used the "C" word in frustration at himself. I immediately blew the whistle and gave a free against. Not sure what infringement I would have gone with - likely USB if needed. I quite angrily told him I would not accept that very offensive word being said in a match I was officiating, particularly with kids on the sideline. He immediately apologized and we got on with the game.
Not trying to undermine your decision here, but a genuine question about the laws. Is there any verbal offence where an IDFK and not a caution/dismissal can be awarded?

Isn' it funny how often this question is asked and debated :)
1637367156857.png

EDIT: I must add, Mr Elleray has also given advice which contradicts this. You'd think this would be made clear in law.. :(

Last edited:
View attachment 5303

EDIT: I must add, Mr Elleray has also given advice which contradicts this. You'd think this would be made clear in law..

View attachment 5303

EDIT: I must add, Mr Elleray has also given advice which contradicts this. You'd think this would be made clear in law.. :(
Law 12 seems clear - if the referee stops play for a verbal offence a caution or dismissal is the outcome, and an indirect free kick is the restart.
Stopping play without a caution or dismissal for a verbal offence shouldn't happen.

F*ck off is an offensive term
It really depends on the context. I've heard people say that phrase to a friend with a smile on their face, in a completely jovial manner, and where it was received in similarly light-hearted fashion by the person it was said to. In those situations it was used in such a way that offence was neither given, nor taken, nor experienced by anyone involved.

I've also heard it used in ways that I think almost anyone would find distinctly offensive.

Context is everything.

Law 12 seems clear - if the referee stops play for a verbal offence a caution or dismissal is the outcome, and an indirect free kick is the restart.
Stopping play without a caution or dismissal for a verbal offence shouldn't happen.
Completely agree. Many peop,e got confused when IFAB added awkward language with the intent to make clear that OFFINABUS could not be DFK a couple of years ago and thought IFAB was endorsing some unspecified verbal infractions that would be IFKs but not cautions.

if the R stops for something verbal and then decides he doesn’t want to caution after all, the restart is a DB, not an IFK.

Back